It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMA threads: A suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Like many other ATS members, I'm a big fan of the AMA threads, and I appreciate the work that goes into securing guests to appear in them, as well as the time that guests put into answering questions. However, one thing I've noticed is the chaotic nature of AMA threads and that often, people don't get their questions answered because the thread moves so quickly (I often don't even bother submitting a question for this reason). This must also be at times overwhelming for the guest, so I was thinking about a possible alternative to how AMA threads currently operate.

Perhaps a better way would be to announce an AMA thread and guest, and then have that thread act as a place for people to submit questions for a certain period of time. Say 48 hours (or whatever timeframe ATS deems acceptable). Do this BEFORE the guest is even participating, and then close the thread after the time is up. Then the guest can peruse the thread before any further posting takes place. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but maybe the guest could be given special access to the thread to post answers, and once the guest feels they are all caught up, the thread could be re-opened for a period of time for open discussion between members and the guest.

Just a suggestion. The current format works as well, but I figured maybe it could be improved on somehow. I'd be interested to hear ideas from others as well as to how ATS could improve this great feature.

So to summarize, the format would look something like this:

-ATS announces AMA thread. In the announcement, it lists who will be the guest, and when ATS will be taking questions from members (time and date). This thread is pinned to the front page, and then locked. This gives members a bit of time to formulate good questions.

-The thread remains locked until the posted time/date

-The thread is re-opened and members are allowed to post questions for a finite period of time determined by the staff

-The thread is locked again after that time expires, and the guest is allowed access to the thread to answer questions until they feel they are caught up

-The thread is re-opened for a predetermined period of time for open discussion between the guest and the members

-The thread is then locked after that time expires (or possibly allowed to stay open indefinitely depending on feedback from guests or their willingness and/or availability to continue engaging in discussion).
edit on 11-3-2014 by DeadSeraph because: further thoughts

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The AMA's would be a lot bettter if people submitted ONE question at at time.
Like at least 75% of Stan Friedmans AMA had multiple questions per post, and then a lot of waffle with them.
it would be easier for the questionee if they had one straight-forward question to answer.
And it would go a lot quicker therefore more questions answered

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

That is another reason I think the above format could work. Staff could go through and edit out repeat questions to make the thread easier to respond to for the guest.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It would also be nice if there were some ground rules laid down about what couldn't be asked about for each guest. My post was deemed off topic by a moderator even though it was on topic to the point of questioning something Stanton Friedman had just stated without explanation.

If this was due to Stanton not liking the question then that should be disclosed.

edit on 11-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

It seems out of line, the reason for them deeming your comment off-topic, but trust me there is a good reason. It happened with me yesterday, I shot a U2U to the person who did it, they told me the reason it was done, and I was left with a lot of clarity. I even found my answer. I found out that somebody else had asked that same question. I recommend replying with a U2U to the person who deleted your comment. I'm not sure if you tried that.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
what do you really want out of the AMA? whats at area 51? your not going to get it.

I would suggest start small. build credence.

The wild mustangs in Utah is a horrific conspiracy.
That is real.

The U-2 sply plane , Gary Powers and how we didnt know it was sputnik but knew it wasnt a missle maybe I get my dad to answer questions...
and how he did 80wpm morse code

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It would help if people listened to and followed the rules.

Ask a question, don't rewrite the Bible in the process.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

I wish I could give you a star for that. Wordiness is, hands down, bad grammar and bad etiquette.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

A good idea in another format, but what these type of on-line questions and answers do is give the reader and interviewee a feeling of being right there, "in the room", as the thread takes place. That's much of the enjoyment of things like this.
edit on 11-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It seems to me the AMA threads are a good idea from the point of view of the ATS site owners/managers, not so much the members.

The problem is pretty obvious - one person is fielding the questions from a lot of members, so there is little opportunity for free-flowing discussion.

The guest will try to answer as many questions as he/she can, which is probably a small proportion of the questions posed.

So most participating members will come away frustrated.

It can't be a very fulfilling experience for the guest either come to that (unless of course they're getting paid).

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I was fortunate to have Mr. Freidman in AMA answer my question....but I think it boils down to understanding the fact that it's not said they WILL or are even going to ATTEMPT to answer each and every question.

I think perhaps they read down through a lot of them and pick out the ones that have the most general meaning to the largest amount of readers.

And its a mistake I believe that because that forum is "ASK ME ANYTHING"...that you CAN ask anything.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I asked ONE question in regards to the work of Dr. Steven Greer and it was lost in the chaos; which I completely understand. Mods warned against repeating a question so I withheld.

However one particular member asked MULTIPLE questions in to which a few were actually answered. To the point of acknowledging repetitive questions.

I find it very frustrating...point made.

As far as bettering the session itself? Please require the guest to quote members when providing as response. It's confusing for all.

All being said I am greatful.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

You're right and it was frustrating but we'll get better as we do more of these. I tried not to crack down too hard but it didn't work, people just ignored the requests for courtesy so toward the end I got strict. I assure you that during the next one ANY question that is from someone who already asked one or any "question" that is couched in 5 paragraph essay on the person's world view, beliefs, whatever will be removed.

We'll get this tightened up with practice like we always do. Thanks for your patience.

I'd also like to let those who are complaining that their "question" couldn't have been "Off Topic" know that I used the "Off Topic" button because it's the only one that doesn't penalize their account with a "warning" or a points deduction. In other words, I was trying to be nice about it. sigh...

Springer...

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

FDA
AMA
ADA
APA
EPA
Pharma
Insurance
Financial Markets(Global)

Have one thing in common. Ever wonder why $ sign(symbol) looks like a snake crawling up a staff?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I am an offender of the 1 question rule. But in my defense, and the basis for my reply here.

I had asked a question on the first day (and got replied to). I monitored the threat the next day. In the mid afternoon, the tread appeared to be slowing. He was anwering questions-I saw were close to the end of the thread.

I then RE-read the whole thread to ensure no one had asked about Animial and Human Multilations (a topic that is often discussed here).

Without another avenue of approach, I decided in the interest of the members into that area would want to know what he thought. So I asked. Which was answered, again.

I would like to say I am sorry for violating the ground rules, but it is hard to when both questions were answered-almost validating my second question. IMO. But I do promise not to violate that rule again.

BUT, can we also think about a way for members to "propose" another question in an area not being covered (yet)-perhaps to a Mod. Or maybe put advance topic area suggestions up ahead of time so people can think adn get questions in properly?

Honestly, it all happened so fast.. I had no idea that was going to take place and was caught off guard.

edit on 3/12/2014 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join