It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do guns matter more to Americans than...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

buster2010

Wrong if these campuses receive any federal funding at all then they have to allow the rights that are given in the constitution.

Care to show me where that law is???
By that rational, anyone receiving welfare has to allow me to walk into their house and protest whatever.

buster2010
CaAnd if you do some checking it is public not private campuses that are denying students these rights you can only cry it's private when you deny public access.
Umm what now?

As I stated, if it's a P-R-I-V-A-T-E campus there is no right, regardless if they receive federal funds.

If this happens on public campuses, then there is an issue.

(post by Nolimits removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Because history repeats itself and gun laws/restrictions are only passed because Governments fear an armed population. Honestly, read a damn history book. I'm really getting tired of hearing this European drivel about how much safer they are without guns while general violence explodes.
edit on 15-3-2014 by simsumre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

To be blunt, OP, the points you listed are precisely why guns are so important to Americans. As it stands, TPTB are slowly boiling frogs in a large kettle, but if the citizenry were disarmed, TPTB would simply hit us with a sledgehammer.

Our Founding Fathers were wise and cautious men. They fully understood the potential dangers and abuses an out-of-control government could impose on the people. So in their wisdom, they saw fit to ensure the rights of the citizens to own firearms as a means to guarantee the other rights granted to mankind by right of birth unto this world. Without the ability to fight against tyranny and/or a foreign invader, the people have already lost all other rights, it is simply a matter of when, not if, those rights are stripped from the people.

I sincerely hope that we as a people will never need our guns to fight tyranny or a foreign invader, and while we have those guns we will likely never need them in that cause, because of the very existence of the arms we bear.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

macman

boymonkey74
reply to post by macman

How about a little respect for our laws? we just do not have your gun culture but it doesn't mean we are less free than you.
If you look into our history we the people have had up rising to get rid of the ruling class, we will do it again If needed.

So let me get this straight. You, as a Non-US person here, get to chime in on US laws, specifically OUR guns laws, and then get butt hurt when challenged about your own laws???

I have yet, to go onto a thread here on ATS, and tell other people in foreign countries what they need to do and not do, when it comes to THEIR laws.
Maybe you should follow the same idea. Instead of injecting your crap, then crying when shown your full of it.

Why would you do it on ATS when you spent years of your life strapping on boots and stomping around the world bringing your guns to knife fights and conveniently securing other countries' natural resources whilst convincing yourself that you were helping the people by.... CHANGING THEIR LAWS. Not to mention that you gladly accepted tax dollars for it. Later you'll go online to complain about poor people collecting financial aid because COLLECTING TAX DOLLARS IS STEALING.... which you somehow honestly believe is true as long as as the one collecting tax dollars isn't part of Team America: World Police.

Kettle, pot. Pot, kettle. Beware of negros.

For the record, I believe in the freedom to bear arms, I just think MacMan needs to stop arguing with his own lifestyle choices so consistently on this forum.

edit on 17-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

TheRegal

Why would you do it on ATS when you spent years of your life strapping on boots and stomping around the world bringing your guns to knife fights and conveniently securing other countries' natural resources whilst convincing yourself that you were helping the people by.... CHANGING THEIR LAWS. Not to mention that you gladly accepted tax dollars for it. Later you'll go online to complain about poor people collecting financial aid because COLLECTING TAX DOLLARS IS STEALING.... which you somehow honestly believe is true as long as as the one collecting tax dollars isn't part of Team America: World Police.

Excuse me???? I guess that you have willfully ignored what I have stated in past debates about my military service.
Or, you willfully ignored my stance on the current wars and that our military should not be used to police the world.
Maybe you really should remove the foot from your mouth and go and research a little bit as to what my stances are.

TheRegal
Kettle, pot. Pot, kettle. Beware of negros.

All you got is to call someone a racist. That is your "go to". Pretty pathetic.

TheRegal
For the record, I believe in the freedom to bear arms, I just think MacMan needs to stop arguing with his own lifestyle choices so consistently on this forum.
You really really really need to go and research a bit.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Well that was rude.
Top chap Mac is, straight as a die and I like him for it.
Glad we have dudes braver than myself willing to put themselves in harms way for us.
We all think we are right and rarely do we change our minds on ATS but sometimes just sometimes If you listen to others you will change your mind...drastically, and Mac is one dude who showed me the reasons why people in the states need different things and think differently than myself here in the UK.
Yeah we can lose our rag everynow and then but at the end of the day I would have a pint with any dude or dudette on ATS.
Mind you I have had 6 today

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
To put it bluntly......If not for the 2nd Amendment, we would'nt have any rights at all.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

If we don't stand up and defend the Constitution, it won't be there to defend us.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

bastion
reply to post by thesaneone

And? People in every country are born with rights. The difference lies in a codified or uncodified constitution and how the rule of law is phrased. In the UK I have the right to do whatever unless it impinges on the rights of others.

reply to post by macman

How so? All those rights are not granted unless stated in those documents. All rights over here are granted unless explicitly removed.
edit on 11-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

Our consitution and bill of rights cover the all your basic freedoms without taking any away that I'm aware of and even help safeguard freedoms you don't have, like the right to have guns to fight tyranical rulers....like how we fought off the British.

And your going to sit there and tell me that you don't have any thing that explicitly removes some of your rights? Or even have any grey areas? You are full of crap. I'm quite sure your country has laws. Laws which restrict certain things. Like where can build property. How does that law not restrict a freedom? The freedom to build what you what and where you want? All countries have laws that violate freedoms to some degree. Some are wosre then others. The American people that love their guns are trying to protect their freedoms from what is looking more and more like a nazi era government. I suppose we just don't want to end up like a bunch of disarmed jews in a concetrantion camp....or rather a bunch of "domestic terrorists" in FEMA camps because we wish to continue to have other freedoms that the guns laws help protect by ascerting this possibility of threat. If I can't make you see our perspective with that being said, then you will never understand, and I should save my breath because you are either completely incapable of empathizing with our perspective or are a shill of some sort bent on promoting an agenda. Not that I actually believe that, but I won't rule it out as a possibility because it never ceases to amaze me how many threads I see from people in other countries that have a stick up their ass about this. I guess I'm with others in this thread in that, I can't help but wonder why you give a #.

I don't go posting threads asking people of the UK why they are so complacent about giving away their gun rights because it's none of my #ing business. I don't live there.
edit on 20-3-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A rather long video but it basically answers why... and the when of the why... and the cause of the why... History, court rulings, the constitution, and why every word in the constitution is there for a reason.. Posted for our international members who wonder or think we Americans are crazy about guns; it runs much deeper for those who believe in America and the Constitution . Either way it is a fairly well done video without major hype

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

As u just listed the problems we have are from government intervention. Corporations may have influence, but the oligarchy decides which corporation will be the winners and losers.

The 2nd amendment is there is when they push up too far off the ledge we can take our country back as the final option. We know one day it will get there, so we will never give up our guns knowing that it is necessary for the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

What I don't get is why some feel the need to tell others how their country should be run. Why do these people care so much? WHY? If they lived in this country it would be fair for them to argue for their position but there are 100s of discussions like this one and they just grind on and on between people from outside of the USA. I have no doubt that a citizen of China could articulate the benefits and wonders of communism to lets say a Brit. (I have a Chinese friend that does!) The Chinese fellow could go on and on about how beautiful their country is and what a great system of government communism is and why the Brit should advocate communism. I'm betting that this British fellow would get pretty irritated pretty quickly with that discussion. So why then would this hypothetical Brit think that an American would take this intrusion into our government differently? Pretty tiring and really boring.

Keep up the good fight macman, I have just given up the debate because it is futile, you just cannot get through, and frankly I really don't care how they choose to live their life over there. Perhaps that is the part that gets to them, they are insecure in their belief and need to continually reinforce it.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I am prepared to write this in reply and it is my own opinion as many others have strong ones on this site.

Show of hands how many have had to field strip an M16 or any other weapon in that class or even blindfolded, fired a law, an RPG, M60 or 50 cal ? or any other assortment of firearms ? I have but let me tell you, it is hell to have to clean it properly and care for it, I respect all guns and firearms, and I am a vet but at that point, I do not have that gun lust that a lot of others seem to have, my first impression as a young 19 year old soldier in the U.S. Arrmy back in the day was this, after awhile it sunk in, what I have in my possession is essentially a people killer, nothing more, nothing less, not for hunting, not for show, it is the instrument to protect myself and at the same time kill another human being and keep it moving.

My first NRA certificate which I still have was earned with a 22 rifle when I was around 13 years old, and i still have it, I actually joined that organization later on in life after the military, only so I could use the free indoor range, nothing more nothing less, no political reasons or anything.

I tend to have formed my own opinions about why the gun worship in this country is and always has existed , yes we have the right to bear arms but some have taken to the extreme in bearing armies and armories of any weapon known to man regardless of sheer people killing capacity per minute.

I really believe this.....

Nestled away at the back of many a person's mind is this one fact, take a look around at everything you see, the land and the air you breathe on the North American continent, without that gun or the muskets none of it would be possible we'd probably still be in Europe, is a gun god ? why of course not but with a gun one has the power of one, it is the key to survival, protection and most assuredly conquest and power, so powerful that after the muskets and canons even greater means had to be acquired to assure security and overall godhood amongst all nations all the way to the nuclear option.

I think people know deep down what guns did to the Indians and to those they were used against who had none in almost all colonial conquest and expansion that took place after the invention all over the globe, most people never want to find themselves on the receiving end of that equation which is what will essentially happen if disarmament of the citizens happens, they will become the conquered.

The gun is that great god that at one's fingertip can fell the largest and most fierce of animals " the lions, the tigers and bears " oh my ! the thing that made Safari's butchering hundreds of animals a reality, in an instant the king of the jungle could be rendered into a heap of flesh as well as the biggest of bull elephants, so it could be mounted on a wall to brag about one's manly abilities or really not so manly, guns are that last piece of hope that somehow the chickens of old do not come home to roost here in the U.S.A, it is the last protection for the man who could never protect himself physically against any overwhelming physical force or any overwhelming force that outnumbers you, the gun is that last bastion of hope and protection the great equalizer cubed, without the gun, one is merely that fragile piece of work here on the planet , the human being with the sling, slingshot, bow and arrow or spear, fierce, but no match for that muzzle velocity and smell of carbon and feel of hot brass casings.

Most can think of all the B.S. excuses why the gun is in such high esteem and practically worshiped in America, because it is the key to why we do have this country, without the gun none of this would be possible, defeat would have been handed to us long ago.

We all know the real reasons why that instrument of destruction or mercy is held in such high esteem.

The number one reason is FEAR , and I have to ask some of these eccentrics, FEAR of what? but besides that we know that
It gives anyone powers beyond the physical capabilities of a single individual and will equalize any situation at least momentarily and give the owner somehow a "better piece of mind"? all at the pull of a trigger, you can make the bogey man or your worst nightmares disappear.

edit on 20-3-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Fromabove

2. 45-50 hours of work per week is the mid range as we are hard working people. We are also those with the highest standard of living per total population. Take Europe for example, they are mostly entitlement minded and oppressed by their governments. They cannot have guns either. They're not really free at all. From this side of the pond to us they seem like they hate to work but love to live off of those few that do.

OP,

All you need to read is this absurd reply. Truth is that MANY Americans *are* thinking like that.

I think it's ironic that this reply comes after you made like dozens or so really good points of what is "wrong" with the US, point being that it goes in people's ears and the other ear out and obviously cannot mentally be "processed". Short: Even if you show them how they are (very real) getting screwed over and SHOW them that the living standard in a good number other countries is actually higher or that "in Europe" people are actually not being "oppressed by the government" (what absurd nonsense is that anyway?)...they will continue waving their flag proclaiming that the US is "the best country in the world" (incl. their healthcare, social system etc.) and "how free" they are working for $7/hr without health care etc. or simply accepting that a medical emergency etc. would mean the financial ruin of a family....and so forth, and so forth.

You're asking WHY this is so that many Americans rather go protesting about guns but cannot see those things or don't consider them important...(I mean this reply us a good example).

I don't think it can be "explained" because in my opinion it's a matter of mentality. But also things like education etc. and a self-centered way of thinking where what's going on in other countries is not really of interest respective doesn't play a role.

The illusion you can achieve anything
>>
3.) "we can be all that we want...if we just work hard for it".
>>
Pure nonsense. But they need this illusion that hard work will always get rewarded. While it's true that some of the wealthy may have become wealthy from hard work, this is just a naive generalization which doesn't apply to many people. A lot "normal" people work hard, not one, often two even three jobs in the US just to be able to pay off their CC debts and are still poor. This is the reality in today's US.

edit on 42014R000000ThursdayAmerica/Chicago40PMThursdayThursday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I don't think that guns matter "more" than anything else necessarily, but rather it's a right that we have and some of us appreciate it. Whether that right is for self-defense, or hunting or target practice or skeet shooting leagues it's an option. I personally like options and my right to have a gun for self-protection means a great deal to me. I hope to never have to use it in that manner but I feel better knowing I at least stand a chance if the worse case scenario were to happen. Hopefully, I'll never have to face that situation.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join