It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cape Coral Woman Off Grid, Kicked from Home 4 sayin so on TV - internat'l property maintenance code

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I'm lucky enough that I have a well with a brushless pump that use's very little electric, the water bills for people that use water in town is very expensive like yours.

Again its all in where you live, had people known what was coming I'm sure they might have done things a little different, just about to late now.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by evc1shop

This is a very common attitude, that bad laws can be easily circumvented so what is the big deal. I see it put forward with respect to taxes in particular.

The big deal is that we should not have to and that it degrades the legitimacy of all other laws.

I actually feel the same in regard to not having to do it. I am connected to the grid but know I can survive off grid because I am almost completely there and have a chance to practice at getting more efficient daily.

The woman here should be able to connect up and then not use the utilities and then prove to the regulators that she can do it and does not need the connections. I mean presenting them with 3-4 months of almost zero dollar bills should be able to prove that. That would be a good way to challenge things without being removed from your own home. In fact, she could blog about it and show others how to knock their utility costs down while garnering support in her community and online.

Of course, she really should not be using the camp lanterns and propane stoves in the house so I hope she does so with a CO detector nearby.

Also, for what she probably pays for the little bottles of propane, she must not be doing this to save $.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Blackmarketeer
PS: never heard of the "International maintenance code" being adopted anywhere, can anyone shed a light on this or how it's being applied?

edit on 11-3-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

I may be able to help some here. Here is a link to my response in the thread that Wrabbit links in one of his reponses here. I read up on the International Code Council (ICC), who wrote the International Maintenance Code.

Basically, the ICC is an association made up of "experts" in their respective fields who sit around and think up these "codes". I see the ICC as more of a 'think tank', really. But it is by no means an "international" organization that I could find, nor is it a government organization with any authority to impose their set of "codes". What happens is that municipalities, counties, towns...what have you... have to vote to adopt these "codes" into their local standards. The way I see it is more like local governments, being to lazy to do the work themselves, go to the ICC and grab a set of pre-written "codes", vote on it, and then enforce it.

I think this woman is being given the shaft and probably would have had no issue had she not gone on TV and let in prying eyes. She's lived there for a long time with no issues, the video shows that her dwelling is clean and well kept. The outside of her dwelling is well kept also and in no way seems to be posing any danger to her neighbors who have not reported her living conditions previous to this. Local "codes" not withstanding, this whole thing has nothing to do with her safety and well being, nor the safety and well being of her neighbors... it's all about the almighty green back. Sad.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

thanks that was an excellent summary...
and go trudeau...man that guy wrote a good strip

pre written STANDARDIZED codes...cheep, or lazy, municipalities...
easy to sneak the agenda 21 in...by virtue of the mindset of the authors

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

greencmp
reply to post by evc1shop

This is a very common attitude, that bad laws can be easily circumvented so what is the big deal. I see it put forward with respect to taxes in particular.

The big deal is that we should not have to and that it degrades the legitimacy of all other laws.

I actually feel the same in regard to not having to do it. I am connected to the grid but know I can survive off grid because I am almost completely there and have a chance to practice at getting more efficient daily.

The woman here should be able to connect up and then not use the utilities and then prove to the regulators that she can do it and does not need the connections. I mean presenting them with 3-4 months of almost zero dollar bills should be able to prove that. That would be a good way to challenge things without being removed from your own home. In fact, she could blog about it and show others how to knock their utility costs down while garnering support in her community and online.

Of course, she really should not be using the camp lanterns and propane stoves in the house so I hope she does so with a CO detector nearby.

Also, for what she probably pays for the little bottles of propane, she must not be doing this to save $.

Odd because I live in the middle of Amish and they extensively use propane for lighting, refrigeration, and onsite generation of their minimal electric needs. The only issue would be if she were striking sewer services from tthe municipality by flushing captured water down the municipal sewer lines without paying for the service where it is typically metered from at the incoming water meter. Courts have ruled that municipalities can prohibit alternative human waste treatments such as composting toilets not be the primary system but she could strike .sn annual deal with a porta- pot company to come empty as needed then never use it.

Amish around here have bought plenty of homes in towns with codes and turn the utilities off as soon as they are done with the initial remodeling work. Most of them do leave the water/sewer service on as they are prohibited from drilling a well but put in water capture systems to minimize the amount of water they buy. They also house horses on properties where other people would be ttold they don't have enough acreage. Nothin gets said because such a case hitting media headlines would cast a lot of inquiry into the infringement on rights many of these codes cause.

Yeah I know I'm bumping an old thread but I find the topic fascinating.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I had heard this story somewhere else and it makes me want to vomit.
Thanks for posting it here.
Why would anyone support a government that does things like this?

And yet we have the "veterans" today (11-11) proud of their service to this POS country that does this sort of thing.....

HAPPY VETERANS DAY everyone.....where they think they defend the constitution but do NOTHING to actually defend it......Pieces of #.....

Where the F&ck are you Oath Keepers? Drinking at the local American Legion drinking yourselves to death?
edit on 11-11-2014 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Even if you HAVE to be hooked up, can't be forced to USE it...

That's the way around it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The Only thing you should need to keep them happy
should be a sewer pipe or cesspit.
you can get water from the rain.

why do you need electricity?
you dont need a phone or cable tv.
any one know if they have laws like this in UK?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I've read this story before and the main issue was that she was using the city's sewer system without paying for it. They shut it off when she refused to pay her bill.
A judge already threw out the decision about her use of solar power. She still needs to pay the sewer bill and use an approved water source.

www.orlandosentinel.com...

If she isn't doing those things after a court order, they are going to evict you. In theory these zoning codes are set by your elected officials locally. If you do not like the codes, petition to change them or find somewhere more lax. I'm pretty sympathetic to the "off-the-grid" thing, but this lady was in arrears more than 4 grand in water/sewer, so her story isn't adding up to me. I don't know how much your water bill is every month, but mine is pretty damn low. $4k is a lot of water and sewer usage. I don't think she's doing what she says she is doing.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Danbones
well if they want to inforce this code why dont they start it in third wprld countries to help them have better living conditions

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
The Only thing you should need to keep them happy
should be a sewer pipe or cesspit.
you can get water from the rain.

why do you need electricity?
you dont need a phone or cable tv.
any one know if they have laws like this in UK?

Am not fully up on the "laws" here, but I can tell you that where I am living at the moment, a chap has a borehole. He is charged about £1000.00 a year by the "water company" for "abstracting the water the water company OWNS". I, myself live on a canal boat and filter my own water from the canal, right down to drinking level. All the water is returned to the canal after use, as is normal on U.K. canals, and I have a composting toilet. I recieved a letter from British Waterways informing me of the "law" which states: "No water may be taken from the canal, except for engine cooling purposes". They told me I was commiting a "criminal offense" by using the canal water for washing and drinking. I just ignored them and never heard anymore, but how ludicrous can it get?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join