It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Breaking News Ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych said he is still President will retrn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
** NOTE - The article title is to long for the subject area - condensed so more would fit - Full title below.

Its from CNN's breaking news twitter account (CNN Breaking News‏@cnnbrk · 21m ). If someone has the other side of the coin media sources please post.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk · Ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych said he is still lawful leader of his country and will return as soon as circumstances allow.

FoxNews - Ousted Ukraine President Yanukovych says 'extremists' hold power in Kiev

Russians enter town north of Crimea, say Ukrainians

KHERSON, Ukraine – Ukrainians in the Kherson province just north of Crimea say Russian operatives have moved into the territory, an incursion which, if true, could show Vladimir Putin has more than just the Black Sea peninsula in his sights.

Residents of the village of Chonhar, in the Kherson region of Ukraine, say Russian troops showed up last week in armored personnel carriers, prompting the dispatch of Ukrainian troops and a standoff. The suspected Russian troops pulled back and established a checkpoint on a major road leading north from the Crimean capital of Simferopol.

Click link for remainder of article.

RT - Ukrainian military won't listen to 'junta' in Kiev - Yanukovich Published time: March 11, 2014 09:25 Edited time: March 11, 2014 10:02

Ukrainian officers and soldiers loyal to their oaths will not take criminal orders from the coup-imposed government in Kiev, ousted President Viktor Yanukovich told reporters.

He added that as a legitimate head of state he also remains commander-in-chief of Ukraine.

“I am still alive and I am still the legitimate president,” Yanukovich said Tuesday in a statement to the media in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don.

He accused the coup-imposed government of “shooting your own people” in an apparent reference to the allegations that somebody in the current government hired snipers to shoot at both protesters and police officers during the February confrontation and escalate the violence. The new authorities in Kiev “will sooner or later be held accountable for the suffering of the people,” Yanukovich said.

Yanukovich blasted western officials who had recognized the government in Kiev, despite the way it came into power and its connection to right-wing radicals.

“Are you blind? Have you forgotten what fascism is?” he said.

He criticized Washington for its decision to provide a $1 billion loan to the new authorities in Kiev, saying that US law forbids financial support for any government that came to power in a military coup, ousting a legitimately elected head of state. Yanokovich said he would appeal to American legislators to assess the perceived violation.

Yanukovich warned that Ukrainians are facing a serious fall in their living standards due to economic austerity measures that Kiev will have to take to secure western aid. The authorities will blame Yanukovich and probably Russia for this, he predicted, adding that these would be false accusations.

He also mentioned the defiance towards Kiev in Crimea and eastern Ukraine.

click link for remainder of article.

This announcement raises some very serious concerns. The "Crimean military units" alone are not enough to engage the Ukrainian military. The only way The former President will be coming back is to invade the rest of Ukraine and go for total occupation.

That will require Russia.

The confusing part was Putin's view of the former Ukrainian President. Specifically where he stated he has no future in politics. Could it be possible the former Ukrainian President is being used by Russia to take Ukraine? As we see from all sides the lip service does not allows translate into reality.

My other question - Have we found out if the Ukrainian President is still alive? I ask that because of the topic. As of now, unless I missed something, there seems to only be press / twitter updates on what the former Ukrainian President thinks. No one has actually verified he is the one behind the messages / announcement.

I'm thinking in this case with regards to the former President - Pics or it never happened (< sarcasm).

Thoughts?
edit on 11-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
yes, i have some thoughts... so does putin

chimp hacks voting machine
no need for a response
actions speak louder then words

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that President Yanukovych, through the mediation of the Foreign Ministers of three European countries – Poland, Germany and France – and in the presence of my representative (this was the Russian Human Rights Commissioner Vladimir Lukin) signed an agreement with the opposition on February 21. I would like to stress that under that agreement (I am not saying this was good or bad, just stating the fact) Mr Yanukovych actually handed over power. He agreed to all the opposition’s demands: he agreed to early parliamentary elections, to early presidential elections, and to return to the 2004 Constitution, as demanded by the opposition. He gave a positive response to our request, the request of western countries and, first of all, of the opposition not to use force. He did not issue a single illegal order to shoot at the poor demonstrators. Moreover, he issued orders to withdraw all police forces from the capital, and they complied. He went to Kharkov to attend an event, and as soon as he left, instead of releasing the occupied administrative buildings, they immediately occupied the President’s residence and the Government building – all that instead of acting on the agreement.

oh wait..pardon me...it IS american style democracy!

Summary table - Number of czars per administration

en.wikipedia.org...

For example, Mr Kolomoisky was appointed Governor of Dnepropetrovsk. This is a unique crook. He even managed to cheat our oligarch Roman Abramovich two or three years ago. Scammed him, as our intellectuals like to say. They signed some deal, Abramovich transferred several billion dollars, while this guy never delivered and pocketed the money. When I asked him [Abramovich]: “Why did you do it?” he said: “I never thought this was possible.” I do not know, by the way, if he ever got his money back and if the deal was closed. But this really did happen a couple of years ago. And now this crook is appointed Governor of Dnepropetrovsk. No wonder the people are dissatisfied.

www.informationclearinghouse.info...
edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago58 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Any reason you left out the last part of Putins speech?

ask myself, what was the purpose of all this? I want to understand why this was done. He had in fact given up his power already, and as I believe, as I told him, he had no chance of being re-elected. Everybody agrees on this, everyone I have been speaking to on the telephone these past few days. What was the purpose of all those illegal, unconstitutional actions, why did they have to create this chaos in the country? Armed and masked militants are still roaming the streets of Kiev. This is a question to which there is no answer. Did they wish to humiliate someone and show their power? I think these actions are absolutely foolish. The result is the absolute opposite of what they expecte...

Even Putin agrees he gave up power.

The Ukrainian Constitution allows a replacement if the current President dies / is impeached / resigned.

the last parts, impeached / resigned, seems to fit into the picture yes? no?

As for your invocation of Czars - Do some more research because they are not the same thing as appointing people un Ukraine.

What's your opinion on the reports / media coverage / video of Pro Ukrainian protestors being assaulted by the Russian / pro Russian forces in Crimea?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

nope i didn't leave it out on purpose
i linked to it so it could be read by every one

i just like to watch the pot call the kettle black thats all

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Xcathdra
the last parts, impeached / resigned, seems to fit into the picture yes? no?

Does fleeing, maybe for you life constitute resigning? Maybe something more like desertion?

And where did he flee to? Russia, no? Isn't Putin his bud? Did Putin really say that he gave up his office? Maybe they've come up with another plan.

He might technically be correct, but this kind of technicality could take years to unravel.

Rushing off to work but just wanted to get this thoughts down for later exploration.
edit on 3/11/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

~Lucidity
Does fleeing, maybe for you life constitute resigning? Maybe something more like desertion?

That's another point of contention since we have conflicting statements from Putin and Yanukovych. According to Viktor Yanukovych he never fled. His position was he had meetings he had to attend in that region of Ukraine.

If he did not flee then how can Putin state had he not left he would have been killed?

~Lucidity
And where did he flee to? Russia, no? Isn't Putin his bud? Did Putin really say that he gave up his office? Maybe they've come up with another plan.
Yes he went to Russia and yes Putin stated Yanukovych had given up power.

~Lucidity
He might technically be correct, but this kind of technicality could take years to unravel.
Its a moot point - The former President says is is coming back.. We have Russian troops in the neighboring province north of Crimea. The only way he is coming back is to persuade Russia to invade.

Since Putin stated they would never invade Ukraine....

~Lucidity
Rushing off to work but just wanted to get this thoughts down for later exploration.
edit on 3/11/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Thanks

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the answers.

Also? Why didn't he say this initially or sooner? Why the wait?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I am thinking that him leaving was a good thing .Had Gaddafi fled to a safer place he may have been able to have either taken his case to the world and shown it was a western backed coup .Or with help of a neighbor recaptured his country . Yaunukovych might be playing the only cards he had at the time to get out of dodge .I am glad he did because we really don't need to see crazy people dragging someone else through the streets and murdering him no matter how bad the guy might be .He did agree to the conditions to have early elections and to take the constitution back to it's earlier date . It wasn't like he was going to be a very effective leader but with the vacuum created the plotters of this have only created a bigger mess for the people of Ukraine . Edit to add Paul Craig Roberts has a good piece up at ICH It's a commentary on Putin's press conference www.informationclearinghouse.info... "Americans have not experienced political leadership or an independent media for such a long time that they will be amazed at the straightforward answers from the Russian President and by media asking real questions, some of which show the influence of Washington’s propaganda.
Americans will also be struck by how greatly the facts of the Ukraine situation diverge from the constant stream of lies that flow from Washington, its European puppets, and presstitute media."

"Notice that Putin repeatedly asks why the West created the crisis in Ukraine. He makes the important point that in post-Soviet countries, legality and democracy are fragile. Democracy and legality are not furthered by overthrowing democracy before it has taken roots and placing in office an unelected government by force and illegality. It is impossible to argue with this point. Why, indeed, did the West murder democracy and constitutional order in Ukraine?"
edit on 11-3-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

That's a breaking news in my country also. www.jn.pt...

The statements of this so called political are absurd: So he says: that the Ukrainian presidential elections that have announced for 25 May would be "illegal and unlawful".

But in the other hand, the annexation of Crimea and the Referendum to be hold to join the Russian Federation ... Are totally legal..

Return of "Jedi President" www.bbc.com...
In this speech, if you substitute Ucranian Extremists for Russian Federation... You will be surprised w/ truth and accuracy of the same speech.

Crimea Referendum: www.bbc.com...

Clearly this guy is a Pro Ucranian President... can't anybody see this...

edit on v2014147America/ChicagoTue, 11 Mar 2014 07:08:49 -05002 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
the difference is russia diddn't spend billions destabilizing the ukraine and installing neo nazis
remember the nazis killed gazzzilions of russians a few years ago in ww2, and the bolshivics that were installed by the bankers at the turn of the last century killed some ten million ukranians
now those same banking interests are at it again

yup putin ios an evil thug alright...hes killed how many people again?

not much different then the cuban missle crisis...in some ways

counterpunch seems to have compiled an accurate non putin veiw of the progression of events

Chronology of the Ukrainian Coup

Listening to the US media, even the most diligent news junkie would find it difficult to know that the U.S. State Department played not only a vital role in the violence and chaos underway in Ukraine but was also complicit in creating the coup that ousted democratically elected President Viktor Yanuyovch. Given the Russian Parliament’s approval of Putin’s request for military troops to be moved into Crimea, Americans uninformed about the history of that region might also be persuaded that Russia is the aggressor and the sole perpetrator of the violence.

Let’s be clear about what is at stake here: NATO missiles on the adjacent Ukraine border aimed directly at Russia would make that country extremely vulnerable to Western goals and destabilization efforts while threatening Russia’s only water access to its naval fleet in Crimean peninsula, the Balkans, the Mediterranean Sea and the Middle East – and not the least of which would allow world economic dominance by the US, the European Union, the IMF, World Bank and international financiers all of whom had already brought staggering suffering to millions around the globe.

The fact is that democracy was not a demand on the streets of Kiev. The current record of events indicates that protests of civil dissatisfaction were organized by reactionary neo-Nazi forces intent on fomenting a major domestic crisis ousting Ukraine’s legitimate government. As events continue to spiral out of control, here is the chronology of how the coup was engineered to install a government more favorable to EU and US goals.....

www.counterpunch.org...
yup thats spreading democracy all right
i recall when cnn said russia invaded georgia....look how that turned out
oooops....someone zoomed in on the insignia and...oooopsi
dyslexia holycrappus
edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago51 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago26 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago05 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago40 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

~Lucidity
Thanks for the answers.

The referendum on Crimea while putting the pieces in place for them to annex E. Ukraine?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

voyger2

That's a breaking news in my country also. www.jn.pt...

The statements of this so called political are absurd: So he says: that the Ukrainian presidential elections that have announced for 25 May would be "illegal and unlawful".

The Ukrainian Constitution requires the government to hold elections within 90 days of the Presidents removal.
Ironically enough the former Ukrainian President has some gall stating the may elections are illegal. Even more so since the elections in Crimea are illegal.

LOL - Elections for Ukraine - He says extremists..
What would one call the groups in Crimea who are attacking anyone that is not Pro Russia? Or the fact the ballot only has 2 choices - yes and yes. The loss of free media.. The loss of being able to protest...

Exactly where did Yanukovych get the 75 million for the residence when he only makes 25k a year?

Yanukovych has ethics that would raise eyebrows in the court of Caligula.

voyger2
But in the other hand, the annexation of Crimea and the Referendum to be hold to join the Russian Federation ... Are totally legal..

So Russia claims... I like how Putin invokes Ukrainian constitution being violated for the removal of the former President of Ukraine, while at the same time ignoring the fact the Ukrainian constitution does not allow Crimea to take the actions they are. Ukrainian territorial changes are reserved to the federal government.

voyger2
Return of "Jedi President" www.bbc.com...
In this speech, if you substitute Ucranian Extremists for Russian Federation... You will be surprised w/ truth and accuracy of the same speech.

Crimea Referendum: www.bbc.com...

Clearly this guy is a Pro Ucranian President... can't anybody see this...

edit on v2014147America/ChicagoTue, 11 Mar 2014 07:08:49 -05002 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

The manner in which all of this is occurring... We might as well pitch a tent and charge admission. Its gonna be one hell of a circus.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Interesting as the last oligarch to have conflict with Roman Abramovich committed suicide shortly after writing an apology note asking forgiveness that was reportably delivered to Putin by Abramovich. The sad part is it looks like Ukraine is being fought over by pro-Russian oligarchs and pro-US/EU oligarchs. The 2nd and 4th richest men in Ukraine have been appointed governors by the interim government of major industrial territories. In the Ukraine not only do the super rich control the government they actually are the government now.

en.wikipedia.org...(businessman)

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 11-3-2014 by john452 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Mr Yanukovych actually handed over power.

just a note to mention i did agree putin said the ex did give up power
its in the quote i posted up front in my original post

@John452

the difference is it appears that its the russian oligarchs and the russians vs the international oligarghs and the ukranians
can you see the distinction?
edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago34 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago19 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Thanks for the link to the counter punch piece .A bit of factual history always shine light into the darkness and should produce a reasoned opinion . I thought this part quite telling " Tyanhybok visited Germany in 2010 to stand in solidarity with John Damanjuk, the Ukrainian-American convicted of abetting mass murder in death camps in Poland. Around that time close aide Yuriy Mykhalchyshyn established a think tank originally called “the Joseph Goebbels Political Research Center.” (No, I am not making this up. The name has changed in pragmatic deference to international public opinion, but the think tank’s still there.)" Add to the present time frame we might conclude it aint the Ukraine's getting what they would like .....peace
edit to add link www.counterpunch.org...
edit on 11-3-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Danbones
the difference is russia diddn't spend billions destabilizing the ukraine and installing neo nazis
remember
You might want to check the cash flow between Russia and Ukraine. Those numbers are in the billions as well, and as we both know, a counter argument can be applied about all Russian loan financing to Ukraine with that money going to their side of the extremists.

Danbones
the nazis killed gazzzilions of russians a few years ago in ww2, and the bolshivics that were installed by the bankers at the turn of the last century killed some ten million ukranians now those same banking interests are at it again
Tens of millions of Ukrainians - cite a source please?

Cossack Units in the German military killed a bunch of Russians as well.

If memory serves, you have the east bloc countries that the Soviet Union / Russia illegally occupied over the last 50 years. The governments of the occupied soviet zone were hand picked / installed by the Soviet / Russian government. People like Putin / KGB ensured their loyalty.

Danbones
yup putin ios an evil thug alright...hes killed how many people again?

The second Chechen war

Estimates of casualties in the Second Chechen War vary wildly, from 25,000 to 200,000 civilian dead plus 8,000 to 40,000 Russian military. (Separate figures for Chechen military fatalities from the second war only are not yet referenced in this article.)

Note: Some of these figures include the First Chechen War of 1994-1996. They usually don't include the death toll in Dagestan, Ingushetia, and other neighbouring regions of North Caucasus, where the violence spilled-off from Chechnya.

Danbones
not much different then the cuban missle crisis...in some ways

Not really... The difference deal with nuclear weapons and not conventional weapons. While to soviets removed their missiles (and we removed ours from Turkey) Cuba still had missiles pointed at the US. As a sovereign nation Cuba has a right to defend itself and to that end they have a military.

In this case you/they seem to be making an argument for intervention in Ukraine as a means to stop Ukraine from deploying missiles on the border with Russia. Is that where you were going with your position? I ask because on the flip side Ukraine just had 150k Russian military performing maneuvers / exercises on their border. Not to mention Crimea / caucus region.

Danbones
counterpunch seems to have compiled an accurate non putin veiw of the progression of events

Chronology of the Ukrainian Coup

Listening to the US media, even the most .....snipped to reduce the wall of text...Mediterranean Sea and the Middle East – and not the least of which would allow world economic dominance by the US, the European Union, the IMF, World Bank and international financiers all of whom had already brought staggering suffering to millions around the globe.
yeeaahh... Not biased at all. The wording she used in her article are close to identical with the Russian talking points. Secondly her article back info comes from Paul Roberts, a person who also works for PressTV - Iranian state media). With that said I can see where she is basing some of her positions on (outside of the talking points).

The other issue is her argument about NATO missiles on the Russia border. Its already there and has been there since the mid / late mid 1990's.

Estonia / Latvia / Lithuania / Poland - Each country is a member of NATO and each country shares a direct border with Russia. So I am not sure how "missiles on Russia's border" has any affect at all. The US and Russia have missiles pointed at each and our nations are only about 50 miles apart....

Danbones
The fact is that democracy was not a demand on the streets of Kiev.

So when Yanukovych signed a law that prohibited protesting, and then we see protesting on the street, how is that not a demand for freedom?

You had people protesting between Russia vs EU groups / decision - How is that not freedom / demanding freedom?
You have people protesting against the government / for the government - how is that not freedom / demanding freedom?
You have people protesting while being shot at by Yanukovych orders, knowing they could be killed.

Finally - They continued the protests even while taking gun fire. They were going to be heard, regardless, which to me is in fact demanding freedom.

Crimea -

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause."

Shut down all media outlets.
Confiscated passports of people who don't want anything to do with Russia.
You have Cossack mobs attacking protestors who are not Pro Russian.
You have a rigged election in the making...

So yeah... I very much see Ukrainians demand freedom, both the mainland and the Crimea.

Danbones
The current record of events indicates that protests of civil dissatisfaction were organized by reactionary neo-Nazi forces intent on fomenting a major domestic crisis ousting Ukraine’s legitimate government. As events continue to spiral out of control, here is the chronology of how the coup was engineered to install a government more favorable to EU and US goals.....
Like I said, she is using the talking points put out by Russia.

Maybe you can tell me - Why has Russia not turned over evidence to support their many claims to the UN? The UN requested the information and it still has yet to be provided. Since Russia is accusing the US / West / EU of fomenting instability, one would think they would produce evidence to support the claims. Even more so since it would embarrass the West /EU / US - A coup for Putin.

......................nothing.

Danbones
www.counterpunch.org...
yup thats spreading democracy all right
i recall when cnn said russia invaded georgia....look how that turned out
oooops....someone zoomed in on the insignia and...oooopsi
dyslexia holycrappus

What is occurring in Ukraine is democratic.
What is occurring in Crimea is an invasion and occupation while doing the very thing, attacking people who aren't pro Russia, that Russia has used as justification for the invasion.

As for Georgia - How did it work out for them? It worked in the same manner as Crimea - an unprovoked invasion of a sovereign nation while justifying that action using the super spin cycle - Hitler's blueprint -

Wash(invasion), rinse(military occupation to ferret out those who don't swear allegiance), repeat (Next country.....)

We can go back to the beginning of this mess and what you will see is the many phases of Putin and his justifications, which seem to change every other day.

I guess when you tell so many lies, it becomes difficult to keep them straight.

extra DIV

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
NATO News - Moldova

Looks like Moldova's 3 autonomous provinces (not independent), are acting in the same manner as in Crimea. Meetings with the Russian military In addition to Russian troops on the ground in those 3 areas (not large numbers but present none the less).

Moldova is talking to NATO about cooperation (maybe entry).

Putins actions are going to backfire and will push the former soviet republics even closer to the West / NATO / US.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Response on press tv interview with Press TV has conducted an interview with Rick Rozoff, manager of "Stop NATO" Network, Chicago about the rush for the new government in Ukraine to sign the EU pact previously rejected by the former administration of the country www.presstv.ir...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Shh...at work.

I'd bet the cash flow between not Ukraine and Russia but between the presidents of those respective countries would make a person's eyes pop out. Their corruption makes our in the U.S. look like childsplay.

Both countries, from what I've heard from friends and relatives who live, frequently visit, and have started or tried to start businesses there, are equally corrupt at the highest levels of government, which if you really think about it isn't a change at all since the days of the USSR.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

~Lucidity
Thanks for the answers.

He's been saying this for a while now. He tweeted after the first couple of days that he was still president, not dead, or impeached, and did not step down. Fareed Zakaria, and Erin Burnett have had people on their shows speaking about the legitimacy, or non legitimacy of the newer government in Ukraine. What keeps getting brought up with the questions, is that their parliament was able to kick him out immediately somehow, even though there was supposed to be elections in May.

Just not enough people have been listening, or watching the right news shows. Those are the only news shows that I've seen that have brought up the issue, and I've got the news on for most of the day. Fareed is only on once a week, and Erin Burnett brought it up 4 days in a row last week.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join