Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Colorado Man Could Sue Divers Who Saved Him From Submerged Car

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Not only could he do it, he's already filed suit!!!!!

A Colorado man, despite acknowledging that he's lucky to be alive after being trapped in a submerged car, has filed an intent to sue his rescuers for half a million dollars.

The NERVE of this tubby bastard!!! He takes it upon himself to drive on a flood washed out road, and ends plunges into the river.

The incident began Sept. 12 when Ortiz was driving to work. His vehicle hit part of a washed-out road and then plunged into a creek.

"He tried to feel even above his head and all he felt was water everywhere. It was not much of an air pocket," Ferszt said.

Ortiz was able to find a small air bubble in the back of his car where Ferszt said his client spent two hours waiting to be rescued.

Since the accident, Ortiz has racked up $40,000 in medical bills and still has shoulder issues and trouble sleeping, including a recurring dream of shivering to death, Ferszt said.

Good Samaritan Laws are supposed to protect people from this crap, I guess it dont mean jack anymore.
This is why I dont stop for accidents anymore, I'll just call 911 and drive on

Story

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
"they did not realize Ortiz was trapped in the car until they prepared to lift it out of the water."

From his point of view, no one tryed to save him. In fact they all through he is dead, so they just pulled the car up out of the river.

The truth is in this article, there is no info when he crashed into the river, how many passed before him, and why they bulled the car out in the first place. In fact right now we dont know anything but based on his words, he was trapped for 2 hours.

The question is if you saw a car into the river what will you do? Pull it out, or check for survivors? Also he is sueing the state too.

"He was not seen or it was assumed no one could have survived it," Ferszt said. "No one discerned he was there."

Actually, how the hell he knew the one saving him, didnt save him, but in fact just pulled out the car ? I think his Attorney is making all this up for money, and Roy is following blindly, because he wants the money too.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Anyone that supports this insanity deserves to be strung up and hung with the guy behind this.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
So instead of being grateful cause he was saved, he is suing them?........this is how sad our societies are nowadays....

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is why we appoint judges. The judge will find all the flaws and holes in the story, the petty lawyer will force it upon a jury court, and he will still lose. This guy will end up owing money than just his medical bills in the end. Some people are just plain stupid.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
they should have left the ungrateful idiot to drown from his stupid mistake .. most would be grateful that theyre still alive and thanked the people that saved them from their idiocy .. only in america save a life and get sued for it .. then they wonder why people are reluctant to help ...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Was due care and process followed?

If NOT, then he DOES have a case!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Maybe offer to put him back in the car and push it back in the water and let him try free himself again and see how well he does the second time around .
I bet he wouldn't go for that second chance now would he.
Makes me sick , you hear about this kind of stuff someone gets saved by CPR and sues the person that performed it over broken ribs and chest pains ...and so many other similar situations.
I think people that sue others after being saved by them don't really deserve the second chance at life they were given .

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

well, someone suing because of their own stupidity.
it is a well established that you should never drive into a road that has flowing water, standing water, during or right after flood conditions.

there are numerous public service commercials that plainly tell you this. if your dumb enough to do it with out at least checking to see if it's safe.
why should you profit for your own stupidity. oh that's right, that the one of the new industries, suing.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Stuff like this is the reason why helping others has become uncool.

Compassion perceived as a sign of weakness, combined with the opportunity to make a few bucks, and the good Samaritan becomes an easy target. It's a jungle out there.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Meh. The guy was trapped in his car for two hours. That's a long time. Flood in question was September 12th in Denver. What did Denver look like on Sept 12?

photos.denverpost.com...

Based on the pictures, I think that first responders and the county were both pretty darn busy.

Here's a few stories about Ortiz's rescue and one with formerly live video footage of that rescue:

www.cnn.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
And an interview: news.yahoo.com...

My thoughts? The storm would fall under an act of god. Rain and geology swept the road away beneath his car according to his interview. Well, that can happen during a flash flood. He should be grateful that he's alive. Nightmares are not the state's fault. Traumatic experiences produce those and well, the state couldn't have prevented that road from washing out beneath him. The injury? It's called getting in a car wreck and whether one pays for the coverage of personal medical bills in the event of a car wreck via car insurance is a choice any driver makes every time they pay their car insurance each month.

Suffice it to say, I'm not down with him getting any money.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
He shouldn't be able to sue, this is asinine.

Here's something interesting to add...
www.vdare.com...
... supposedly he is an illegal immigrant (?)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
How ridiculous. Our courts are tied up enough as it is without having to deal with asinine stuff like this. The should make it so plaintiffs and their lawyers have to pay court costs if they lose in cases like this. There would be far fewer lawsuits then.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

What a fat stupid scum bag. People like this are a waste of oxygen his father and mother must be so ashamed. I hope karma comes around and get him but by his looks and actions life probably sucks for this scum bag.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Double delete
edit on 14-3-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Illegal huh? Maybe they should reward him with deporting his arse!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

ZonedOut
Was due care and process followed?

If NOT, then he DOES have a case!

I passed by this thread, thinking it was something silly like, using techniques to save his life, they injured yet saved him. But finally reading it and basically, they don't have protocols to rescue live people from the vehicles first. Pretty sure they do. In other words, they could have rescued him sooner. And since they need to serve and protect and rescue people first and foremost, think he does have a case, since its negligence to presume no one needs rescuing.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is there anything, and I mean anything that Americans won't sue for?

The unemployment rate in the USA is a moot point, as I'm sure that the average person is making a decent private income because they got awarded thousands of dollars when someone farted in their vicinity.

edit on 17-3-2014 by AnimatedMatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Cheaper to let him drown then.

Divers should carry a wavier form consenting to his rescue, with waterproof pen.
edit on 17-3-2014 by shappy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join