It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local police department now using social media to post speed trap alerts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I saw this on the local news here earlier.

www.myfoxdfw.com...

On Monday, Keller police started posting when and where their daytime traffic officers are running radar in Keller and Westlake, where they have a contract to provide police services.

Well, this is pretty cool of the Keller PD. They say they're not worried about collecting revenue from writing tickets, and care more for public safety.

Here's a link the the city of Keller's website posting about this change.

www.cityofkeller.com...

The new program, which will give motorists a heads up on police activities as day-shift officers are directed to particular enforcement locations, is the latest in Keller Police efforts to partner with the community on public safety initiatives.

“We believe in exhaustively communicating with our citizens in two-way conversations that help us build trust and understanding,” said Police Chief Mark Hafner, the city's public safety director. “Traffic enforcement is about public safety, not revenue. If this type of communication can help make Keller streets safer, it’ll be a win for this department and this community.”

Hopefully this does help in slowing speeders down. Maybe other PD's should take a look at the results from this later on, and then decide to do this also.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

So I am going to text while driving to find the updated "traps"?

Or I can see a scenario where the police post "trap at 3rd and Main", but the cop is really sitting at "2nd and Main".

Cha-Ching!

"Hey you guys are cheating!".

"Yes Ma'am. Sign right here."

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by buni11687

So I am going to text while driving to find the updated "traps"?

Or I can see a scenario where the police post "trap at 3rd and Main", but the cop is really sitting at "2nd and Main".

Cha-Ching!

"Hey you guys are cheating!".

"Yes Ma'am. Sign right here."

That is the first thing I thought of, but hopefully there is no sneaky biz and this is really just for the greater good of the community.
Or they are going to bank off the alternative routes that people will be now speeding down

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Seems like a good idea. Communication with the public is one of the number one problems with policing. This would be more akin to crime prevention...

Imagine how many could be prevented by simply saying "hey, we know this is happening, so stop now or.."

As opposed to waiting for it to happen...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
For the sake of intellectual consistency I expect every person who posted here: woman arrested for warning of speedtrap how the woman deserved to be locked up and how she was hurting "public safety" to come into this thread and state the police are "hurting public safety" and should be locked up for alerting motorists to the existence of their own speed traps.

Oh, that's right. What's immoral, unethical, harmful and against the almighty law when not wearing a goofy costume becomes ones holy and sanctified duty when wearing the goofy costume.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

but hopefully there is no sneaky biz

"Speed Traps" are sneaky by definition. I should do a thread on this.

Suffice:

Police cars used to be two tone (black and white) and have big light bars on top of the vehicle so we could spot them easier and slow down so as not to get a ticket. They used to have to sit on the side of the road in plain sight so as not to be "hiding".

Nowadays young americans have no memory of these "Policing" rules let alone why. Days of civil servants and to serve and protect are bygone. Maybe not in your average rural neck of the woods so much, but hey come to my big urban sprawl and watch em work.

They serve the state, one day there will be no distinguishable difference between them and the Gestapo. In some cases there is no difference.

new topics

top topics

join