It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: How SETI Might Save the World - and You Can Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, pioneered the idea that PC users could donate computer time for complex data analysis via the Internet. Now, IBM and top scientific research organizations plan to use SETI's approach to set up a World Community Grid to help solve the world's most pressing problems - to find cures for the world's new out-of-control epidemic diseases - improve natural disasters forecasting - and help protect the world's food and water supply. Where SETI was a "Power to the Nerds" movement, the World Community Grid is "Power of the People." It might just save the planet.

www.medscape.com
IBM and top scientific research organizations are joining forces in a humanitarian effort to tap the unused power of millions of computers and help solve complex health and social problems. ...The World Community Grid will seek to tap the vast underutilized power of computers belonging to individuals and businesses worldwide and channel it into selected medical and environmental research programs.

Organizers say the Grid can help unlock genetic codes that underlie diseases like AIDS/HIV, Alzheimer's or cancer, improve forecasting of natural disasters and aid studies to protect the world's food and water supply.

The massive volunteer project will be unveiled Tuesday by Sam Palmisano, CEO of International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), the world's largest computer company, along with United Nations officials, researchers from the Mayo Clinic, Oxford University and South Africa, and others.

The first research will be into Human Proteome Folding, an effort to identify the structure of pathogenic proteins. There will be three to five research projects a year, Sanford said.

The project owes a debt to SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, which in the 1990s first popularized the notion that PC users could donate computer time for radio telescope astronomy data analysis via the Internet.

Note: This link requires a free subscription to a reliable medical journal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The World Community Grid can only be described as a noble - and necessary - effort. Three major world crises now are converging and about to explode out of control - the mis-folded protein disease crisis, geographic instability and natural disasters, and the water/food crisis. They're about to overwhelm the world's individual governments, but our leaders can't agree about what to do or where to start. The World Community Grid puts the power in the hands of the people.

Human Proteome Folding tackles the world's biggest health problem head-on. Most modern diseases result from mis-folded proteins causing stem cell mutations. Stem cells called "fibroblasts" mutate into "myofibroblasts," causing "fibrosis" that can occur in multiple organs and tissues. The disease often mutates as it progresses, in response to "environmental" changes and exposure to other pathogens. The result is a range of other secondary diseases including amyloidosis, diabetes, Alzheimer's, cardiovascular and heart disease, obesity, AIDS and cancer. This will be the first major research project to go straight to the underlying cause, rather than focusing on late-stage symptoms one at a time.

Research into mis-folded and possibly infectious proteins reached its zenith in 2000 - and then hit a political brick wall. The Human Proteome Folding Project promises not only to revive this absolutely essential research, but bring it to fruition.

Human activity not only has affected human health but also, the planet's geophysical stability and weather patterns. The World Community Grid will collect all the different information and analyse it to help forecast "natural" disasters.

We can expect new, concrete and publicly accessible information about how oil and gas extraction, aquifer depletion and more have destabilized geographical regions, and how. We will be told the truth about what the real impacts are, what's coming next, and where.

Changing weather patterns are causing super-storms, and these storms are increasing in frequency, duration and severity. The Grid will help predict these storms and hopefully, give us the information we need to prepare and protect ourselves.

Fresh water on the earth is a finite resource. Again, human activity has over-used, wasted and depleted the resource - primarily for industrial production. Most of the earth's fresh water now is gone, and cannot be replenished or replaced. In a nutshell, the world's fresh water supply is threatened and as a result, so is our food supply. Droughts caused by human accelerated climate change and shifting weather patterns also threaten food production.

The water crisis is about to explode in several regions of the world, including the US breadbasket. If there is any hope or way to solve the 'water crisis' to benefit ordinary people rather than corporate industrial profits, combined computer power is it.

Right now, only the very very rich and multinational corporate powers are positioned to ride the wave when these three crises converge and explode. The World Community Grid shifts the power base, and promises to help ordinary people help themselves.

Thumbs up to IBM and all the scientists, researchers and organizations supporting the World Community Grid. Power to the people.

ATS has many threads related to these crises. Here are a few.

These three did not fit into the slots provided:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Fears of Terrorism Hide Real Biological Attack, Assault on Voting Rights
Humans Included in the 6th Mass Extinction?
SCI/TECH: Federal Water Facility Responsible For Earthquakes.
NEWS: Unprecedented Arctic Warming Confirmed

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is good!

At least there should be some results from this new SETI type project, unlike the never going to get anywhere SETI that we have now.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
This is good!

At least there should be some results from this new SETI type project,

I think so too - got pumped when I read about it.

Here's some more coverage - about the project and the Grid.

edition.cnn.com...
www.worldchanging.com...
www.computerworld.com...
www.gridtoday.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is awesome..... why didnt i think about this? I hoping for the best and this sound like it could be real promising!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
soficrow,

I've been involved in protein folding for 6 months and they are catching fire and moving the field ahead.

I've been wanting to get a Folding@Home Team going on ATS.

Here is Folding@Home.

Here is the Folding@Home FAQ.

Here is where a team can be started.

I don't think the US and the world will let the world run out of resources.

The amount of iron ,nickle, and precious/rare-earth metals in a one mile cubed asteroid is enough to supply the world's need for 2 years.there are thousands of asteroids this size, some are carbon some are comets with fuel hydrogen and oxygen to make hydro-carbons and water.

If we covered 1 % of the moon with auto-robot produced(moon soil makes good solar cells) solar cells ,we could provide all the energy needed by the world ,right now. there is the potential to provide 150 times what we need from orbit solar stations and the moon.

Shortages are always temp.

The world hasn't even started to harvest the ocean floor 72% of which has not been investigated for minerals.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Damn, and I have wasted my 15000 hours on Seti for nothing?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
soficrow,

I've been involved in protein folding for 6 months and they are catching fire and moving the field ahead.

Excellent Bodebliss - thank you! ...I picked up on folding@home last spring too - but the Grid is a different effort... Folding@home is associated with Stanford - while the Grid is more internationally based, and looks at other crises too. Both good methinks.

I don't think the US and the world will let the world run out of resources.

...The real problem right now is water - and it's about gone. Which means our food supply is on the line.

...My concern is that we need to change the way we do things - but the push is to "keep it going" and "find more stuff." As far as minerals go, I think the space program is being pushed forward by corporate mining interests - and I fear for the poor fools who put their lives on the line for half-baked schemes with cut-rate life support systems.

If we covered 1 % of the moon with auto-robot produced(moon soil makes good solar cells) solar cells ,we could provide all the energy needed by the world ,right now. there is the potential to provide 150 times what we need from orbit solar stations and the moon.

YES. I LIKE this idea! ...More detail? Links?

The world hasn't even started to harvest the ocean floor 72% of which has not been investigated for minerals.

WHOA! ...I do NOT want us to go there. ...We haven't even figured out how things work, but we're gonna dick with it. Not smart. ...We are destroying the biological/ecological/weather/climate balance of our planet - and treat it like a mall open for looting. Dumb. Suicide.

...The world and the people in it would be just fine with what we have now - we could learn how to make it work - but the corporations will go bust if they can't keeping sucking up the resources, or lose a few bucks if they have to change directions. Business looks for growth and profits - so we're sol.

Great info bodebliss - thanks... Keep it comin.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
To illustrate the vast amount of minerals an asteroid possesses and their worth, let us take for example the smallest known metallic asteroid, 3354 Amun. Amun is 2 kilometers across and has a mass of 30 billion tons. Assuming that its concentrations of minerals are typical of that of an iron meteorite, 99% of the asteroid would be iron, nickel, and cobalt which at current market values would be worth $14 trillion. The remaining 1% would be composed of the platinum-group metals, which would be worth another $6 trillion (Lewis, p88). That is a total of $20 trillion in the Earth market. These minerals would be even more valuable if they could be utilized in space. At $10,000 per kilogram to launch a payload into space and since these minerals are already there, they would represent an asset that would cost $300 quadrillion to launch from Earth (Lewis I, p112).

www.permanent.com...

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Soficrow ,
Could you be more specific about what you see as the water crisis . I live in the beginning of the upper central part of the country and we have had some pretty wet growing seasons here of late.

If all those people want to move to Arizona to take in the arid climate . Water shortage is what they will find.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Here is the Desalination info.

Osmosis(I's-Mo-ses)/membrane tech:

urila.tripod.com...

Nuclear Desalinization:

www.schillerinstitute.org...

Solar Desalinization:

www.cansia.ca...

www.awa.asn.au...

Water Freeze Desalinization:

www.quantumlynx.com...

And here is the power to drive it.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.tipmagazine.com...

And if your wondering how we get additional material off the Moon to build solar satelites:

www.asi.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

WOW.

Give me some time to linkn' read.

RE: fresh water crisis. Is world wide - see the links here.

...You don't by chance have any alternative energy sources in your back pocket do you?

Much good stuff - thanks. Am distracted with another project right now, but will get to this soon.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
soficrow, here are some links on some technologies that will ease the water crises somewhat just gotta hunt for the link....check out this blog post, all i can find right now and I don't have the time right now(playing World of Warcraft
)

crnano.typepad.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
soficrow, here are some links on some technologies that will ease the water crises somewhat just gotta hunt for the link....
crnano.typepad.com...

Quickly scanned this link - radical ideas here. "Green Nanotechnology." Very interesting, much of value. Off the top, the big problem I see is that greenhouses are recommended for all agriculture, which would further remove food from peoples' reach and entrench it as industry under 'corporate industrial power' (swearwords in my vocabulary). ...at the same time I see the logic. Need to think about it. In home units and community cooperatives come to mind. Defensible because anyway you cut it we're looking at major restructuring.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The Masters of PhotoVoltaics!

www.nrel.gov...

NREL: da rest of the renewables

www.nrel.gov...

Zero Point Energy

www.zpenergy.com...

NanoApex: advances in nano 4 energy and all science

www.nanoapex.com...

Bode

[edit on 11/25/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I just emailed the higher-ups on ATS asking them to create an ATS team for the Human Proteome Folding Project on the World Community Grid.

Both the World Community Grid and Grid.org(Folding@Home) are working together on the Human Proteome Folding Project (though differ slightly), however Grid.org has been around for 3 years and have 3 million CPU's already at their disposal, it's the recently constructed World Community Grid that needs our support.

I would say this is more important then SETI@Home.

-raven

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is so awesome. This would probably be the worlds greatest cooperative projet ever. I think that this is a great idea. Finally people across the world can help find solutions to the worlds greatest problems. My computer processes stuff for the SETI program and it's so easy yet so important. I'll gladly help out to find a cure for cancer and AIDs. It would be nice to have an endorsement from the Red Cross, UN, or WHO (World Health Organization, not the band).

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012

I just emailed the higher-ups on ATS asking them to create an ATS team for the Human Proteome Folding Project on the World Community Grid.

Great work Raven.

I would say this is more important then SETI@Home.

-raven

YIPES! I just worked off a 72 hour, 250 point warning and now you have me competing with Simon Grey's favorite project!!!

omigawd. I can't seem to stay out of trouble here.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm thinking the protein folding projects might be useful in handling flu epidemics? Anyone know?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No, protein folding is basic-basic science and could form the basis of a revolution in the way people are treated , but that is still far off by today's standards 2-5 years in the future.

One important thing to look for is a breakthrough in individual gene sequencing a dip below $1000 / sequencing would be the break we need to make the info that is coming from such basic sciences as protein folding research useful.

Right now it takes $10,000,000 / mammalian genenome sequenced, so we have a ways to go.

[edit on 11/28/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   

One important thing to look for is a breakthrough in individual gene sequencing

My understanding of the protein folding projects (and proteome sequencing) is that they correct the inaccurate focus on "genes," shift attention to genetic mutations and highlight the role of mis-folded proteins in causing mutations.

...You are talking gene sequencing, not protein mis-folding or mutations. ...?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join