It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to end Amtrak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
m.weeklystandard.com...

Amtrak is grasping at straws. When will enough be enough? Back in 1976 I believe the federal govt deregulated the railroads. The railroads were able to remove unused track and set their own shipping rates allowing them to thrive. The govt took over several companies and built contrail. That venture made a profit within a few years, but passenger service has not fared so well. A few routes make money for Amtrak but most just lose money, the tax payer makes up the difference. I say it's time to quit. I know in my area some politicians are paying to research high speed rail, even though it will never pay for it self.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

The railroads, by ancient reckoning that has not gone entirely away and should not, exist in part as do the interstate highway system, as an aspect of our internal national defense. Frankly, to chop railway service in any meaningful way is simply adding increased strain to the highways. The highways (except for the increasing numbers of toll roads) are not expected to pay their way in order to remain open and FREE!. The same logic to some degree should apply to all railroads.

I would image that anyone of the train commuters in the northeast that rides a train every day would agree--and they actually pay a fee for the privilege.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I said amtrak, that's passenger rail service. Freight railroads are private not federal. They are essential to move massive amounts of materials. The only place rail service for passengers works is in high population areas. That's why most large cities have public transportation.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Indeed, many nearly unused routes are still running because letting them go would cost "more" than closing them and having to pay the exorbitant public sector union reparations which amount to multiple years worth of salaries.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Aliensun

The railroads, by ancient reckoning that has not gone entirely away and should not, exist in part as do the interstate highway system, as an aspect of our internal national defense. Frankly, to chop railway service in any meaningful way is simply adding increased strain to the highways. The highways (except for the increasing numbers of toll roads) are not expected to pay their way in order to remain open and FREE!. The same logic to some degree should apply to all railroads.

I would image that anyone of the train commuters in the northeast that rides a train every day would agree--and they actually pay a fee for the privilege.

Agreed, and let me add that infrastructure and institutions such as public transit, schools, trash pickup, police, fire, emergency etc are NOT SUPPOSED to make a profit. These are tax supported or supplemented endeavors for the good of the public. Believe me, the oil lobby already tried to completely dismantle rail in America. The tide has turned and you see rail being build or restored throughout the country. LA has been building a subway system for the last 20 years, Dallas is restoring abandoned trolley lines, Denver is building a rail network. the list goes on. All govt agencies are going to be mismanaged but we NEED a nation wide rail network.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

PinealJockey

Aliensun

Agreed, and let me add that infrastructure and institutions such as public transit, schools, trash pickup, police, fire, emergency etc are NOT SUPPOSED to make a profit. These are tax supported or supplemented endeavors for the good of the public. Believe me, the oil lobby already tried to completely dismantle rail in America. The tide has turned and you see rail being build or restored throughout the country. LA has been building a subway system for the last 20 years, Dallas is restoring abandoned trolley lines, Denver is building a rail network. the list goes on. All govt agencies are going to be mismanaged but we NEED a nation wide rail network.

Amtrak and the post office are supposed to be self supporting. I said nothing about making a profit. All the rail projects you mentioned are in high density population areas. That's the only place passenger rail works. New York to dc makes sense, Cincinnati to Chicago does not. I have rode amtrak to Chicago from northern indiana and more than half of the seats are empty. Just simple lack of demand.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I really wish rail was a viable travel option for those of us in small towns/rural areas. There's an Amtrak station in my town, but to travel to the nearer cities it's faster by automobile, and for longer trips it's less expensive to fly (in many cases).

Just as examples: it's faster by two hours for me to drive to D.C., and at least 10% less expensive if I were to fly to Los Angles vs. traveling by rail.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As we speak, Amtrak is moving into my area of east central Fl. They have been reworking the tracks here for the past year. I believe OP we are going to be seeing more and more people using rail. I do not live in a high population area Palm Bch is an hour away, Orlando is 2hrs and Daytona is 2hrs.

If we have rail that stops here in my area, imagine the possiblity for people getting jobs outside their immediate area. With the price of gas the way it is, it will cheaper to ride rail then drive your cars. Less driving of your vehicle less repair needed.

I would rather spend an hour on a train to get to work then a half hour fighting the madness on the highways. I see more rail for passengers as a good thing.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyholes

I like taking the train, I really do. I just don't think that it's cost effective especially when the government is running the show.

www.nbcwashington.com...#

Passenger rail was a lead weight around the railroads neck and they wisely dumped it. The staggers act saved the railroads and most people have never even heard of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

2manyholes
As we speak, Amtrak is moving into my area of east central Fl. They have been reworking the tracks here for the past year. I believe OP we are going to be seeing more and more people using rail. I do not live in a high population area Palm Bch is an hour away, Orlando is 2hrs and Daytona is 2hrs.

If we have rail that stops here in my area, imagine the possiblity for people getting jobs outside their immediate area. With the price of gas the way it is, it will cheaper to ride rail then drive your cars. Less driving of your vehicle less repair needed.

I would rather spend an hour on a train to get to work then a half hour fighting the madness on the highways. I see more rail for passengers as a good thing.

Is that you LaHood? You crazy divil...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

No Lahood here, sorry. But I have been called crazy before.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

OP you really seem to have a handle on this, I will have to explore more concerning the rail system. I will admit I am looking at from a personal point of view. Passenger train in this area will benefit me and many others around here but perhaps I'm not looking at the big picture. I will read the links you have provided. Thanks Hoosierdad.

new topics

top topics

join