It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Modern Technology(electrical) slowed the Human Natural Evolution?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I don't advocate anyone's death. Only pointing out that our knowledge has been wiped out more than once in the past.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

intrptr

We are choking on the effluent runoff from our technology.

So the better technologically the more advanced we are? The more "civilized"? How evolved is that?

If we marvel at our handiwork on the one hand while its killing us on the other, then we are devolving.

I agree with you, the effluent aspect is a great way of looking at it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I don't advocate anyone's death. Only pointing out that our knowledge has been wiped out more than once in the past.

True enough, the destruction of the library of Alexandria still makes me weep occasionally (not even kidding, I was traumatized when I first learned about it as a toddler).
edit on 10-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Mind expanding on the reset? back to square one?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
What I'm wondering while reading this, and what I have thought about many times, is chilling. Human beings have been heavily changed by natural selection over eons of time. It's exactly the process that supposedly gave us these impressive brains. In the tiny fraction of our evolution that we call recorded history, natural selection has been pushed aside. The dumbest, unhealthiest genes in the world are living to ripe old ages and making lots of offspring. Every year since the industrial revolution it's likely getting exponentially worse. Have stupidity/genetic-related mortality rates not plummeted? One could look to the leading causes of death for clues.

----------------------------------------------------
U.S.A. 2010:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

www.cdc.gov...
------------------------------------------------------

What I see in that data is mostly the result of consumption. Junk food, cigarettes, and the cocktail of chemicals we unknowingly ingest on a daily basis. Some of the smartest people I know are just such terrible keepers of their own body. What would I prefer to see?

Too dumb to find fresh water: 1,000,000,000
Couldn't outrun predator: 1,000,000,000
Too lazy to start a fire: 1,000,000,000
Just generally fatter and dumber than most: 1,000,000,000
Cell phone/social media withdrawal: 1,000,000,000

In a post-apocalyptic world, that could set mother nature back on track in a hurry. The bottom line is, I'm worried about the human race as a species. I have a great pride for how far we have come, and that pride is being stepped on by technology in my opinion. If someone can make the case against my little argument, I would welcome it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by Krazysh0t

We are relying too much on technology that is less than 100 yrs old, and needs a constant power and easier to break.

Tho i understand the word technology might seem broad, but my main aim is at the way it makes us use less of our talents.

Doing harder things sharpens your mind, while relying your phone will has all the answer is something i would think about.

How many people would be functionless or perform poor if power were to go out for a week?

It was very interesting to see last December(during power out) how many came to the mall, hugging the walls in malls to charge their phones. Some didn't even know "what to do", myself included.

*Added specific technology, sry about confusion*
edit on 3/10/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

No, applying critical thought and thinking about solutions to your problems sharpens your mind. Doing harder things, just makes you more skilled at whatever you are doing, while using more effort to do so. Once you become skilled enough at something, it becomes reflex. Reflex actions aren't even processed in the brain, they are processed in the spinal cord (yes I know that the spinal cord is technically part of the brain, but I'm sure you get my point).

ETA: Example, chopping a tree. If I chop a tree with a standard ax or a chainsaw. Sure with the standard ax, I'll get good at chipping away at a tree until it falls over, but using it over a chainsaw isn't making me smarter. Just expending more energy.

All technology is doing, is phasing out particular skills that were essential for humans to live and survive. In their place, we are developing new skills to handle this technology. All it is, is a paradigm shift. Nothing more, nothing less.

P.S.: Now an argument can be made that our education system isn't properly teaching critical thought, but that is a whole other can of worms and not one we can or should lay at the feet of technology.
edit on 10-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadGhost

Thanks for those stats.

Every piece of device, and every time i use, i am becoming more inclined to depend on such device to carry me through the day, would i be able to fend for myself when it not available?

I think the current technology, though it offers great information, it effect us negatively, mostly our mental evolution.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

All technology is doing, is phasing out particular skills that were essential for humans to live and survive. In their place, we are developing new skills to handle this technology. All it is, is a paradigm shift. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are not worried that the convenience of technology is actually cutting out the middle process?

If people were given food everyday for the rest of their lives, will they know how to cook?

Why is most of the people now a days lack cooking skill compared to 100 yrs ago? would that be a good thing? what happens if the people who cater the food eventually stop developing their skill?

because of such convenience and reliance, people are losing out on basic skills.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Evolution proceeds at its own speed, which varies depending on conditions in the environment to which organisms must adapt, the availability of genetic material, the mutation rate and so on. Technology alters the environment, so I suppose it could alter the rate of evolution.

I don't think it's making anybody stupid. If anything, it's probably making us more intelligent. I bet we think faster than our ancestors. But that's just cultural conditioning — training — not evolution. If there was a reproductive advantage to thinking faster, then maybe people would evolve in that direction.

Come to think of it, there is a reproductive advantage in thinking faster. So maybe we are evolving that way.

In a few thousand years, we may start to see some results.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

luciddream

You are not worried that the convenience of technology is actually cutting out the middle process?

If people were given food everyday for the rest of their lives, will they know how to cook?

Why is most of the people now a days lack cooking skill compared to 100 yrs ago? would that be a good thing? what happens if the people who cater the food eventually stop developing their skill?

because of such convenience and reliance, people are losing out on basic skills.

Explain to me why the need to know how to cook is necessary in this world. If I can buy readily made food at any time, why do I need to know how to cook (besides curiosity)? Sure if society collapses, cooking will become a necessity to survival again, but until that happens, there is no need for the skill. So why learn it outside of a hobby? Archery used to be a required skill for survival. How is your bow and arrow skills these days? Keep in mind that the invention of the gun predates electrical technology, but phased out an essential skill for survival, yet I don't see you complaining about that lost skill.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Tho i agree with your statement.

I do believe technology does cater to people who would find hardship if it were for it, and allow them to move on, reproduce.

We are relying on something most people do not understand(internal mechanics).

I agree we are more smarter then our ancestor, but i feel as if the technology path is somewhat, not a co-existence, but a dependance.

We are simply feeding off it, not caring how it came to be.. an average person that uses it anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by Astyanax

Tho i agree with your statement.

I do believe technology does cater to people who would find hardship if it were for it, and allow them to move on, reproduce.

We are relying on something most people do not understand(internal mechanics).

Nothing new here. People have been doing that since we invented the wheel. At least in people's defense electrical technology is complicated and hard to understand.

I agree we are more smarter then our ancestor, but i feel as if the technology path is somewhat, not a co-existence, but a dependance.

All technology is a dependence.

We are simply feeding off it, not caring how it came to be.. an average person that uses it anyway.

Quick, without using Google, who invented the compass?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

luciddream

bigfatfurrytexan

Mind expanding on the reset? back to square one?

Off the coast of every continent lies submerged civilization. Things we can only speculate on at the moment. The very notion that a people, the Phoenicians, gained so much power without having a homeland seems absolutely ludicrous. I think the problem is, we haven't found their homeland cities yet. On a side note, if it exists under water, the Naval forces of the world are likely aware of it to a degree. So we do have that going for us. LOL

The library of Alexandria is another good example we know of. But how many times have we never heard about the destruction of knowledge? How about Pythagoras, and his school? It was burned down, too. What wonders did he hold that were lost in that fire? What made it out of the fire is utterly mind bending....so speculation abounds.

I don't know about any total resets. But I do have notions. One such notion is that the Younger Dryas event plays a major role in it. I think the Atlantic Ocean being viewed as impassible by Europeans might be in relation to some event in the area, such as a huge influx of desalinated water, caused prolonged turbulence that made going too far a deadly venture. I have seen what Old Sow can do....and can only imagine what would happen if you dumped all the great lakes into the ocean all at once.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Physical laziness is looked down upon where I come from. There are plenty of those who would rather sit and indulge than get up and be productive. I tend to agree that it's bad, but I also acknowledge that relaxation is awesome.

Now, mental laziness is not looked down upon where I come from. In fact, it's encouraged. I see it in every person. It takes on 2 forms. One is reliance on technology, and the other is just dropping the subject.

Situation one: Person is asked the product of 35 x 19, then spends 15 minutes looking for a calculator. Lazy

Situation two: Person is asked how old they will be in July 2019, and they say they don't know or don't care.

Both examples are math related, but it extends to every single subject!

They can't spell
Don't know history
Don't know geography
Small Vocabulary
Don't know the difference between pronoun/adjective/preposition etc.
No mental math skills at all
No clue whatsoever about chemistry, biology, physics, or any science

These same people have a vast, ENORMOUS catalog of movies memorized word for word! That's great, you can recite The Goonies or Back To The Future but what is the boiling temperature of water? How do yo find the area of a circle?

*sigh* I know the education of my generation is a joke, but these people are downright lazy. Nobody is calling them out.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Has Modern Technology(electrical) slowed the Human Natural Evolution?

Not at all - the combined effects of environmental change have accelerated the evolution of all life on this planet. For more info, search "accelerated evolution" and "6th Mass Extinction."

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I do not believe that the development of information and communication technologies, or any other technologies for that matter, have slowed or stunted the course of human evolution. The reason that I say that, is that these technologies came about because our species had advanced intellectually, enough to make them possible. I believe that rather than stopping, or slowing the pace of our evolution, they have merely changed the focus of it.

We once walked hunched over, as if prepared to break into a four limb scamper at any moment, and now we walk upright. This is a physical change. However, our minds have been developing very rapidly over the last few hundred years, as concepts beyond the understanding of even relatively recent ancestors, become commonplace to us. We have harnessed electricity, and bound it up in our will for crying out loud! Huge numbers of us use this resource every day, and yet, just a few hundred years ago, such a thing would be considered witchcraft!

The technologies we have developed thus far, and those which will no doubt come on stream in times to come, will not cease our evolution, but they will point it in new directions. The evolutionary demands on this species, will begin to focus more on our neurotransmitters, our synapses, the speed at which they can function, than on the speed at which our bodies react to stimulus. As the necessities of life change, so does the type of change which evolution will create in our species.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Exactly! i do not know. If i were to manually study who did it i would remember it, but who cares about that since i can learn about the inventor of compass in quick button press, then forget about the person after 2 hrs.

Has technology reduced physical social interaction? would that have no affect to us in the long run?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

luciddream

Exactly! i do not know. If i were to manually study who did it i would remember it, but who cares about that since i can learn about the inventor of compass in quick button press, then forget about the person after 2 hrs.

Has technology reduced physical social interaction? would that have no affect to us in the long run?

I Googled it and found, as i suspected, no single individual is really given credit. Until some clown created a manufacturing/sales apparatus, anyway.

It was invented, like many of the cooler things in our history, by some person in the deepest, darkest recesses of history. In this case, China.

Thing is, knowing who invented something is of absolutely no use unless one wishes to leverage it against nationalism. Knowing how the invention works is the knowledge worth having. It is tangible and can actually DO something.

History is the study of death. Sure, there may be something that can be gained via post mortem. But en vivo is a much better field of study.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I agree with you, the effluent aspect is a great way of looking at it.

Thankyou. By the way, I took both pills.

That way I can be aware of the problems and still minimize their importance, usually .

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The evolution of mankind has seriously been slowed through the control of modern technology. Take as your instance Electricity. The technology for using and producing electricity has hardly altered since its inception some hundred years ago. That's because people with the power want its production and distribution to remain exclusive to cash in on it (there is trillions made from this exclusivity) therefore they will allow no progress whatsoever to disturb their cash flow. That includes buying and burying any new innovations that upsets their norm. The same goes for other technology. How many times must everyone be told that the US air force Technology is 40 to 50 years advanced of todays technology. Yet they keep it under tight wraps. Now imagine that technology in the open market. We could be among the stars by now. It's the same for any technology you care to mention, Somebody invents or discovers something new or innovative they keep it secret to make as much money as they can. There have been numerous occasions where the inventor has been petulant and because they could not get what they wanted they destroyed their inventions. A Mr Tesla is one. As long as the military industrial complex controls the game there will be very limited progress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join