It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A farewell to religion.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Powerful video.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I don't even know what to say about that video, except that it was made BY atheists in order to mock and scoff at the Word of God.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

So everything in the video is a lie?
Because that is how I see it.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah, it is.
I just don't understand why people would put this onus on their little kids, unless they are too afraid to let the littles think for themselves.

I know that not all religious people instill this 'doomish' thinking. I know that for many many many people the Bible is uplifting and calming and a way to be able to rise above the evils perpetrated by other humans. And that's fine.

I just can't seem to separate a book obviously written by men from any other book written by men (or women - oddly - or not - no woman's contributions are included in it (the Bible). It just seems too contrived and mistranslated to mean anything valid nowadays.

Probably my bad. I'm trying to figure things out, just like everyone else.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The Bible is horrid to women and women actually agree with it? I mean wtf?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't even know what to say about that video, except that it was made BY atheists in order to mock and scoff at the Word of God.

Well, at least you watched it.

It's not scoffing and mocking to show how little kids are reared to believe that stuff.
It's a sad reality.

Perhaps it was made BY atheists to show how harmful it is to preach what you are preaching? Were you 'given religion' as a kid? Or did you adopt it as an adult?

Do you honestly not see how scary it would be for a little kid to be taught those things??

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The Bible is horrid to women and women actually agree with it? I mean wtf?

Huh????

wtf???

Nonono...what I meant was that women had nothing to do with the writings or compilation of the bible....

certainly there are loads of women teaching this stuff to their kids and keeping them from being aware of other modes of thought. (Not talking about flyersfan here - obviously she taught her child various angles)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I know dude don't worry lol.
Just adding to your post

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The asking for forgiveness is for what you've personally done in your life.

You don't have to tell God how sorry you are for murdering Jesus, as you didn't do it. You aren't guilty of killing Christ, you're guilty of sin.

Tithe is commanded by God, and if you love God you'll follow his commandments, but your salvation doesn't depend on it.

His ways aren't that mysterious if you just believe what the Bible says.

It isn't that strange that he doesn't give us absolute proof of his existence, even from the beginning, salvation came from grace through faith.

We are commissioned to try and get people saved, what's wrong with that?

The "happy place that can only be seen by the dead", or Heaven, I'm guessing is what's being alluded to here, well, I guess that just depends on what your definition of dead is. The Bible says that those who are saved have everlasting life, and that those condemned to hell are dead.

The world and the way it works doesn't seem to defy what the Bible teaches. In fact, the Bible describes the world and people pretty well!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I first went to church, heard the Word, and accepted it right then and there when I was 8 years old. My mother and I both, within a few days of each other. There was no indoctrination prior to, nor after the fact.

I don't find the video or the ideas expressed scary in the least for the reasons that I outlined above.
edit on 12-3-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

when I was 8 years old

Yeah, wow. by the time I was 8 years old I was already doubting the stuff I'd been told in church/Sunday school.

I also started learning a new language and other subjects deemed 'too hard' for other kids my age (a foreign language and typing...along with advanced social studies).
I still remember the "IQ test" and them telling me I was going to a different school because the one I was attending was not challenging enough.....

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I fully understood the message at the time it was heard.

As I'm again being accused of being uneducated :

My IQ is over 150. The first novel that I read and comprehended was The Hobbit when I was six years old. In 8th grade, I took the SAT for the Duke University recognition program. I don't remember the exact scores, but I definitely passed it.

All people that believe the Word of God aren't uneducated...

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Very gullible though taking someone else's view of it all.
Also spiritually lazy.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I fully understood the message at the time it was heard.

As I'm again being accused of being uneducated

I certainly did not say you were uneducated!!!

I just wondered how you bought into the teachings of shame and guilt and eternal torment without later critically thinking about the source? Was it the preacher? Sunday school?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I heard the Word.

I believed and received it.

I read my Bible and went to church.

My apologies if you weren't questioning my education.

The shame and eternal torment were / are irrelevant to me personally, as I believe that I am saved by grace through faith.
edit on 12-3-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

If by "someone else" you mean a cumulative hundreds of millions or even billions of people for the last 2000 years, sure.

Spiritually lazy? Apparently it takes a ton of faith to believe what the Bible says.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Okay. (star)...
you heard the Word. From whom? Under what circumstances? What was your mood at the time; what was your life environment like?

Who took you to hear the Word from whomever? Why?

So. You heard it from someone else - so did your mum, and later read about it after you already decided to believe it.
Is that correct?

It's no worry to me either way - I'm just curious to hear how it happened from your pov.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

The shame and eternal torment were / are irrelevant to me personally, as I believe that I am saved by grace through faith.

I was baptized as an infant in a fancy ceremony - which saved me right then and there....ETA: right?...That's what I was told! .....
so they are technically irrelevant to me personally also. So why do you come on here saying others will burn eternally for not believing what you believe????

As I said, I'm not an atheist. Just a dubious human.
edit on 3/12/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

graphuto

If by "someone else" you mean a cumulative hundreds of millions or even billions of people for the last 2000 years, sure.

Spiritually lazy? Apparently it takes a ton of faith to believe what the Bible says.

What you are describing is known as the heard mentality. People are afraid so they believe what makes them comfortable.
If you like the bible cool, but with an IQ of 150 as you say you should be able to work out for yourself how it is a tool.
The obvious thing is 2000 years later people still believe in the same texts. It is similar to people believing the world is still flat. The biggest scam of the bible is trying to prove something doesn't exist. All you could do is go I cant prove that it doesn't, so therefore it must. This has nothing to do with your faith or anything. It has to do with your belief.

Faith = knowing without belief
Belief = knowing without faith

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UltraverseMaximus

What you are describing is known as the heard mentality. People are afraid so they believe what makes them comfortable.

LOL!!! I love this inuendo!!!
"the heard mentality"
vs
well.....herd/heard....
"it's a homonym".
... nm -- it really isn't; it's a homophone.......

A homophone is a word that has the same sound as another word but is spelled differently and has a different meaning:

to/two/too

there/their/they're

pray/prey

Totally off-topic......sorry everyone.
Just enjoying a late winter afternoon.

But anyway, *clears throat* Yeah.

So; a herd mentality is just going with the general flow and popular opinion....where a heard mentality would be a person who accepts hearsay. Right?

edit on 3/12/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: vidfx

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join