It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-machines to replace biological/chemical weapons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I know that chemical/biological weaponry today is used mostly as a deterent. But with advances in nanotechnology wouldn't it make sense for nano machines to be used as weapons.

If nano machines were used then you would be able to program them to only attack your enemies and also how to attack. Maybe even program what they do to the enemies.

In reality would it be probable for this to happen or would the technology involved be too complicated/expensive to ever work?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This technology is 50 years away my friend, and it can also be used for great good as well as great evil such is the way with disruptive technologies like this. These nanobot can also be programmed to disarm every nation on the planet that is not allied with the attacker. Then global domination will ensue maybe never to be broken....its depressing, but its possible. Another possibility is we decide early on not to make self-replicating nanobots and outlaw them what would happen? The research would go underground because pandoras box has been opened, except in this case we can direct its evolution(much with AI because Nanobots are not possible without advanced AI) The only solution is to make everything open to the public very little should be kept secret, we gotta avoid an arms race for this stuff, but I fear its inevitable.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
How about some biological weapon (virus) programmed to attack some genetic signature?

But yes, nanomachines being programmed to attack the enemy body is also leathel. With all the research in decoding DNA, wouldn't it be more closer in the future to expect some programmed virus?

Blobber

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
In the short term yes, but biology is well biology and we all know how biology stands up to a chainsaw heh. Nanoweapons can also be programmed much more precisely with the aid of AI.

BTW Bioweapons could become obsolete if breakthroughs like this keep happenen at the pase that they are. here is the linky

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 24-11-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blobber
How about some biological weapon (virus) programmed to attack some genetic signature?

But yes, nanomachines being programmed to attack the enemy body is also leathel. But with all the research in decoding DNA, wouldn't it be more faster to expect some programmed virus?

Blobber

Good point but the only problem is that humans genes are very similar to one another and armies have individuals with different genes.

But thyen again how can anyone tell who the enemy really is?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iknowthelies

But thyen again how can anyone tell who the enemy really is?

Yah exactly. Suppose I am a future terrorist with knowledge about caucasion DNA structure (white skin), and suppose I am able to manufacture a virus which reacts violently at this gnome, I can cause an apocalyptic like massacre.

Yes, nanomachines which can reproduce themselves (they are working on that concept) and programmed to attack certain features are deadly too. I am sure there will be some kind of arms race at nanolevel in the future.

I think our technological advancements should be accompanied with some kind of "spiritual or ethical" growth, else our own mind cannot control what we have invented ourselves. Just think what Hitler or any other lunatic would have done when he had this technology.

Blobber

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blobber
Just think what Hitler or any other lunatic would have done when he had this technology.

Well, Hitler didn't need much finesse. For that matter, both warring sides have carpet bombed cities, achieving destructive effect much greater than nanomachines possibly could. Hell, the Japanese got nuked. The Allies napalmed Dresden, incinerating 100k people in one night. After that, I'm not afraid of nanomachines anymore. There'd probably be anti-nanomachines invented anyway. They'd fight each other. The downside will be that you'd have to go to the bathroom quite often.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm completely disgusted of the Military or whomever may be responsible, trying to make what they call, "An advance for the Good of Mankind", through means of manufacturing weapons of chaos and mass death. That's such a blatant lie coming from warmongers behind the desk themselves. Tell me, just how the hell is something like this going to be used for good when we are so hellbent on destroying each other in times like this? Who the hell puts these people in power and have they not seen what we are doing to ourselves? While they live under a rock, the world itself is already struggling to keep nuclear weapons our of the hands of people that want to kill, kill, and kill. Kill, Destroy, Burn, Vaporize anyone or a group of people in the name of just about everything! Even upon a god that only exists within our minds! I don't know how many wars our race is going to wage in the future, and I don't want to find out when and where everybody is rushing to grab the launch codes and slap the red button.

This is not Doomspeak, nor am I a doom-sayer, but am I not the only one that see's that those in power are constantly digging us all a hole in which we may not be able to escape an inevitable, man-made, self-extermination? Like driving drunk in a car, how many times are we going to keep saying that we won't wreck ourselves? How many times are we going to say, "We'll be fine"? How many times are we going to chalk all this up as a coincidence that we are safe, and not accept the reality of what could happen.

Gaining this technology is a small rise, but weaponizing it mean's the entire fall of civilization. Like a gun, if you own one, you will use it, either through emotion, or through hatred. If we go through with it, I wish a simple test to go wrong and wipe us all out before we get the chance to do it to some other advancing civilization out there. This is just a catastrophe waiting to happen.

edit on 2-10-2010 by QuantumDeath because: word

new topics

top topics

join