It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Quadrivium

buster2010

marg6043
reply to post by buster2010

I tell you what, we could do better if all the manufacturing jobs were still here, but since I became a resident of the state of GA, back in 96 in my small town alone we have lost 8 big manufacturing businesses, to name a few or the big names, Merck, Cooper tires, Bob candy, one side of Proctor and Gamble, uniforms, ect.

Now you tell me what we have done wrong that these businesses feel that moving to Mexico and China is better than keeping jobs in the state, and this is just in my small town, the town went from manufactures to welfare recipients.

Do not blame the states, most welfare states now are the product of bad businesses in Washington policies that benefits the pockets of politicians while screwing the working class in the states.

When Washington benefactors benefits from tax payer dollars the states suffer.

Did the government move these jobs overseas? No they didn't blame the people that own the companies for doing that. You can't say taxes were the cause because taxes are lower now than ever so it was nothing more than greed that caused these companies to move.

The government did do this. It started with Bush senior's "Thousand Points of Light" speech and ended with NAFTA.
The Free Trade Act killed manufacturing in this country.

Just because the free trade act was passed that didn't force companies to move jobs out of this country. The people that owned the companies did this of their own free will. The only thing that is important to them is profit they have no loyalty to this country or their former employees. You simply can't blame the government because they don't own the companies.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

mrsdudara
reply to post by Gryphon66

We are a very young country compared to all the rest. Something to keep in mind, perhaps Georgia on its own would not make a big grand stand in the world, but if it buddied up with South Carolina, Florida and Alabama, it would be the size of Germany.

Stop selling us short. People are powerful. It only took a 5th of Georgia's population to start this country.

Chaos happens when one unruly government tries to control such a large population of passionately opinionated people.

I'm not even sure what you're claiming here, honestly.

Georgia, Tennessee and Florida can't even agree about who can take water out of the Chattahoochee River and when ... and you're suggesting here, I guess, that a few of these little satrapies could fight an international war?

Stop selling "us" short? Really? So, "just believe and you can achieve" eh? Right.

Are the conditions in the world in 2014 at all similar to 1790? These States you mention can't even pay their own bills, manage their own affairs, they pass laws so we can all carry our guns to church or into schools which they're trying to turn into the same thing, like freaking madrassas.

Give me a break.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If you research red states they have the worst public education, roads and bridges, basic infrastructure. High arrests and prison rates, the worst poverty, unemployment. If you research southern or red states they lead in all the worst categories. We keep hearing about the decline started 30 years ago, but say it like it is the big decline started when you elected your beloved Ronald Reagan, the beloved GOP war against the middle and lower classes has been in full swing for decades. These anti government zealots in office will and are finishing off what was once a great nation.

Worst Education rankings: I don't want a bunch of red states who's conservative governments supported by low education level to dictate what the rest of us do.

Fix your roads: Until these red states become successful in governing there people this includes roads and bridges and other infrastructure, they should not be dictating how the rest of us should live.

Taking more than you give: Most or all red states take more federal money than they pay in, again a failure to govern correctly.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

marg6043

Well as a resident of Ga I believe that any state resident should stop paying the over bloated and corrupted Federal Government with our taxes and keep all taxes collected to the states.

Remember that when a state ask for help from the federal government we have to understand that is Federal taxes taken from the state workers to feed the federal state.

edit on 10-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Georgia's total receipts in federal Dollars is greater than what it pays to the Federal government in taxes to the tune of about 5 Billion annually.

So if Georgia left the union, it would be a significant net savings to the Fed.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

HanzHenry

angelchemuel
Well, it looks like acts of secession are going on all over the place to a greater or lesser extent! People are reclaiming their voices.
No wonder TPTB/banks are getting jittery .......

Rainbows
Jane

We are collapsing JUST LIKE the Soviet Union did. To see pictures of our once great cities as compared to 30 years ago. And the massive lowering in diposable incomes and the poverty, the poverty is outrageous.

The USA will also split into smaller states like the former USSR. Cascadia, Aztlan, etc.

Ever since the fall of the USSR, I've thought we were headed the same direction. I don't look at this negatively, though. I see it as the inevitable response to an extremely large geographical area being governed from a very focused focal point.

Where I was wrong was with the social changes that the internet brought. I thought that it would be what would help centralized governments govern more effectively therefore helping them stay cohesive but it seems like it works both ways. The growing connectivity that the world is enjoying is also bringing people together who do not like being ruled over by the same power.

The beautiful irony is that I see the conclusion being one where the people come together in true cooperation in order to seperate in true cooperation. I don't see the United States becoming insolvent but I do see it becoming league of nations (50 of them, hopefully) that only provides resources and protection but no rule or government.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If the fed would just filtrate interest free money to the states...maybe things could change?

I just don't get why so many people are supportive of the fed or fearful of fighting it..Kind of like supporting the king. The way I see it either we go down with the ship while the captain takes the only life raft to save his rear end. Or we just shoot the captain and commandeer the ship as best we can.

In actuality there is not "GOOD" option. But we have been dealt plenty of "BAD" choices. Reconstruction of our own governing facilities is in order but no one in this world seems to be have any idea of what to do. Movements like this are good if for only 1 reason. It shows that at least SOME PEOPLE are aware that options like this are available, but like the national movement-tyranny of the majority is still highly possible. I'm dearly afraid that we have passed the point of no return, I do worry for the future generations because lie all you want to convince yourself... things are not peachy and won't be for a long long long time.

This is not how it was supposed to be.
This is how it is.

The revolution will not be televised.
BUT-is the revolution really here?

Power grabs from all sides terrify me.
Republicanize the nation (not political party wise) and lend the states more power with interest free money.
End central banking and back currency in real things...not paper and digitized values that are fake.

It MUST get worse before it gets better, or it will be worse forever.

Someone help us.

I remember being in a future of governance class in college at the University of Tennessee (2010) we talked about how with the world becoming like it is and people a) living longer and b)advances in medicine being pushed to extend life... that people would perhaps go to primary school until 18- go to college- start a career and work for 30-40 years (Insane that this is all life as become-not working to live by farming and trading/bartering but literally working for private companies and corporations to live (as well as those sucking on Uncle Sam's teet) JUST TO LIVE. But anyways-working for 30-40 years and then retiring for 10-20 years) and then perhaps getting a 2nd degree and going BACK to work. Now this is all very farsighted and down the road but I'm beginning to think that this is what it comes down to eventually.

My only one off statement is this. If so much of the world thinks that none of this matters, that nothing happens after death and their is no underlying deep meaning in life (don't want this to turn into a faith/religion debate) then why have we allowed our lives to be consumed by systems that NEED each of us to survive. We have been spoon-fed this opinion so much that so many believe it and to an extent it has BECOME true. Everyone is so dependent upon the system in which we live that one can only begin to wonder what lies ahead if it faulters even more or even collapses. If nothing matters after life then why do we place a faux meaning on life to justify our reasons for existing within highly advanced modernized slavery?

There is no tangible answer on this planet. So we look elsewhere? But why? Moving away from your problems will never solve them.

In the end- Be kind and rewind..er Be kind to each other.
Love-Live and let Live.
Be yourself.
Let others be who they are, even if it isn't what you are.
Have tolerance.
God or Singularity- whatever keeps this world going has plenty of it for us.

Peace in the name of mankind to all.
Love & Namaste

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Cuervo

The beautiful irony is that I see the conclusion being one where the people come together in true cooperation in order to seperate in true cooperation. I don't see the United States becoming insolvent but I do see it becoming league of nations (50 of them, hopefully) that only provides resources and protection but no rule or government.

It's possible to see a breakup but not into 50 countries IMO. I would imagine maybe 5 or 6 regions that make economic and geographic sense. Lets face it, the cost of government is killing us.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by TrueAmerican

be careful what you wish for.

Calling for fiscal responsibility may result in states not getting federal funding.

So here's a thought: Lets cut the federal tax rates and increase each state's tax rate accordingly. Put the money into the local coffers and let the states manage themselves without the need of federal monies.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

saneguy

Cuervo

It's possible to see a breakup but not into 50 countries IMO. I would imagine maybe 5 or 6 regions that make economic and geographic sense. Lets face it, the cost of government is killing us.

Agreed. Any decentralization of any sort would be a step in the right direction for a nation our size.

I love living in a state that generally agrees with me on most issues. Now, if my region were autonomously ran, I would practically be living in the Cuervo Utopia. I'm sure Texans feel the same way and I would love to see them live in their own utopia, as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You guys might profit from or even enjoy a read of The Federalist Papers.

These explain the historical American concept of our Union, the reasons for it, and the arguments against some kind of loose confederacy: written by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay.

If the need for a strong central government was there in 1790, its infinitely more true today.

Comparing such a thing to the breakup of the Soviet Union belies a basic understanding of both countries.

The dissolution of the US would be more like the fall of the Roman Empire a catastrophe of world-wide diminsions.

I have no basis to understand what those of you who are so casually advocating the dissolution of this country are even saying.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Bankrupt Cities, Municipalities List and Map

www.governing.com...

List of Bankruptcy Filings Since January 2010

All Municipal Bankruptcy Filings: 38

General-Purpose Local Government Bankruptcy Filings (8):
-- City of Detroit
-- City of San Bernardino, Calif.
-- Town of Mammoth Lakes, Calf. (Dismissed)
-- City of Stockton, Calif.
-- Jefferson County, Ala.
-- City of Harrisburg, Pa. (Dismissed)
-- City of Central Falls, R.I.
-- Boise County, Idaho (Dismissed)

LAST UPDATED: Dec. 3, 2013

States Facing Bankruptcy

We had previously discussed the problems facing the US Government in handling its budget deficits, but what about the states? The states are reliant on two things: 1) the receipts of their taxpayers and 2) help from the US Government. The US Government has a nice little tool in its tool-belt: the ability to print money…something that California and Schwarzenegger are entirely jealous of. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities released a piece titled “New Fiscal Year Brings No Relief From Unprecedented State Budget Problems“. A few of the juicy details:
At least 48 states have addressed or still face shortfalls in their budgets for fiscal year 2010.
At least 33 states already anticipate deficits for 2011. Initial estimates of these shortfalls total almost $51 billion. As the full extent of 2011 deficits become known, shortfalls are likely to equal $160 to $180 billion.
Combined budget gaps for the next two years — state fiscal years 2010 and 2011 — are estimated to total at least $350 billion.

Best of luck to the taxpayers in Arizona, California, New York, Nevada, & Illinois. Not many are far behind, but the deficits in these states can only mean much higher state taxes. That should be great for unemployment and job growth…

www.surlytrader.com...

America is facing a deficit and cities are falling short in their budgets just like the corrupted Federal govervment we have but is nice to waste and abuse tax dollars in the give away of billions oversea in briberies

How Much Foreign Aid Does the U.S. Give Away?

while foreign aid is well under 1 percent of the total U.S. federal budget, it's still counted in the multiple tens of billions of dollars – around $23 billion this year, or a total of $37 billion if you include assistance to foreign militaries. And that, of course, is a lot of money. Here are the precise figures:

Foreign Aid

In fiscal 2013, U.S. government funding for humanitarian assistance and international development will total around $23 billion. (Back in October, I included spending on diplomacy in the numbers that I reported. In order to directly address the question of how much we give in aid to other countries, I'm now leaving out diplomacy and operations of the State Department.)

Foreign Military Assistance

In addition, the U.S. will spend around $14 billion in fiscal 2013 for foreign military assistance – that's money spent on training foreign armies and providing them with weapons.

Use our Trade-Offs tool to see how many teachers, police officers, and years of health care coverage – among other things – your community could buy with tax dollars currently spent on foreign aid and the military.

nationalpriorities.org...

2012 presidential campaign

Both candidates were given a total of 896 millions, by private interest, can you imagine all the jobs that could be created, or preserved?

www.washingtonpost.com...

How much the Fed has spend in QEs

In 2010 $30 billion, QE1

In 2011 $600 billion, QE2

In 2012 QE3 Open ended with $40 billion monthly in the beginning of the year to $80 billion by the end of the year predicted to last until 2015, monthly.

On 19 June 2013, Ben Bernanke announced a "tapering" of some of the Fed's QE policies contingent upon continued positive economic data. Specifically, he said that the Fed could scale back its bond purchases from $85 billion to $65 billion a month during the upcoming September 2013 policy meeting.[49] He also suggested that the bond buying program could wrap up by mid-2014.[50] While Bernanke did not announce an interest rate hike, he suggested that if inflation follows a 2% target rate and unemployment decreases to 6.5%, the Fed would likely start raising rates. The stock markets dropped approximately 4.3% over the three trading days following Bernanke's announcement, with the Dow Jones dropping 659 points between 19 and 24 June, closing at 14,660 at the end of the day on 24 June.[51] On 18 September 2013, the Fed decided to hold off on scaling back its bond-buying program

en.wikipedia.org...

Americas corporate dictatorship priorities are not and never has been with the states or the tax payers in the nation.

edit on 11-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Even great empires end in one way or the other, is in our worlds history, nothing last for ever.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

And as a lifelong Georgia resident, Georgia is as corrupt as it gets.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Not to mention Georgia grabs a bigger chunk of our income taxes then federal by a decent sized margin and Georgia taxes us on every damn thing and we have to get licenses to do anything and we have county taxes and city taxes and yet Georgia is a corporate loving state and treats its citizens, poor and rich, like red headed stepchildren.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

lumpster13

grey580
reply to post by TrueAmerican

be careful what you wish for.

Calling for fiscal responsibility may result in states not getting federal funding.

So here's a thought: Lets cut the federal tax rates and increase each state's tax rate accordingly. Put the money into the local coffers and let the states manage themselves without the need of federal monies.

Then you would have poor states like in those in the South with huge state tax increases which would drive companies and people to other low tax states. That of course would make the poor states really poor with really high taxes.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Xcathdra
Nice... We should exercise caution though and not rush into this blind.

The ability to amend the Constitution in this manner could have unintended side effects. While the bulk will propose good, decent and honorable ideas, I can also see that setup being used to strip even more away from the states / people for those wanting control.

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin, when asked what type of government was selected

We did not do to good the first time around.. If we do it a second time lets try and get it right.

Either or I support the move - S & F

edit on 10-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

You bet this is bad. You cannot open up to a free for all on changes. Obama would be our last president or some other self elected A hole.

Amendments are one thing, this is quite the other.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

TrueAmerican

But beware of sneaky, tyrannical hands. How many times have we seen unrelated legislation pass on a bill, that has nothing to do with the main legislation? Well the same thing could happen here, if the Convention is called. They might try to further limit, or even abolish, the 2nd Amendment, for example.

I can imagine the issues listed coming up for negotiation, and the 2nd amendment becoming a bargaining chip for the proposed changes. Probably based on the old argument that the founding fathers could not have had assault weapons in mind when forming the 2nd amendment.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

What is it exactly that you believe is the best option? I'm confused. You don't think we should go back to the system that worked where the states had more rights including rights to the money earned in the state? You seem to dislike every option we have. So what is it that you have in your head that would work?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I may be incorrect but I think he is defending the reasons why big government is necessary. In other words he is defending the Federal government.

But like I say, I could be wrong in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

buster2010
Georgia reminds me of the girl suing her parents for college funds and living expenses. We want to do as we please but keep paying our bills for us. If Georgia really wanted to lead other states then make an example and pay your own way instead of begging the government for so much aid. They are part of the reason why we have so much debt because the government has to take care of their people instead of Georgia taking care of them themselves. So until they so this anything they pass against the governments spending is just a joke.

you hit the proverbial "nail on the head" buster...www.ajc.com...

talk about welfare mothers....Georgia is one big fat, "sit-on-your-ass-at-home" state that pilfers other states federal tax dollars for themselves. the feds should tell Georgia to get off their confederate-flag-draped recliners, and take care of their own...all the republicans bitch about how bad California is, and yet they have their "hungry, need money" cardboard sign out when it comes to collecting fed tax dollars....as a resident from california, keep your slimy hands out of my pocket.,......rant over

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join