It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Yes they do, but not always, when the Supreme Clause is exercised.

Why Does Federal Law Supersede State Law?,

The proper relationship between states and the national government has been one of the most hotly contested debates throughout American history. While the drafters of the Constitution reached several compromises and left some areas intentionally vague, they made clear that federal law should supersede state law through a piece of wording known today as the Supremacy Clause..

Supremacy Clause

The Constitution's Supremacy Clause makes it clear that any law passed by Congress trumps state law or constitution. Article IV, clause 2, specifically reads, "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof ... shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding." But as plainly as this idea is spelled out in the text of the Constitution, application of the principle can be complex.

Federalism

Though the U.S. government is a separate national entity and not a federation of states, the fact that states remain as sovereign entities within the U.S. system is a unique feature of American government. The principle that states retain more than nominal sovereignty within the constitutional framework is called federalism, and is most frequently associated with the Ninth and 10th Amendments. Out of respect for federalism, the U.S. Supreme Court will not presume preemption of a state law by a federal law unless doing so is unavoidable.

www.ehow.com...

edit on 10-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by TrueAmerican

be careful what you wish for.

Calling for fiscal responsibility may result in states not getting federal funding.

Good. Half the things the states wind up doing are pushed on them via federal legislation that comes packaged with attractive federal money. You know the Medicaid expansion in Obamacare? Sure, it initially comes with a lot of federal crack (I mean money), but once the state is hooked, the feds pull back on what they pay for the expansion and leave the state on the hook for the rest.

Or else, Congress just says, "Hey, you states, you will now pay this much for law X."

It's about time the states learn how to balance their budgets and trim the fat. But then, I live in a state that is less in the hole than many others. We'll hurt a lot, but less than many others.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my parents, grandparents, and all their friends that you don't consider their homeland a nation by your definition. What matters to me is that they did.

You analogy was still...well non-existant.
edit on 3/10/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Aleister
this probably won't go much further than the deep southern u.s. and maybe arizona, lots of noise but little to show for it except local candidates saying 'elect me and you'll have your convention'. public relations and pats on the back for those who voted for it in georgia, not much else.

-- e.e. aleister

I agree. I think there are defeatists like me who say "why bother?" Also, the people glued to twitter and television. They can't be bothered with anything that is even remotely important or life-altering.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So one of the states that gets the most amount of redistributed wealth to its poor white people is looking to do what? I see why they lost the war of Northern Aggression.

They itching for a revolution in the state itself?

It sounds all good, the let's get back to X but when you see what that means the tune will CHANGE right quick and in a jiffy.

Derek

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by buster2010

I tell you what, we could do better if all the manufacturing jobs were still here, but since I became a resident of the state of GA, back in 96 in my small town alone we have lost 8 big manufacturing businesses, to name a few or the big names, Merck, Cooper tires, Bob candy, one side of Proctor and Gamble, uniforms, ect.

Now you tell me what we have done wrong that these businesses feel that moving to Mexico and China is better than keeping jobs in the state, and this is just in my small town, the town went from manufactures to welfare recipients.

Do not blame the states, most welfare states now are the product of bad businesses in Washington policies that benefits the pockets of politicians while screwing the working class in the states.

When Washington benefactors benefits from tax payer dollars the states suffer.

Did the government move these jobs overseas? No they didn't blame the people that own the companies for doing that. You can't say taxes were the cause because taxes are lower now than ever so it was nothing more than greed that caused these companies to move.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Considering every state in the Union except for Hawaii have called for one and at some estimate nearly 700 attempts have been made this is pretty much a complete and total PR stunt. It has never happened and nobody is even sure how it would and if it would be legal (since it has never happened it has never had a legal challenge to get a rulling. Of course the fact that it requires 32 states to call for it and considering that neither party would support it if the other clalled for it, then we know it will go no where.

Also has other have said, it is ironic the Southern Conservative states are always the ones calling for federal spending cuts and yet they depend on that federal money and are states that take in much more federal money than goes out. Georgia for instance depends on Federal aid for over 30% of its state budget. The very least they could do is set an example and not be the federal welfare queens if they are going to be compalining about federal spending. Of course they know this is nothing but a dog and poney show. Although I would like to see it called and new law be put into place that states get no more money from the Fed than they put into it. Would be funny to watch the Southern Conservative states start screaming then.
edit on 10-3-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Calling for fiscal responsibility may result in states not getting federal funding.

So if that's the Case Then the FEDS should stop Collecting TAX DOLLARS
from the PEOPLE OF GEORGIA.

Just My Opinion

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

By authority of the free people of America
For Immediate Release
March 20, 2012
In Defense Of The Constitution Amendment 001 — to the National Defense Authorization Act Executive Order

IN DEFENSE OF THE CONSTITUTION AMENDMENT TO THE NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT EXECUTIVE ORDER

Bythe authority first granted in me by our Creator as was written down
in our Constitution and as the chief representative with the full consensus from my fellow countrymen, I do hereby include and immediately implement this amendment to fully nullify each provision of the National Defense Authorization Act Executive Order that comes into conflict with any of the statutes as were set down in our Constitution by our founding fathers. Furthermore from this point on any future policy changes that attempt to supplant the free rights and liberties of the American people as expressed in the Constitutionshall also be immediately rendered null and void.
Lastly each and every participant convicted of conspiring to again deprive the free people of America any of their rights or liberties shall be hanged
until dead.

Signed, standing Chief Representative of We The People
Co-signed, the blood of all our fallen Patriots before me...
AMERICA
March 20, 2012

If Anyone at that Convention thinks about Changing the Second Amendment , then According to these Gentlemen , there will be Hell To Pay........

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ok... I don't trust these yokels in Congress when they get together making laws. I DEFINITELY don't trust them to get together to make constitutional amendments...

Whomever thinks this is a good time has got to step away from the pipe.

They are making nothing but a mess with legislation and people want them to get together amend the Constitution?

/throwshatonground

Be very careful what you ask for...
edit on 10-3-2014 by Terminal1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

bluesman1955
reply to post by grey580

So if that's the Case Then the FEDS should stop Collecting TAX DOLLARS
from the PEOPLE OF GEORGIA.

Just My Opinion

And Georgia would be totally bankrupt before the year is over. How would the citizens of Georgia react if the state raised their taxes to compensate for the lack of Federal funds? Also what would the people do if the government shut down the interstate highways that belongs to the feds after all the federal government did pay for it to be built. This means 1244 miles of road is closed to the public this would wreck business.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

snypwsd
reply to post by HanzHenry

wow so you want the corrupt system to continue?

not in the least.

my point is that those in power are wholly corrupt. The Banskters that pull their purse strings are wholly corrupt, and the ELites who give the banksters their marching orders are so corrupt that a new words 1,000,000 times stronger than corrupt needs invented.

SO, when ALL parties with a voice are so blatantly corrupt, nothing will improve!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As a native and current Georgian, allow me to apologize to the rest of the nation for the short-sightedness of my State Representatives and Senators. The only hopeful thing I can say is that the demographics in Georgia are rapidly shifting.

This "Convention of States" crap sounds really official, doesn't it? It's not.

However, this is something the Georgia Legislature does to pass the time, when it's not passing laws to allow concealed carry weapons in church, the airport, schools, etc.

A similar measure reared its head in February as it does from time to time like back in February 2014:
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

It’s at least the 12th application the state has submitted in recent history requesting a convention.

It's hardly historic ... merely more dim-wittedness from the same folks who voted on April 1 2009, 43 to 1, to SECEDE from the US.

Yes, that's right, this same Georgia Senate voted to dissolve the United States of America; VERRRY patriotic folks down heah.
(Source)

Yee-haw.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

marg6043

I tell you what, we could do better if all the manufacturing jobs were still here, but since I became a resident of the state of GA, back in 96 in my small town alone we have lost 8 big manufacturing businesses, to name a few or the big names, Merck, Cooper tires, Bob candy, one side of Proctor and Gamble, uniforms, ect.

Now you tell me what we have done wrong that these businesses feel that moving to Mexico and China is better than keeping jobs in the state, and this is just in my small town, the town went from manufactures to welfare recipients.

Do not blame the states, most welfare states now are the product of bad businesses in Washington policies that benefits the pockets of politicians while screwing the working class in the states.

When Washington benefactors benefits from tax payer dollars the states suffer.

For well over a century the federal government was largely financed by tariffs averaging about 20% on foreign imports. There are no tariffs for imports or shipments from other states. Since the 1940s foreign trade policies have focused more on reciprocal tariffs and low tariff rates rather than using tariffs as a significant source of Federal tax revenue. The goal of using higher tariffs to promote industrialization was urged by the first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, and after him the Whig Party. They generally failed because Jeffersonian and Jacksonian Democrats said the tariff should be only high enough to pay the government's bills; otherwise it would hurt the consumers. The Republicans, however, made high tariffs the centerpiece of their economic policy beginning in 1861, and as late as 1930. Since 1930 tariffs have not been a major political issue.
wiki

I am not saying tariffs would solve all our problems but in todays world where shipping goods overseas is so easy and only getting easier without reinstating tariffs to some degree I only forsee things getting worse.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

buster2010

Did the government move these jobs overseas?

Their corrupted corporate benefiting voting did, promoting outsourcing for profits.

No they didn't blame the people that own the companies for doing that.

Politicians will never bite the hand that fills their pockets, and like you said they will never blame the people that own these companies.

You can't say taxes were the cause because taxes are lower now than ever so it was nothing more than greed that caused these companies to move.

Never did, talking about paying federal taxes by the working class, have nothing to do with taxes that companies pay and that is what I was referring too.

And for the poster that said GA is going to be bankrupted, I got news for you most welfare states in the nation are already bankrupted

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Tariffs worked when US was the number one producing country in the world, now is too much competition, from developing countries that US companies have moved their manufacturing base.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

buster2010

marg6043

Well as a resident of Ga I believe that any state resident should stop paying the over bloated and corrupted Federal Government with our taxes and keep all taxes collected to the states.

Remember that when a state ask for help from the federal government we have to understand that is Federal taxes taken from the state workers to feed the federal state.

edit on 10-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Seeing how your state gets back way more than it pays in then your state isn't carrying it's weight. So your state needs to step up to plate and start taking care of your own people instead expecting the government to take care of it's citizens. My state receives far less than we pay in so why should my tax dollars take care of your state because your state fails to pay it's bills?
edit on 10-3-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

I believe this has been the case only recently...maybe the past 12 or so years? Before that GA pretty much prided itself on not being beholden to the goverment. GA opted out of no child left behind and similar programs, funded education with the lottery and did it well too.

I remember this well because it so impressed me when I was transferred here that it wasn't such a backwards place as I had imagined.

But then something changed.....
edit on 3/10/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

Oh man, what are you doing in GA?
lol

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Tariffs made it to where moving production over seas was less equitable because the goods being shipped into the country were subject to the tariff.

I do not know of any tariffs that were implemented on outgoing goods by the US to other countries.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I believe it changed when most manufacturing left the state, in the last 15 years, now they are working on legislation to legalize medicinal marijuana to bring more income, If this is approved I imagine that it will open the door for more.

www.wsbtv.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join