It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Remember that protest scheduled in DC this Sunday? What a coincidence. Who really planned to protest and why was it in such conjunction with this state finally stepping up?
I'm waiting for this to happen now. My prediction. Federal Government says its not happenings. More people show up than anticipated because MSM ACTUALLY HAS COVERAGE FOR ONCE.

Anyone else not see the possibilities?

DENY IGNORANCE
STAY POSITIVE
SHARE THE WEALTH

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Makes me happy to be a Georgian by birth.

Now, what states will follow??

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I am hoping Missouri will follow...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
[m

Federal laws trump state laws. This is likely just a puplicity stunt for GOPers to raise more donations. Money grab - won't change anything. The harder these states that don't like Obama try to squeeze out the Federal government, the faster they bring about the very changes they're trying to avoid.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So this is great and all but I have an honest question for you all. They want to limit the amount of influence, power and financial control that the Federal Government has over their state. I applaud this effort greatly. I am curious though, if this goes both ways. The Federal Government does exert a lot of control over the states but they do so because the states are so reliant on federal money. If GA wants to stop letting the feds have control over them, they need to become self-reliant.

When states wanted to keep the drinking age at 18, the fed held highway money over the state's head until everyone eventually conceded and raised it to 21. Without the financial control and dependency, the states would have some wiggle room to make decisions irregardless of the fed.

Now mind you, this is rather old information but as of 2004, Georgia was pretty even on federal spending vs federal taxes collected at about $1.01 in spending per tax dollar generated so maybe Georgia is a good place to start!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Ever want to move far away but you can't?

Yeah....

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Aleister
this probably won't go much further than the deep southern u.s. and maybe arizona, lots of noise but little to show for it except local candidates saying 'elect me and you'll have your convention'. public relations and pats on the back for those who voted for it in georgia, not much else.

-- e.e. aleister

The deep south is where this movement would hurt the most. States like Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Arkansas are the ones who are the most reliant on federal spending! The northern states are the ones who are less reliant on federal spending. It's a tough call... I applaud the movement but without federal monies being spent in some of these states, they would be in a whole world of hurt.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The last time states really tried to limit federal government influence Lincoln caused the deaths of three quarters of a million Americans (at least.) I can only imagine how many they'll kill this time.

Also most of the scumbags in DC don't honor any oaths anyway and as the Constitution is toilet paper to them a new amendment limiting them would probably have the same effect as the "shall not be infringed" portion of the 2nd. They'll simply ignore it or lawyer it to death and blackmail the supreme court into compliance.

That said, Go Georgia! You rock.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

be careful what you wish for.

Calling for fiscal responsibility may result in states not getting federal funding.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

This is a very good start.

And you know what? We can attack and fix many of the issues at the federal level through the state. For example, states can implement term limits on Congress so that we don't allow corruption so much time to fester.

Federal powers should really be very limited to a very few things, per the Constitution. If you ask me (which you didnt, but...), one of the reasons the federal govenment has expanded to way past it's original intent was because 1.) the states let them, 2.) the states slacked in their responsibilities, and 3.) the states got greedy too.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Your analogy to Ukraine is a fail. Even as part of the USSR, Ukraine was a republic unto itself. And it was a country before the USSR formed too.

I don't mean for this to come off as mean or anything, but there is no correlation really.
edit on 3/10/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well its a start. Glad my state was the first.

I have NO worry about the state ratifying the 2nd amendment here in Ga.

Rednecks would storm the capital

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Your analogy to Ukraine is a fail. Even as part of the USSR, Ukraine was a republic unto itself. And it was a country before the USSR formed too.

The Ukraine had never been what we currently term an independent nation state until the break up of the USSR in 1991.
Previously it was a hotly contested and fragmented region which was controlled at various times by various combinations of Russia, Poland, Austria-Hungary, Lithuania and I think if memory serves me right the Ottoman Turks.
Whilst being an original member of the USSR it was heavily dictated to by Moscow and the Russian Soviet Republic.

But that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

My point was that Western Europe, including many former USSR controlled Republics, are increasingly moving towards political union.
A result of that union will be that policies and legislation will increasingly be dictated from the central EU governing body and not the independent nation states.
It seems that many believe that the US central, Federal governing body is increasingly exerting its power and influence over the constituent States that comprise the USA. Many also believe that this contravenes many parts of the US Constitution and Bill Of Rights and is in direct opposition to the intended spirit and ethos that under pins the US.

I wouldn't dream of attempting to give any serious or qualified opinion on the validity of these arguments and viewpoints.

However, viewed from the outside looking in it seems that there is an increasing movement within the US as a whole towards fragmentation in an effort to desist the powers of the Federal government. This at a time when increasing pressure is being put on us here in Europe to move towards allowing more and more power being given to a centralised government - although no-one openly admits it there seems to be a deep desire in some quarters to forge some kind of Union Of European States.

I think in this instance we in Europe could learn a lot from what is going on in the USA at present.

Either way, whichever way the US decides to go it will have ramifications across the rest of the world.

I for one wish you luck.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, as much as I hope this passes, and we actually make a change for the better, I can't stop thinking that this might be a play at erasing some of our liberties in the process...Either in the fine print, or pulling the ol' switcheroo when it comes time to sign. But I'm really hoping that my fears prove to be unfounded.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I did a search on the web for info on this,and other than this:

www.41nbc.com...
and some blog sites and the like, it's nonexistant. I can understand the MSM not covering this, but if this thing isn't a hoax, why hasn't it been picked up by Drudge, or Alex Jones, or Glenn Beck and the Blaze? This kinda stuff is their bread and butter....

ETA: This should have been the first place I looked:
www.legis.ga.gov...

So it looks like it did pass...so again, where are the Drudges, Joneses, and Beck's on this one? Why haven't they chimed in?

edit on 10-3-2014 by QuantumCypher because: clarification/grammar

edit on 10-3-2014 by QuantumCypher because: Added link

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Buttttt...

It means nothing until 16 other states pass it.

Not only that but how long does it last? Will it last forever? Will it be until those other states pass it or is there a time frame that the others must pass in?

Not only that but if it doesn't pass in a decent time frame, will people even remember the purpose or hold the ideals that the current Congress that passed it did with its passing?

Forgive me for being pessimistic, but the idea may have been conceivable under 13 states that weren't dominated by two political parties. Getting 5 states to agree to such might not have been too difficult, but nowadays... very unlikely. Not to mention those in Washington could just ignore it like they did the countless petitions and secessions.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I tell you what, we could do better if all the manufacturing jobs were still here, but since I became a resident of the state of GA, back in 96 in my small town alone we have lost 8 big manufacturing businesses, to name a few or the big names, Merck, Cooper tires, Bob candy, one side of Proctor and Gamble, uniforms, ect.

Now you tell me what we have done wrong that these businesses feel that moving to Mexico and China is better than keeping jobs in the state, and this is just in my small town, the town went from manufactures to welfare recipients.

Do not blame the states, most welfare states now are the product of bad businesses in Washington policies that benefits the pockets of politicians while screwing the working class in the states.

When Washington benefactors benefits from tax payer dollars the states suffer.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

TownCryer
[m

Federal laws trump state laws. This is likely just a puplicity stunt for GOPers to raise more donations. Money grab - won't change anything. The harder these states that don't like Obama try to squeeze out the Federal government, the faster they bring about the very changes they're trying to avoid.

Actually that is not always true. In some instances the States have more say than the federal does. I for one support a new convention to exercise their states rights to amend the constitution.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I would point out this is an opportunity for TPTB to change the US Constitution LEGALLY and get rid of the 2nd Amendment. Having a constitutional convention only allows for changes to be made in the Constitution, not the reapplication and enforcement of it. That's up to us.
You have been warned.
edit on 10-3-2014 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The convention of the state they held in early December just needed three or four more states to join in to make it official. When Obama spoke to a group of governors, both Democrat and Republican, he apparently threatened them and flat out told them he didn't trust them to run their states.

If Obama is making threats to governors of both parties, then this may be serious and you may see the dominoes start to fall rather quickly as it seems Congress is not finding any sort of backbone.

It may also explain McConnell's uncharacteristic remarks the other day. The TEA Party holds a lot more power at the state and local levels as does the sincere elements of Occupy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join