It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Quake Just Slammed California

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

At present, it's difficult to see the signatures of the aftershocks through the mess of large waves from the mainshock on the seismograms.
We don't have that problem on the spectrograms; and 24 hours from now, when those large waves "fall off" the screen it won't be a problem anymore on the seismos.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Actually I can report that the LGB station is currently in a serious telemetry error state. I wouldn't trust much of anything you see there at the moment. And please don't ask me how I know that, k? Just trust me. Hard to do, I know, but I be da bringer of truth, best I can. Even if it is laced with doom sometimes, as others here, ahem, accuse me of.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Ugh, I see that now. I was looking at the foreshock on this image--link--and then it goes haywire. Bummer. It will be back, though. It usually doesn't stay broken for more than a few days.

edit on 3/10/2014 by Olivine because: modify

TA, I think you are correct to be wary of more quakes and/or a larger quake, for 2 reasons:
1. We haven't seen a large aftershock yet.
2. This area has a history of strong quakes coming in bunches.

Take a look at the mag 6.0 and larger earthquakes in the area since the 1970's. IRIS EQ browser

This is the associated table of the 14 earthquakes shown above.

Notice 1991 spilling into 1992, '94-'95, and 2 days apart in 2005.

So we may very well not be done here.
edit on 3/10/2014 by Olivine because: add info

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So couldn't wait to come on to get some updates on this huge EQ. No live reports from members in the area? Any live links to video coverage of the epicenter and or damage? What the experts are saying or not saying? The statistics are fine but I have no TV to watch or listen to of the people who felt the shake or were at ground zero.

My local news have not mentioned it!

How far did they feel the shaking? More information on a rolling effect verses a hard shaking type EQ.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

TrueAmerican
reply to post by Olivine

Actually I can report that the LGB station is currently in a serious telemetry error state. I wouldn't trust much of anything you see there at the moment. And please don't ask me how I know that, k? Just trust me. Hard to do, I know, but I be da bringer of truth, best I can. Even if it is laced with doom sometimes, as others here, ahem, accuse me of.

Wouldn't call you a "bringer of doom", just someone who is putting out a lot of info, making comparisons, and keeping people up to date on what is going on.

Showing how the information matches patterns of bad quakes in prior times does not a doomsayer make.

Keep doing what you do. It's good work.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
So local news just made a small and quick blurb on the major EQ. They said, "No immediate reports of damage or injury." Period. To me no news does not equate good news with the msm. Am I just worried for no reason? I have immediate family in the Redding area.
edit on am331amMon, 10 Mar 2014 08:02:29 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Yeah, the lack of a larger aftershock up to about 5.5 or so, I suppose can be just as suspicious as seeing another 6.8 or 7.1 hit, in which case I'd be screaming bloody murder. But then again, a lot of bigger quakes have no aftershocks at all sometimes, so it's anyone's guess. Good work digging up that quake history though. Thanks.

And antar, all you can do is suggest to your people to try and stay alert and be prepared, just in case. But things for the moment appear to be calming down with the fault, as I view the live monitoring. So let's hope the west coast dodged another bullet.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

And the aftershocks continue. Just now another incoming. Small, but that fault is still moving.

As long as the fault moves thats a good thing. Its when it gets stuck that problems "arise".

Thanks for the updates…

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
No replies? Am I invisible? Validation here, any members in the Eureka area reporting in? Am MEGA busy but will continue to check back.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Sorry TA did not see your reply, I guess that is solid info to pass to them not that they ever listen to me. They live the life of buy today for today's needs. I wonder if this 'was' a precursor which I do not think it is, what magnitude would it be telling of? How big an eq could we expect if this just a precursor? Or do you think that it is more volcanic disturbance from the 6.9 that is of concern I have read this whole thread but am still not so sure what this all means. What are the supposed experts saying or thinking? On our middle of the country msm it is like a non event.
edit on am331amMon, 10 Mar 2014 09:19:40 -0500 by antar because: fingers cant keep up with thoughts

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, this quake originated from the Gorda plate, which is basically the broken off southern end of the Juan de fuca plate. This is a triple junction and so it can be a bit tricky to figure things out. This plate has a history of producing a few in the 7mag range, so while this isn't considered a 'regular' occurrence it isn't unexpected. The concern, of course, is that whenever we have a moderate-large quake anywhere near the Cascadia Subduction Zone we all wonder if this could be the one that triggers the next 'big' one. That monster can produce 9+ (some speculate as high as 10) and basically runs from South of Alaska all the way to Northern California.

Local reports have been that of a long duration rolling movement (without the typical shaking) No major damage reported other than cups spilling, etc., but it was felt by a lot of people. No tsunami.

Here. I am a very visual person and so I LOVE images/maps. Especially when it comes to all these plates and the mechanics behind them. Here are a few of my favorites:

My favorite for showing how the subduction works:

@TA: The farther-out quake you were referring to. Did that get put back up? There is a 4.4 at 10km deep out a ways. Still on the Gorda plate, but close to the fault. If I am getting all of this right, the Gorda plate is kind of like a broken piece of eggshell, sitting on top of the Juan De Fuca. So all of this, hopefully, is simply surface movement and totally unrelated to any other plates or the CSZ. However, with the quakes on the North American Plate side......I dunno. I'm going to do a little more research on the depth of the Gorda plate and the Juan De Fuca plate and the CSZ for that region. I know it gets more shallow at the southern end (I think). I think we need to be paying close attention to any tremor at this point (slow tremor). There has been quiet a bit down at the southern end this past week or so.

ETA: I am a firm believer in yin-yang so don't be surprised if we see a moderate sized quake North soon on the Explorer plate or in the Queen Charlotte fault.
edit on 10-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Voyaging
Anchor Point, Alaska just had a 2.8
UPDATE: It has now been updated to a 3.7
edit on 10-3-2014 by Voyaging because: (no reason given)

I may have felt that, I'm only 30 min away. Although It just could have been a fart.

Thanks for the update

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

And here is a nice little diagram of how the system could very well be an extrusion feature on an expanding earth:

Escape tectonics and the extrusion of Alaska: Past, present, and future
T. F. Redfi eld Geological Survey of Norway, Leiv Eirikssens vei 39, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
David W. Scholl Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94035, USA, and U.S. Geological Survey,
Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Paul G. Fitzgerald Department of Earth Sciences, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA
Myrl E. Beck, Jr. Department of Geology, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington 98225, USA

ABSTRACT The North Pacifi c Rim is a tectonically active plate boundary zone, parts of which may be characterized as a laterally moving oro- genic stream. Crustal blocks are transported along large-magnitude strike-slip faults in western Canada and central Alaska toward the Aleutian–Bering Sea subduction zones. Throughout much of the Cenozoic, at and west of its Alaskan nexus, the North Pacifi c Rim orogenic Stream (NPRS) has undergone tectonic escape. During transport, relatively rigid blocks acquired paleomagnetic rotations and fault-juxtaposed boundaries while flowing differentially through the system, from their original point of accretion and entrainment toward the free face defined by the Aleutian–Bering Sea subduction zones. Built upon classical terrane tectonics, the NPRS model provides a new framework with which to view the mobilistic nature of the western North American plate boundary zone.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's been downgraded to 6.8 now

A few small quakes happening in Oregon today . Aftershocks?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What's weird to me (and maybe there is nothing strange about it at all), is that with all of these quakes by this fault we don't see the everyday ones that we usually do throughout California. Maybe I'm just not seeing them but from what I'm observing nothing but this area has been shaking for the last 24 hours (minus a small Nevada one).

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I truly appreciate you breaking that down in such a way that I actually get it. Am heading to bed but wanted to check in again just to try and understand a bti better what happened in California and what it could and or does mean.

Good to see you and will send my prayers out tonight for peace and stillness after this release.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Hmm, this could be bad. I am very familiar with the geology in that area. If there are more quakes in that area or North, we could see volcanic activity.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I so appreciate you, TrueAmerican. You always keep us up to date on information like this and I just want you to know that your hard work doesn't go unnoticed.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Dianec
What's weird to me (and maybe there is nothing strange about it at all), is that with all of these quakes by this fault we don't see the everyday ones that we usually do throughout California. Maybe I'm just not seeing them but from what I'm observing nothing but this area has been shaking for the last 24 hours (minus a small Nevada one).

It's because it's a subduction fault. Subduction faults can get snagged internally and "locked" where they build up pressure. One might have some movement on the fault but it's infrequent. Larger movements in it relieve some of the pressure so this particular quake may have been a good thing. It generally takes over a 6 to release the pressure meaningfully. The Cascadia subduction zone usually snaps violently on an average of every 400 years (between 300-600 years iirc) and has been doing so for thousands and thousands of years. Based on tree ring data from trees that perished during the last quake to saltwater incursion and Japanese recorded history of a tsunami that destroyed a fishing village, the last major movement was in 1700. So the Cascadia subduction zone is in that potential time period. I think the current probability of it happening in the next 50 years is a little over 25%. Prior events generated considerable damage to the West coast. I think a comparable quake to look at as to how bad it'll be would be the Good Friday Quake in Alaska.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

I remember Saint Helen's, that was a big event, I know there are many that if they went would cause massive evacs and untold $$$ to the already suffering economy.

Worthy of having a plan as already discussed in this thread, not to cause panic or an impending sense of doom, but this is our fragile existence on an ever changing planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join