It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Quake Just Slammed California

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

experts are saying this is a strike-slip mechanism of the Gorda Plate.

(at least so far...)
edit on 10-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Crud, this could be bad if it's a foreshock series. I hope this is all it is, though.

This reminds me, I got a new laptop that still needs GEE installed. No time like the present! Could be an interesting night to watch on it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Sorry, west, can't help ya with that. IRIS has been pretty crappy lately as far as live monitoring.

So far, this appears to be a classic mainshock-aftershock sequence. No real big aftershocks yet to make me suspect the worst. But I remind you that's what we thought about the 9+ in Japan after the 7.2 hit. It looked just the same, with its own set of aftershocks. Then WHAM.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

cheesy
I think this quake that trigger the big one in cali..its 6 hours ago..
m.emsc.eu...

Greetings Cheesy!
Haven't seen you around for awhile
I posted a thread on that one www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-3-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I just got up to get water and turned on the radio (coast to coast) and heard the EQ news report. I use to live in Calif.. now I logged on here for info.

Get more here on ATS!! Thanks!!

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Checking in from at the moment, my folks place, 56 miles from epicenter. As of now no tsunami warning issued although we are above the tsunami line by far. No gas lines broken but still checking. Caltrans has reported no road damage so far. All the stuctures are still standing with very little debris. We try to keep the places pretty well battened down generally. I'm waiting on updates from my people in town and I'll update as the info comes in.

That said, it was a doozy. Started out very gradual and just continued to roll, smooth not jerking from side to side. It started to die down for a moment and then picked up again. I've lived in California all my life, born in southern Cali just before the 71 quake and was visiting during the Northridge quake down there, and although the lack of damage is good, this one made me nervous for sure.

Penny

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I'm trying to understand the impact of major Juan De Fuca plate quake. It's holding two other plates in place (image appears that way). Are you saying if this goes it destabilizes the entire thing from north to south and therefore sets off something unprecedented (has the potential to)?

I have a lot of family in California so am not trying to be weird about it but rather hear the concern in many on this one.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
All okay down here from around the corner from JPL (Pasadena/Altadena). Didn't feel a thing.

However, don't think I'll be sleeping much 😔 This is troublesome to say the least.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Stopping in for an easy comeback tomorrow.
Great thread, good to see we have some people that felt the quake and many more right on top of any aftershock.
Im down in SoCal so be keeping my eye on this one

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Dianec
I'm trying to understand the impact of major Juan De Fuca plate quake. It's holding two other plates in place (image appears that way). Are you saying if this goes it destabilizes the entire thing from north to south and therefore sets off something unprecedented (has the potential to)?

I have a lot of family in California so am not trying to be weird about it but rather hear the concern in many on this one.

According the leading authority at PNSN (Pacific Northwest Seismic Network) this mechanism is looking like a strike-slip on the Gorda plate. So, this means that it did NOT originate from the subduction zone, but rather the plate to the west of it.

What is a little bit concerning to me, are the subsequent smaller quakes (deeper) on both sides of the subduction zone. This could possible indicate some movement in the subducting plates. It is always a crap shoot as to what could set things in motion.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
One here in Cali
Is this an aftershock?

Magnitude: 2.6

Time: Mon, Mar 10, 2014, 12:15:48 AM PDT
GMT: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 07:15:48 GMT

Latitude: 40° 19' 32" N (40.3257°)
Longitude: 124° 10' 55" W (-124.1820°)
Depth: 4.0 km

Map: maps.google.com...@40.325700,-124.182000&z=6

More Information (while available): earthquake.usgs.gov...

Data provided by US Geological Survey.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

westcoast
What is a little bit concerning to me, are the subsequent smaller quakes (deeper) on both sides of the subduction zone. This could possible indicate some movement in the subducting plates. It is always a crap shoot as to what could set things in motion.

West, the three quakes to the right of the red line are all much shallower than the main quake. And in the case of the two northernmost of those, almost right at the surface! Like .3 and .4 km! That's incredibly shallow.

But wait. We are experienced ATSers, and we know the extreme unreliability of depths plotted out there, because of the lack of possible triangulation for correct azimuth- due to there only being stations on land. We've been through this before, remember? In looking up previous seismicity on the Gorda Plate, this quake falls within that zone of seismicity, even as big as it is. It could be classified as a "normal" place for quakes to take place there, so hopefully that eases concerns a bit. But just a bit. Don't let down the guards, peoples. Not for at least a few days. Those shallow quakes are indeed on the subduction side, and no telling WHAT is brewing.

And the aftershocks continue. Just now another incoming. Small, but that fault is still moving.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
There are earthquakes of this magnitude or larger in this region all the time -- a couple a year, often times. Take a look at the USGS EQ catalog for the area. Don't know why this made the news, and don't know why people are talking about here. There's at least two threads on it here, for Pete's sake.
edit on 10-3-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
You all need to make a note of any other effects - things like animal restlessness, etc which might foretell some more activity. Even smells, lights, sounds or ball lightening etc too perhaps.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I felt it just outside Eureka and so did everyone else! It was by far the strongest I have felt since I moved here 20 years ago.. It was very long and rolling. Strange that it is so shallow. Also strange that there has been no damage.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

gwynned
I felt it just outside Eureka and so did everyone else! It was by far the strongest I have felt since I moved here 20 years ago.. It was very long and rolling. Strange that it is so shallow. Also strange that there has been no damage.

Probably the fact it was a rolling and not a jerking quake that it did not to as much damage as thought.

Be safe over there folks!!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Please continue updating us west coaster's with Earths changes, since you got the lead on the threads. Carry on Captain

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Well, seems like everythings ok. I went back to bed after logging on here and hanging for awhile and hearing the radio..and nothing much more happened.

I remember when I lived in Orange County Calif., and an earthquake woke me up shaking the bed and I woke up thinking what!! I turned on the TV and the News folks were under their desk!! hahaha! Then they slowly popped their heads up... true story!!

Hope its stays stable now.
edit on 10-3-2014 by RUFFREADY because: spelling

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Magnitude: 3.2

Time: Mon, Mar 10, 2014, 12:49:00 AM PDT
GMT: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 07:49:00 GMT

Latitude: 40° 39' 18" N (40.6552°)
Longitude: 125° 7' 14" W (-125.1208°)
Depth: 5.1 km

Map: maps.google.com...@40.655200,-125.120800&z=6

More Information (while available): earthquake.usgs.gov...

Data provided by US Geological Survey.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join