It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Church Is Set to Launch in Several New Cities

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Yeah, I prefer the word unbeliever. It's direct and to the point. The word atheist is like calling a toilet cleaner a sanitation technician. It may be true, but the issue is about cleaning toilets and the other is about being an unbeliever. It's just so much more exact to the point. An unbeliever is one who does not believe in God.

I suppose that's true.

I prefer "incredulous". An adjective works much better than the labelling of a noun. It forces one to consider me before my label. I also practice the religion of silence, leaving my denomination for my eyes only.
edit on 10-3-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Literacy has little to do with processing power.

I can put a 5tb hard drive on my computer, but if the processor is still only working at 33mhz, its slow.

Oh? So you are going to argue with me that humans are getting dumber based on processing power? So have you read any scientific articles or journals that suggest that human brain size is shrinking or that thought power has decreased at all? Everything I've read suggests that humans have the same processing power as they did during the caveman days. Though I haven't read any recent journals on the subject, maybe you can illuminate me.
edit on 10-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

Im sorry i missed this.

I don't believe people today are any smarter or dumber than in prior years. I do think that we have some cobwebs that have formed in some of the corners of our minds that are not in use currently. I think that logic skills are one such area that the cobwebs are a bit overwhelming in.

I don't think brain size has anything at all to do with processing power or memory. There are examples of hemispherectomy patients that go on to graduate college.

I think literacy has nothing at all to do with how intelligent a person it is. What it DOES help is their exposure to new ideas, and their ability to practice some of their thinking skills. But someone who cannot read is no less intelligent than someone who can. They are just less practiced.

Processing power does not change once you put a larger hard drive into the machine. The processor is the processor, no matter what other modifcations are done.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

10 years of reading atheists musings on ATS and this doesn't surprise me one bit.

But we can forgive them. In society there is a place for all people, including the less bright bulbs.

The really bright bulbs being the ones that believe god spoke to man as a burning bush, all the stars were formed after planet Earth, birds existed before land animals, a man lived inside a whale for 3 days, and dinosaurs were on a big ship? Okay

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Societies without God tend to replace him with government.

One way or another, power requires its people to worship at some altar.

so true.

we are lucky to be living in countries where man made laws can be changed when needed.

and we don't have the religious police, either. their laws are less likely to change at all.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

we always trade one set of shackles for another. No real net gains when you step back and look at it.

Although I am all too happy to enjoy my current illusion of freedom, rather than what those folks in N. Korea have to experience.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Fromabove

LesMisanthrope
reply to post by ManFromEurope

This is oh-so-wrong! Choosing NOT to believe is atheism. Any other way to see atheism is a way to speak negatively about it, usually used by the churches to discredit non-believers.

The word "atheism" was invented by the church to discredit non-believers. The word itself is church rhetoric.

Yeah, I prefer the word unbeliever. It's direct and to the point. The word atheist is like calling a toilet cleaner a sanitation technician. It may be true, but the issue is about cleaning toilets and the other is about being an unbeliever. It's just so much more exact to the point. An unbeliever is one who does not believe in God.

edit on 10-3-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

seems to me that unbeliever, is not very PC. sounds like some cheesy movie dialog.

unlike sanitation tech which is PC.

but here we call them bathroom attendants, actually.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

great post!

i believe you got very close to the heart of their motivation.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
So confused. Hmm.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

I don't think there is much to it. Just people wanting to host an event for like-minded people. I'm sure money is a factor as well.

Not representative to atheism as a whole even if they are atheists.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

ohh mate, I have tried ... more for my own sanity than trying to save anyone else's. No one wants to listen ,so I just waffle on regardless lol

hx

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Skyfloating

10 years of reading atheists musings on ATS and this doesn't surprise me one bit.

But we can forgive them. In society there is a place for all people, including the less bright bulbs.

The really bright bulbs being the ones that believe god spoke to man as a burning bush, all the stars were formed after planet Earth, birds existed before land animals, a man lived inside a whale for 3 days, and dinosaurs were on a big ship? Okay

I believe that the Bible says in the first sentence that God created the heavens and the earth, or, the stars and then the Earth.

Who would have ever thought you would see people speaking to little hand held boxes and that those boxes would be speaking back.

And who would have thought that living organisms could remain viable for thousands of years in ice or amber.

And..... dinosaurs died out before the genesis of man as we know him to be. Why would God have to have them be here when he prepared the earth for mankind to live on. Just before the genesis we read that the earth was covered by thick clouds and water and had no life on it.

The bulb does burn ever so brightly, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

We are basically in agreement. Humans are currently suffering from a lack of critical thinking skills, but still have the same thinking ability as our ancestors.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I believe that the Bible says in the first sentence that God created the heavens and the earth, or, the stars and then the Earth.

In fact it does not. It says that about the Earth, yes. Hence the problem. Here is the 4th Day in Genesis:

1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Who would have ever thought you would see people speaking to little hand held boxes and that those boxes would be speaking back.

So because we have iPhones it's probable bushes have the capacity to produce human language?

dinosaurs died out before the genesis of man as we know him to be. Why would God have to have them be here when he prepared the earth for mankind to live on. Just before the genesis we read that the earth was covered by thick clouds and water and had no life on it.

Genesis clearly says on Day 6 all land animals are made. Dinosaurs and Humans together. It also says birds were made prior to that, which we know is not true.

I agree about dinosaurs dying out before man. The Bible doesn't.
edit on 11-3-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join