It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A world without religion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Thank you for contributing your thoughts LL. It is good perspective to share.
Happiest people that I know do not need morals defined for them. They just enjoy being alive and to me that is conducive to health and well being.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

UltraverseMaximus

BayesLike
reply to post by UltraverseMaximus

Just curious, since we would have all been better off, do tell me which religion started WWI and WWII? Which religion accounted for the deaths of over 100 million in the Soviet Union, China, and many other communist countries in the 20th century?

And I'm also curious as to what makes you think that, without religion, "right" would not be defined by might?

I never said we would have been better off but I did imply we will be better off now though. The issue is trying to blame a religion for these things in the first place. Many people that died were not fighting for the religion, however religions were the string pullers and money mongers behind the living guns (people).

Religions could be specified better as a system of beliefs one holds over another's.

For you final enquiry, I believe that I know right and wrong at the core level and almost always have since I was a child. I feel the texts outline ideas for the specific time and it has carried over to today reducing many personal freedoms through fear of so called sins.
I do not think people need these text books to define right or wrong, these are subjective and dependent on the culture of society and the times we live in.

I don't think religion is any more dangerous than any other belief system. It was political and economic belief systems: Marxism/Leninism and Nazism that killed the most people in the 20th Century.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

Ah yes, let's talk about the spirituality of being a pure communist or capitalist. Without religion, there is no sense (other than a mental disorder) that there is existence of anything beyond your present life. When you die, it all ends for you. What type of moral sense does that inspire? Altruism or greed?

A good question.

I think such a view that life ends at death reminds one of how precious our time is here, and how valuable everything truly is. With this view, the value of things becomes immediately apparent, without the need for being coaxed into it with promises of divine reward and immortality. Lab rats also operate in such a fashion. By having a reward waiting at the end is only way they can get through the maze their placed within.

So what does a life with a promise of reward at the end imply about the one who holds it? Altruism or Greed?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

BayesLike

Ah yes, let's talk about the spirituality of being a pure communist or capitalist. Without religion, there is no sense (other than a mental disorder) that there is existence of anything beyond your present life. When you die, it all ends for you. What type of moral sense does that inspire? Altruism or greed?
edit on 215pm14America/Chicago07010kAmerica/Chicago by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

You can be very spiritual and symbiotic without small ego dualistic (i would even call them ego demonic) man made cultural boxed views. Removing religion do not mean falling into other small minded boxed system.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

NavyDoc

UltraverseMaximus

BayesLike

Just curious, since we would have all been better off, do tell me which religion started WWI and WWII? Which religion accounted for the deaths of over 100 million in the Soviet Union, China, and many other communist countries in the 20th century?

And I'm also curious as to what makes you think that, without religion, "right" would not be defined by might?

I never said we would have been better off but I did imply we will be better off now though. The issue is trying to blame a religion for these things in the first place. Many people that died were not fighting for the religion, however religions were the string pullers and money mongers behind the living guns (people).

Religions could be specified better as a system of beliefs one holds over another's.

For you final enquiry, I believe that I know right and wrong at the core level and almost always have since I was a child. I feel the texts outline ideas for the specific time and it has carried over to today reducing many personal freedoms through fear of so called sins.
I do not think people need these text books to define right or wrong, these are subjective and dependent on the culture of society and the times we live in.

I don't think religion is any more dangerous than any other belief system. It was political and economic belief systems: Marxism/Leninism and Nazism that killed the most people in the 20th Century.

You know you are right. It is all the superstition and fantasy tied into beliefs and morals that rot the meaning from the inside out. But with that said religions are the easy scape goat and people will use it as justification of their deeds.
I trace everything back to the root of the problem and religion was around before our civilisation evolved into what it is, based of religion as the foundation. What this tells me is people use it as a control system nothing more. If you understand cycles repeat, that should be all a person needs to know as to why civilisation get to a technological point and then wipe each other out. As long as people start realising what they kill and die for, I cant see why people cant believe in the tooth fairy as long as they keep that sh!t in their own house.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

BayesLike

edit on 215pm14America/Chicago07010kAmerica/Chicago by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

You can be very spiritual and symbiotic without small ego dualistic (i would even call them ego demonic) man made cultural boxed views. Removing religion do not mean falling into other small minded boxed system.

This is pretty spot on to me. I like the last bit, because the box is massive outside the small closed in ones that are readily on offer. Its like why travel the solar system when you can travel the multiverse right. In the mind of course.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Justifying things because of your religion is a tricky thing. If God justifies them it's no problem. But if you justify things because of your religion and God doesn't then you aren't really of any religion. Would a religion be a religion if it goes against the will of God? If it would approve things God wouldn't?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

"enjoying being alive" is because of certain morals.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I believe the unbeliever is controlled by religion. A religion should not restrict the psyche and should not prevent yourself of moving your body when needed. I find all who complain (if it is in fact complaining they do) that religion is controlling are ones who have no interest in it.

Everybody knows at least a little about the bible and the story of Lord Jesus (I can be wrong)

There might be a wrong view about Him. I believe the right way to consider Jesus is a bit as a warrior/Hero. Not one battling with an axe, but maybe spiritually He was/is (symbolically). It is more true to consider Him as a lion than a puppy you need to teach and can do anything with you like. It's more appropriate to see Him as mature than to see Him as a child.

Consider Him the dad who comes up to you who makes you crap your pants because you bullied his son that day.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

I believe the unbeliever is controlled by religion.

Elaborate on that point.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

They don't elaborate on why religion is controlling either.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

i think they say it's brainwashing.

christians are just programmed robots.

oh, and conservative.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

So in other words you don't have an explanation. Gotcha.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

You can brainwash anybody with anything.

(post by oktopus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Yup.
Yet his professed faith and actions are diametrically opposed to each other. If you actually believe that Adolph Hitler was Christian, more than in name only and for political gain, then you should read more.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

I remember reading in some biography that Himmler used the Hindu holy-book the Bhagavad Gita to help convince the SS to disassociate themselves from the barbaric acts they were committing. Apparently he carried it around in his pocket for just that purpose.

According to Genesis, we are dust. I could see how this principle could lead to atrocities.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join