It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mental health - took myself of my meds

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

edit on 3/9/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkingsenseless

You can always see things the following way; You have a bad eyesight and need glasses, but you weren't born with glasses, it's not the real you.

Will you wear them to have a better sight of the world, and of what you are doing in life?

The same will go with your medication. You can always go get another diagnostic if you feel it is not accurate. But if you feel there is something wrong, despite claiming to be your true self, have faith that people will be there to help you, not destroy you.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The main cause of depression is a crap life, too hard, too many problems, too much stress, too many knocks and things just generally turning out bad. You are not dead yet and have a few lessons about what you don't want, so smarten up and get what you do want.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

First of all I have not been diagnosed with any of these yet...right now trying to nail it down to what it is...

How could a doc put you on meds, without a diagnosis?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Right now they are treating me a manic depressive, as that is the believed diagnosis. They are exploring deeper, to see if there is anything else "going on" so I suppose its a partial diagnosis.
edit on 9-3-2014 by Walkingsenseless because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Restricted
reply to post by Sremmos80

If he is schizo, going off meds can be catastrophic. Bipolar and the rest are nothing to sneeze at either.

You are correct, as I said he should not go off cold turkey
How are you so sure that is the case? Your post are pointed towards the worst possible scenario with very very little info needed to jump to that very serious condition...
Based off the little info present schizo seemed very far down the list.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
A couple of years ago I had a friend take himself off his meds. He said he could think more clearly and never felt better. The next thing you know I'm getting a phone call from a family member telling me he commited suicide. Please talk to your doctor, get the right diagnosis and take whatever is prescribed. Just realize that with any meds, it is all trial and error. You need the right medicine at the right dosage for it to work well for you. I wish you all the best!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Walkingsenseless
reply to post by snowspirit

Right now they are treating me a manic depressive, as that is the believed diagnosis. They are exploring deeper, to see if there is anything else "going on" so I suppose its a partial diagnosis.
edit on 9-3-2014 by Walkingsenseless because: (no reason given)

How were things going for you before your diagnosis and treatment (medication)?
How well were you able to function in society, hold a job, interact with family and friends before treatment
compared to when you were diagnosed and medicated?

Have you discussed your decision to stop taking your meds with your family, friends or doctor?
If so what is there response?
If not, why?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

But I been of my meds for 3 days and my moods ate unbearable...

Sigh...I don't want to be a prescription junkie all my life

Any advice…thoughts

Kind of a impossible quandary, huh? You do realize that the meds don't cure you, they just bury the real you under a ton of drug stupor.

And you aren't happy that way either. I think you made the right choice, now just realize that your moods are only feelings.

You are going to have to deal with them sooner or later.

Let then wash over you, try not to react.

THEY ARE ONLY FEELINGS.

Drug, cigarette and alcohol addicted people have to deal with the same thing. First kick the habit, then deal with the feelings.

When I quit smoking after thirty five years I thought I was going to go nuts.

This is probably ostracized advice from an old man former junkie. Pay it no mind.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My suggestion is not the greatest advice.But Alcohol in moderation works good for me..

edit on 9-3-2014 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hello

I am about to link a Youtube video, created by Jannssen's Pharmaceutical company, that is a brief simulated psychotic episode in a patient with schizophrenia.

IT COMES WITH A TRIGGER WARNING! IF ANYBODY WHO WATCHES IT EXPERIENCES ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS PLEASE STOP WATCHING IT IMMEDIATELY OK!

I link it for several reasons.

1stly It may help the OP identify their actual malady.

2ndly It shows what a psychotic episode looks like.

3rdly It shows the effects of what can happen if one fails to take ones medication if one is a schizophrenic and I am sure the downsides are similar for any of the other mental health issues the OP highlighted.

I recommend the following ...

Do NOT take any medication without 1st consulting a Dr and a Pharmacist about its effects and its side effects and whether there are any contra indicated substance one must avoid.

Do NOT discontinue any medications without 1st consulting a Dr and a Pharmacist about the effects of going cold turkey.

As long as your condition is managed by yourself in consultation with your chosen medical professionals, THEN you and they are doing the best you all can to overcome your malady and I feel that is the most anyone can ask of you.

I wish the OP the best of luck and that they get well asap!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You should gradually go off the meds they talked you into taking or there can be some side effects. Depending on what the meds are, there are alternatives in diet to stabilize your mind. I control epilepsy pretty well with food, better than the drugs did. I still have it though, it is not cured, only treated. I am satisfied with this. Medicines don't cure it either, they treat it and the side effects sucked for me.

If you need calming foods or foods to moderate brain chemistry, I can tell you which may help. There are also herbs but I don't study those much YET, they are more potent and I haven't thoroughly studied the side effects of them. Lots of people know of herbs that control these things. I bet someone who knows the properties of these herbs already can help you better than I can.

Most pharmaceuticals are based on chemistry found in nature. But, it isn't exactly easy monitoring your mental condition. If the meds don't bother you, then I would take them. In my case, they kicked in some bad side effects because of my genetics.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Here's some advice, don't look for advice on ATS concerning such issues.

There can be dangers if you stop taking your medication, however, I have no idea your history, if you don't trust your doctor, you can always see another.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If you are going to do something as drastic as quit your meds, I would suggest that, with the guidance of some type of doctor, to go with some seriously heavy and specific doses of nutritional supplements. There are some websites that can give you a rough idea of how to do this.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
try proper diet , rest (regular sleep schedule ) , exercise - both physical and mental , meditate , find an interest / hobby to focus on , take a course or study an area of interest ..
If need limit contact with people to what is necessary .. all to often the meds will **** you up worse .. it would have been better to cut down and wean yourself off them rather than quitting cold..

Good luck and hope you find the answers your looking for.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Go watch movie Dr Jekkle and Mr Hyde and realise this is what people will have to put up with

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
As tempting as it maybe to just come off your meds. It's not the most sensible thing to do. You should always consult with your doctor over these things. They wouldn't have diagnosed the meds if they didn't think you needed them. To just come off them, can be dangerous to you and those around you. Consult with the doctor who prescribed this medication before coming off it yourself.

(post by chromiumbluesix removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Well I was in a similar position a while back. I didn't seek help. Instead I got worse everyday and I just ran, I dropped everything and ran away. What I did during that time was face my deepest darkest memories and nightmares, day by day I ran, anywhere was good enough and thankfully I had a few good friends who gave me shelter here and there. I didn't sleep properly, just moving everyday I soon found outrunning what I'd seen and done was pointless. So I did what I could. Face it. I'd no money for meds I needed so I faced it, just learned to deal with it slowly and accept the pain, slowly ever so slowly I fixed myself back up, through it all I refused help from psychiatrists and psychologists due to the fact that someone close to me had to see them and in the end she couldn't be saved by them or me.

What I'll say is seek help. I know it sounds hypocritical but if you accept the help it will save you the pain and torment I endured. You don't want to waste the chance, think about it please I implore you.
Otherwise good luck you're gonna need it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Yeah great tell a mentally ill person to read the bible.
When I worked in mental health the clergy used to come around to try and convert people, I had to deal with the aftermath and have a scar on my face due to it.
OP take your meds.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join