It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding Cell Phones a Growing Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is a growing problem as more and more cell phone are in use.Even if the percentage of explosions is very small, you would not want to be the one "holding the phone".

WASHINGTON - Curtis Sathre said it was like a bomb going off. His 13-year-old son Michael stood stunned, ears ringing, hand gushing blood after his cell phone exploded. Safety officials have received 83 reports of cell phones exploding or catching fire in the past two years, usually because of bad batteries or chargers.

www.newsmax.com...

Burns to the face, neck, leg and hip are among the dozens of injury reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission has received. The agency is providing tips for cell phone users to avoid such accidents and has stepped up oversight of the wireless industry. There have been three voluntary battery recalls, and the CPSC is working with companies to create better battery standards.

According to the article they are working on battery improvement and there have been some recalls.Manuactures also recommend buying phones and batteries from approved vendors to stop more accidents in the future.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Ya, I heard about this yesterday. I can't believe it is such a problem lately. Glad I never got one.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
these new batteries there making suck.so they can save a buck.make a safer battery.cell phones should never blow up or start a fire.poor kid that got hurt.if my phone did that i would sue the cell phone company and the battery maker.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I would never own a cell phone, except for emergencies. It is clear that this technology was rushed to the marketplace without sufficient research and development. What is a kid's hand or eyesight compared to a companies right to make obscene profits.
Manufacturers whose phones are blowing up should have to recall every one of that particular model and replace it free with a reengineered upgrade.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The more I think about it, the more I feel the cell phone manufacturers should be prosecuted as terrorists. If a middle eastern looking man gave one of these phones to somebody, and it exploded on him, you can bet the poor mid eastern man would be prosecuted as a terrorist. If a mid eastern mad had a cell phone explode while he was on a plane, you can bet he would be in GITMO for the rest of his life.

[edit on 11-24-2004 by groingrinder]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm not a 100% sure,

But i believe the exploding cell phones are due to the battery being a lithium ion type. This type of battery allows people to keep their cell phones on the charger for prolong periods of time without comprising the cells like Ni-Cad batteries do.

Which is why people always ask me why their cordless phone battery only lasts 30mins before it starts beeping asking to be recharged. Ni-cad cells become weaken when they're not fully discharged followed by a full charge, letting it sit on the charger will damage the cells.

Otherwise i have no idea why the Lithium ion batteries blow up or if they're the reason to begin with.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
One more reason to hate the evil things!
I was going to post a new thread but there is already one with this topic:

Exploding Cell Phones

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Ya, I heard about this yesterday. I can't believe it is such a problem lately. Glad I never got one.

So now exactly how are you walking around without a tracking chip? Are you trying to say you don't get lost and nothing bad happens?

Tiny brain killers, that no one needs.

join