It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roundabout Intersections

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Roundabouts are becoming more common in the US. With all the infrastructure issues, why are we installing "roundabouts". This isn't a rant about the pros and cons, but it would be easy to argue that 6 million is way over the top:

www.andersonvalleypost.com...

Its the location of this roundabout that makes me ask the question.

I live in Anderson California with a population of about 10,000. We just got our very own roundabout.

Its probably just a coincidence that our roundabout is in such a strategic location. Its, on the outskirts of town, next to California's main freeway (I-5) the main pacific railway, empty mill, our main food supply (walmart), and its where most of the back roads reach the freeway. It also, has a hill in the middle of it, so you cant see around it, that happens to be the perfect size for a guard shack. (I know Im thinking too hard lol)

If I were to pick a location, that would give me immediate control over people getting into the back woods, or sorting out the population for transport. This would be "the location". It would also be a perfect place to shut down the north bound !-5, because there are so few off ramps, south of this location. And the freeway makes a wide swing around a hill, that would keep you from knowing this was ahead, until there was no escape.

The newspaper clipping above says its part of a grant for "Corridor Mobility Improvement". Believe me when I tell you this doesn't add one little measure to improve any freeway mobility. Most of the locals hate it. Its confusing, you cant see around it. It really sucks. Are they roundabouts or "round-us-ups"?

Im just wondering are these being installed where you live? And are they in such "strategic" locations? Ive probably read a few too many ATS conspiracy threads, lol.

Text

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Visit Sedona, AZ..their are a billion roundabouts and they are all in locations that make sense from an engineering perspective.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't really see anything sinister here at all and am actually surprised they didn't start using them to replace 3-way, 4-way, and 5-way stop intersections a long time ago. I love them! If no one's coming you can just go.

edit on 3/9/2014 by ~Lucidity because: typo...grrr

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You wait, mate.
check out this beauty that livened up my days as a courier in Swindon.

magic roundabout

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Roundabouts are simple, people on your right have right of way and stay in your lane. Not really rocket science, we have them everywhere in the UK always have they just need to be used properly though a lot of highway planners dont seem to understand when to use a traffic light controlled cross roads instead of a round about or vice versa.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Another reason they use roundabouts in certain locations is to keep tractor trailers from going that way. If it's near a freeway I'm willing to bet that's why.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

Might be perfect size for a guard shack but some half a sleep guy in a 3 ton SUV doing 40-50 and the shack and the guy will be flatter than a pancake

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There is a big surge in roundabouts. In fact, any new or "improved" intersection project is at least considered for a roundabout. The reasons are many but include a smaller footprint than a ground hog like a full cloverleaf, less need for traffic signals, and greater traffic throughput (though if you've ever been in rush hour in England you may not think that is possible.)

At first there was some resistance, but as drivers get used to them that has pretty much faded away. I will say that sometimes the enthusiasm for roundabouts is so great that they are put in less-useful places, such as a very small intersection where the traffic circle hardly has a chance to get started. The one closest to me is a problem in that regard.

The rest of the world has had them for a very long time.
edit on 3/9/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I live in a city which is famous for it's roundabouts, you can get to any point in the city within 15 minutes, traffic depending.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
our main street has 3 roundabouts our town has about 15 - 20.

Not hard to use its quite convenient

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

All over America, many in Florida, California and many other heavily traveled areas of the country. Recently, many put in place from Wayne County Mi to Washtenaw County Mi between the areas of Canton Mi-Eastern Mi University-to University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The areas involve many medical centers like Veterans Hosp-St Joes, U of M Hosp, Chelsea, Saline....

I thought I'd mention these ....because? They are all on a back-road (Huron River Drive)...a heavily traveled country road to get to all those places without taking freeways or main-primary roads.

They really do provide non-stopping flow of traffic.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Agreeing with everyone here. Aren't we tired of traffic lights?

Aren't we tired of sitting forever at an empty intersection idling and idling for no particular friggin reason for a light that is on timer and refuses to change and just let us on our damn way?

grrr…

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

intrptr
Agreeing with everyone here. Aren't we tired of traffic lights?

Aren't we tired of sitting forever at an empty intersection idling and idling for no particular friggin reason for a light that is on timer and refuses to change and just let us on our damn way?

grrr…

Agree, plus the fact that traffic light intersections cost a heck of a lot more to build and maintain. Roundabouts are just cheaper. The reason they are becoming more prevalent is a simple matter of economics.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Roundabouts are just cheaper. The reason they are becoming more prevalent is a simple matter of economics.

Um hmm, thank you. The reason they took so long with the changeover is probably because the oil companies. I forget the statistic about the (wa$ted) millions of barrels idling at intersections.

Anything to maximize profits, eh Exxon?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They want to put a roundabout in Ishpeming Michigan. What a joke. The plow drivers hate them in this neck of the woods. They are worse when the roads are icy, not better. I think some of the people in charge around here are a little crazy. They do not listen to the people actually clearing the snow nor do they listen to the police that are going to accidents at these locations. They have one ten miles from here, and I avoid it like the plague in the winter. I bet because everyone avoids it and goes other ways they now have less accidents. Think about that, their figures are being distorted because they caused a change that makes people stay away...looks safer on paper anyway.

I suppose the people desiring this will use the evidence that has been distorted to push this as safer. It is not so easy to avoid the Ishpeming roundabout. The accidents will be increasing if they put it in. It is about making us afraid of the government, if we question their actions they will put in a roundabout as a punishment.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Roundabouts are very convenient, if you're smart enough to use them. The US seems to be mentally handicapped that way.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Having lived there, (I escaped) I can say, what the heck were they thinking? Extremely dumb move on their part. It is like when Redding put the one on Old Alturas. No one ever follows the rules at that one, i have had to wait 8 or more cars before being able to get through, because no one yields or treats it like a four way stop sign.

The local government is steep in their own corruption, I am not sure they would be working with with outside government to do anything sinister as not to bring attention to what goes own there.
edit on 9-3-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I didn't know roundabouts have begun to exist in the US!
I discovered them when I moved to Europe, and I am a fan. They are better than the intersection with lights system.
It might take some getting used to at first, but I think you'll find it is more effective.
I don't quite understand your suspicions, obviously.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Roundabouts may be more expensive initially, but they cost next to nothing to maintain.

I love the 2 near me, mostly because I'm a major hoon and any chance to flog my M3 is taken.

Great place to practice car control and drifting.

And since the speed limit 20mph sign is yellow, they can't cite you for speeding.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If there is a conspiracy here, it's not to block people, but to make America more like Europe (which I support).
Just like Obama getting rid of Pontiac (muscle cars) and getting Fiat to run Chrysler seems to be an obvious move in that direction.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join