It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a Secret Society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
We all post information about "Secret Societies", but surely once the organisation is known of, and people are aware and believe in it's existance then surely it is not longer a secret society, but merely a society with secrets?

What is the definition of a secret society, or should we ask to re-name the section "previously secret societies"

Has there been any revelations from this forum. Has anyone come up with anything brand new, that no one else knows about and then proven it.

All I have seen is thread about the same old stuff you find every where,

the Illuminati, Freemasons, Bildebergs etc are trying to taking over the world.

NWO do they don't they exist.

Same old arguments. Wheres the jaw dropping, shock horror
, news

Why have such a large group of people not found anything new, is there anything new, or are we just chasing our tales after urban myth, legends and fables of groups and groups intentions that don't really exist.

Don't tell me, that's what they want us to think

[edit on 24/11/2004 by Bondi]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A truly secret society, if one does exist would not be known about at all. Members of this society would only do subtle things to reach their goal (no one person in the group would do much at all) so as to avoid suspicion.

For example say there was a society dedicated to replacing all spoons with sporks(pretty lame example i know) then a single member of the society would take a drawer of spoons and replace them with sporks. None of the society would buy spoon factories and turn them into spork factories but they may persuade someone outside the society to do it.

So if a truly secret society does exist you will have to be a member to find out. Also the society would remain small because only the members family will join, no one who wasn't part of the founding families/organizations would be able to join.

once again i apologize for my lame explanation sorry guys

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well, that really depends on your views of what part should be secret. Its very existance? Or its methods, aims, and goals? For a very long time, the Masons were a secret society. Everyone knew they existed, but their rites, initiations, and goals were all kept very secret. Membership was like becoming an upper-echelon member of society, and had merits. Wear a Masonic ring, and you get preferential treatment. If the Masons liked you, life would transparently go well, if they didn't, it would transparently go bad. Anyone outside the Masons could tell you that they existed, and even knew members, but would be hard-pressed to come up with a single accurate statement about what they do in their meetings. Since about 10-20 years ago, such has not been the case. The Masons are an open and inviting group, and there are very few secrets any more. 32nd level Masons have happily talked at length about the society, with me, in person. You can purchase their whole history and book of rites for a nominal donation or fee.

Were they, then, a secret society? At the time, yes. Just because we know they exist, doesn't mean we know what they do, or what they are about. Only time and investigation defrays that.

The CIA, by definition, is a secret society. We know they exist. We probably even know someone who works for them, but they never talk about their work. Defense Contractors are secret societies, in that they develop stuff we won't see for 50 years, and aren't allowed to talk too much about their work. Corporate R&D departments are secret societies, because they don't want competitors stealing their work. Even college fraternities often act as secret societies, though their goals are less oriented towards creation, and more in line with producing mischief or providing a forum for minors to experience illegal pleasures, or simply to get laid.

So... the answer is, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Secret Society." But not like the old feudal days where men in dark robes meet in secret passages and chant mantras to some elder god and slay innocents... Well, actually, there are, but they're more along the line of freakish cults or smuggling rings, and are more in line with criminal activity or terrorism than any tangible goal or aim.

A secret society will typically be working towards a greater goal involving the creation of something, be it a New World Order, or a Shiny New Fighter Jet. They hide in the open, look just like you and me, and aren't neccesarily good or evil. They're just doing a job that they aren't at liberty to talk about.

Now, as for the kind that no one knows exist... all we can do is speculate until it is uncovered. I personally think I've found something, but it may have died out long enough ago that I'm chasing fossils. It makes for a fascinating hobby, but to discuss it openly would be a ridiculous idea if you wished to discover its true nature, because they would immediately go into hiding. If the Illuminati ever existed in the modern world, you can bet that as soon as the fictional works by Shae and Wilson were produced, they changed their name, tactics, and made themselves invisible once more.

In any event, yes, I do believe in secret societies, because they obviously exist. You need look no further than the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and General Dynamics, to find them. Do I believe there are societies out there that no one knows about? Sure, the evidence is overwhelming in the form of crime rings, drug cartels, and pirates (sea and internet born) groups that do not give a calling card.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
But using the phrase Secret Society, would that not denote a soceity who's existence is secret. Where as the organisationthey we all know about, and which you have mentioned a few, are they not then societies with secrets?

A bit of a play on words I know, and a little evasive maybe, but i was interested on what people conceive to be a secret society to give me a better understanding of the posts here.

I would imagine any organisation keeps it's particulars to intself, not necessarily to keep it secret, but more because it is not necessarily any one outside the group/organisation/fraternity/companies even, concern or business.

I suppose you could say it's a need to know basis, if you don't need to know it, your not told it.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bondi
But using the phrase Secret Society, would that not denote a soceity who's existence is secret. Where as the organisationthey we all know about, and which you have mentioned a few, are they not then societies with secrets?

A bit of a play on words I know, and a little evasive maybe, but i was interested on what people conceive to be a secret society to give me a better understanding of the posts here.

I would imagine any organisation keeps it's particulars to intself, not necessarily to keep it secret, but more because it is not necessarily any one outside the group/organisation/fraternity/companies even, concern or business.

I suppose you could say it's a need to know basis, if you don't need to know it, your not told it.

The definition of a secret society should be defined as either
a) a society no-one apart from its members know about
b) a society that people know about but no-one apart from it's members knows its goals and aims

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Definition of a secret society--Yes it is a copy and paste,however the question was what is a Secret Society

"A secret society is a club or organization whose members do not disclose their membership, and may be sworn to hold it secret. The term is sometimes also used to describe fraternal organizations which may have secret ceremonies.

Secret societies are often the subject of much suspicion and speculation from non-members, and often feature in conspiracy theories.

Secret societies are illegal in several countries. In the European Union, Poland has made the ban a part of its constitution. Article 13 of the Constitution of the Republic of Poland states:

"Political parties and other organizations whose programmes are based upon totalitarian methods and the modes of activity of nazism, fascism and communism, as well as those whose programmes or activities sanction racial or national hatred, the application of violence for the purpose of obtaining power or to influence the State policy, or provide for the secrecy of their own structure or membership, shall be prohibited."
Some--though certainly not all--secret societies may strive for secrecy for reasons of illegal activity."

en.wikipedia.org...

--Here is a list of known Secret Societies (Of course by being known, they aren't to secret are they)

Secret societies

Angelic Society
Adelfi
Bella Constantina
Bilderberg Group
Bishop James Madison Society (College of William and Mary)
Brotherhood of the Snake
Brotherhood of the Golden Dagger (Rutgers University)
Cambridge Apostles
Camorra
Carbonari
Dragon Rouge
Edennisti
Eight Letters
Episkopon (www.episkopon.com...) (University of Trinity College)
European Patriots
F.H.C. Society
Fenian Brotherhood
Filadelfi
Four Colours (secret society)
Germanenorden
Hellenists
House of Flying Daggers
Illuminati
Iron Arrow Honor Society
Know-Nothings
League of Outlaws
League of the Just
League of the Holy Court
Mafia
Mau Mau
Michigamua
Mountain (West Virginia University)
Narodnik
Order of DeMolay
Order of the Solar Temple
Order of the Bull's Blood (Rutgers University)
Order of the Gimghoul
Ordo Templi Orientis
Owl Society (University of Pennsylvania)
Perfect Masons
Quill and Dagger (Cornell University)
Red Lotus Society
Rosicrucians
Round table groups
Scroll and Key (Yale University)
Secret Society of the Seven
Seven Society
Sect of Five
Seven Letters
Shirtless Ones
Skull and Bones (Yale University)
Sociedad secreta Abaku�
Speculative Society
Sublime Perfect Masters
Sword and Serpent (Rutgers University)
Society of Harmonious Fists
Society of the Seasons
Society of the Venerable Souls in Purgatory
Supreme Masters
St. John the Baptist (secret society)
Tabard (University of Pennsylvania)
Theos (University of Pennsylvania)
The School of Night
The Woolcombers' Union
Sicari
The Central Tomb
The Machine (University of Alabama)
The Men of Decision
The Men of the Dagger
The Onion (secret society)
Three Colours (secret society)
Tong (secret society)
Tonton Macoute
Triad
Trilateral Commission
Tugendbund
Unnamed Ones
Vihan Veljet
Walhalla-orden
White Lotus Society
White Pilgrims
Yakuza
Many secret societies have been established on university campuses[1] (mill-valley.freemasonry.biz...), including, most notably, Skull and Bones (1832) at Yale University, the Order of the Bull's Blood (1834) at Rutgers University and the Bishop James Madison Society (1812) at The College of William & Mary. The first collegiate secret society was the FHC Club (1750), followed by Phi Beta Kappa (1776), both founded at William & Mary. William & Mary's early exposure to secret societies allowed these types of organizations to flourish there. It now serves as host to at least five, including the 7 Society, the 13 Club, the Alpha Club, the FHC, and the Bishop James Madison Society.

Formerly secret or semi-secret societies:
AMORC: Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis
Bilderberg Group
Confraternity of the Rose Cross
Freemasonry (membership hasn't been strictly secret since the late 20th century)
FUDOFSI
FUDOSI
Ku Klux Klan
Order Militia Crucifera Evangelica
Phi Beta Kappa (began as a secret society, but eliminated secrecy in 1831)
Technocracy

Alleged secret societies
Priory of Sion
Kom'Royza

Fictional secret societies
Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword in Steven Spielberg's film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Cabal, in the works of Robert A. Heinlein
The Central Anarchist Council in G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday
The Committee to Unelect the Patrician in Discworld (parodies the Committee to Re-elect the President)
Darkfriends, in Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
The Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night in Discworld
Harpers, in the Forgotten Realms Dungeons & Dragons game setting
The Millennium Group, a law enforcement consulting firm and centuries old quasi-cult based upon Judeo-Christian "End Time" prophecies in the Millennium television series.
S.P.E.C.T.R.E., in the works of Ian Fleming
Order of the Phoenix, in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series
The Stonecutters, from The Simpsons
Second Foundation, in The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov

External links
A Survey of Secret Societies (mill-valley.freemasonry.biz...)

BTW- each of the societies listed above, has a link, however not all links will take you to information about the society. Some are blank pages, apparently waiting for someone to fill in the definition for that society

[edit on 25-11-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Be wary of ancient secret socities that hold influence or power, for if they were any good, they would not be secret and nor would they have anything to hide.

I often see these socieites like Masons and Skull and Bones claim they are elitist socieites for rationalists, philosophers and highly intelligent people. When in fact, if one looks beyond the surface of their brainwashing and advertising, you find they have links to uber-rich satanical cults, that are deeply involved in state and world affairs.

And we know exactly what is happening in the world, and these people are involved in it that claim to be highly enlightened and illuminated, that are involved in shadow networking rings, and help each other. This is why they keep it secret, folks, don't buy into their propaganda.

Sure, it is "cool" to be in a club, and if you want to be in a club of intelligent people, join an open high IQ society not these satanical cults, that are wolves in sheeps clothings.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
I often see these socieites like Masons...claim they are elitist socieites

I would be interested to see these quotes and their sources.

Originally posted by Indigo_Childtheir brainwashing and advertising,

Do you know what techniques they use? Or an example of their advertiseing campaigns as I have never seen one in the UK.

Originally posted by Indigo_Childfind they have links to uber-rich satanical cults, that are deeply involved in state and world affairs.

Which ones? or is it just one, as I don't know of any satanical org that actually gets on with another. I re-state I do not know of any before anyone has ago.

Originally posted by Indigo_Child This is why they keep it secret,

Does this mean that ATS are involved. They have a committee section that you can't access unless your a member. Could be a comitte keeping an eye on the revelations made here

Originally posted by Indigo_Child if you want to be in a club of intelligent people, join an open high IQ society not these satanical cults, that are wolves in sheeps clothings.

Wouldn't these satanical cults claiming high intellegine infiltrate such hi IQ societies in order to assist in it's recruitment policies. I believe the Illuminati have been accussed of attaining seats on the committees of the highest ranking colleges. Didn't Skull and Bones begin at Yale.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I would be interested to see these quotes and their sources.

I often see these socieites like Masons and Skull and Bones claim they are elitist socieites for rationalists, philosophers and highly intelligent people.

The advertising is the "elite status"

Which ones? or is it just one, as I don't know of any satanical org that actually gets on with another. I re-state I do not know of any before anyone has ago.

Well, look at the elite ruling class of the US, they are either Masons or Skull and Bones. So they are interelated. I could expound on this further, but I am afraid I am not qualified in secret societies, as they are.....secret.

Does this mean that ATS are involved. They have a committee section that you can't access unless your a member. Could be a comitte keeping an eye on the revelations made here

Had you read that I specified in the beginning of my post, that I was referring to secret socities that have power and influence and involved in state and world affairs.

Wouldn't these satanical cults claiming high intellegine infiltrate such hi IQ societies in order to assist in it's recruitment policies. I believe the Illuminati have been accussed of attaining seats on the committees of the highest ranking colleges. Didn't Skull and Bones begin at Yale.

The highest members of these societies are chosen by blood, not virtue. A an IQ society's actions are open, and membership critera is the same for all, and nor are high IQ societies controlling the world.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I see that The Round Table has been mentioned as a secret society, i thought they did good works for charity along the same lines as Masons are supposed to.

Please ignore the above.
Sorry i was thinking of the Rotary Club

[edit on 26-11-2004 by Janus]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
like Masons and Skull and Bones claim they are elitist socieites for rationalists, philosophers and highly intelligent people.

The advertising is the "elite status"

I have never seen such phrasing regarding masons and freemasonry, where is it from?

Originally posted by Indigo_ChildWell, look at the elite ruling class of the US, they are either Masons or Skull and Bones. So they are interelated. I could expound on this further, but I am afraid I am not qualified in secret societies, as they are.....secret.

Not American so wouldn't have a clue about that, but don't you vote for these people?

Originally posted by Indigo_ChildHad you read that I specified in the beginning of my post, that I was referring to secret socities that have power and influence and involved in state and world affairs.

The smiley on the end denoted it as a joke, I wasn't being serious, although I don't know the founders of the site, or what circles they move in so you never know. Censorship can be classed as elitism can't it]
, deciding what can and can't be read.

Originally posted by Indigo_ChildThe highest members of these societies are chosen by blood, not virtue. A an IQ society's actions are open, and membership critera is the same for all, and nor are high IQ societies controlling the world.

Didn't mean it like that, I meant if they were truly hell bent on dominating the world they would need to have the smartest and most influential members. High ranking may be denoted by blood but surely they would recruit those of high intellect. I have two brothers and I would trust either of them to have the intellect to tie their own shoe laces, so relying on blood lines would be a downfall surely.

As with alot of posts here, all about world domination etc most never touch outside the US. For world domination they would have to be outside the states as well, but there isn't much mention of it
Why is that.

[edit on 29/11/2004 by Bondi]

new topics

top topics

join