It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know of Any Bird Omens?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This very strange thing happened to me in the middle of the night and now I'm turning to you for answers.
I would like to know if anyone can identify the type of bird in the linked video and more importantly if anyone can offer any possible meaning for the experience.

This Little Birdy...

So last night I was pulling another all-nighter as I worked on my app. (Which happens to be about a bird and no it isn't a Flappy Bird clone.) I went outside around 1:30am for a smoke and while I was smoking and clearing my head to tackle a particularly challenging bug in my software I saw something swooping around like a dead leaf in the night sky. No tree close enough, not much wind and in the middle of the street in the middle of the city, so I was a bit perplexed as to what was swooping towards me. It was dark and my eyes aren't the best so I still didn't know what it was when I reached out to let it fall onto my hand and then suddenly I realized that a bird had landed right in the palm of my hand.

Cautious at first, I inspected it from all angles to see if it was injured or showed signs of disease. It kept me in it's sight as I moved my hand around and checked all the angles. It seemed very alert and yet extremely calm so I reached out to pet it on the head. Not a flinch.. seemed to enjoy it actually. After I made the video and the initial novelty had worn off I attempted to place it on the ground to which it seemed to nestle down deeper into my palm in an effort to resist. It then dawned on me that if it was unable or unwilling to fly it would make easy prey on the ground at night so I decided to leave it on my windowsill before I headed inside. It resisted.. flapped and hopped back onto my hand at first but I managed to place him gently. At that point a passerby down the street must have thought it suspicious to see someone reaching to a window in the middle of the night and they called out to me. So I explained what must have sounded like a ridiculous story but they weren't close enough to see the bird and I'm assuming they went along their way and dialed the police.

I went inside to get back to work but after a half hour or so I realized it was chirping out on the windowsill still. Taking a pinch of seed with me I headed back outside to tend to my new friend. As I approached it stopped chirping and turned to face me. I talked to and pet it a couple more times and then attempted to place the seed on the sill next to it when suddenly it shot off into the dark like a rocket, leaving behind a tiny poop on my sill. I turned around with an amused smile on my face to see two cop cars pulling up to greet me. I was at a loss for words how I could explain such an unbelievable story without striking their ire so I immediately played the video on my phone for the officer who approached me. After IDing me they were on their way and I was left to wonder about all that transpired.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is simply amazing.

I really don't know of any omens or significance other than knowing that birds are of great sigificance in many cultures and beliefs and that there is a connection with members of my family passing and robins. Is anyone close to you who is ill or has recently passed?

Are you worried or in need of reassurance about anything?

ETA: What part of the country are you in...trying to figure out what kind of bird it is. Looks like maybe a titmouse, but I'm not sure.
edit on 3/8/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There are some new birds around here that catch bugs at night, I don't know what they are called. I looked them up, they are about the same size as the one you have in the video. I couldn't confirm the birds because I did not see them up close, but the one I suspect flys around at night but only when there is a little light available. They are not nocturnal but can see in and around outside lighted areas, they don't need a lot of light.

On a different issue, I had a hummingbird land on my shoulder to rest for a few moments two or three years back. That long narrow beak looks like a weapon though when it is on your shoulder. I moved to chase him away before he tried to get nectar out of my ear....scarey feeling. At least he didn't poop on my shirt.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Things are actually pretty positive aside from my day job. No one is ill that I know of. I'm mostly curious because of how intently that bird was focused on me it just somehow seemed to imply it had a message for me.

Vancouver B.C. Canada
edit on 8-3-2014 by Rineocerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rineocerous

Found this tidbit you might be interested in reading. It will give you a different view of what to think:

Birds as divine messengers

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Hummingbirds signify lightness and joy and adaptability.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Dark-eyed Junco?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

~Lucidity
reply to post by rickymouse

Hummingbirds signify lightness and joy and adaptability.

It was checking out my ear....I would rather use a q tip to get the wax out myself.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Rineocerous
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Things are actually pretty positive aside from my day job. No one is ill that I know of. I'm mostly curious because of how intently that bird was focused on me it just somehow seemed to imply it had a message for me.

Vancouver B.C. Canada
edit on 8-3-2014 by Rineocerous because: (no reason given)

Hmmm...well maybe the message will become clearer in the next few days. Maybe he/she just wanted to say hi or needed to feel protected for a minute

Could this be him/her? birdvancouver.com...

Naw...wrong colors, I think. Some sort of sparrow maybe though. That video was way cool. Made my night. Thanks for posting it.

Maybe a swamp sparrow... lots of pics
edit on 3/8/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Blue jay is good luck & a Crow is death from what ive heard.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
www.allaboutbirds.org...
i think...boreal chicadee.. immature

most chickadees will eat from your hand
im guessing he/she has been hand fed before and thought you might have a nice light snack

owls can signify death will come to someone close to you
a family or a friend or even a relationship
edit on 8-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rineocerous

What a neat experience!

Has anyone identified what type of bird that is yet?

I would like to know as well, and then I will go see if I can find it somewhere as an animal totem or guide.
I have a thread on this here:
Spirit Animal Guides, Mine is Raven, what is yours?

The thread starts out with my experience with ravens, but then a lot of other people also have these experiences as well, you might find the thread of interest since you feel there was something special about the encounter, I can relate.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Cute bird. Looks like some type of Sparrow? Maybe you can google Sparrow omens. I threw my omens book away because stupid (not you, me). I wish I still had it so I could help you out.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

BABYBULL24
Dark-eyed Junco?

That's what it looks like to me as well. What a sweet little bird. You are so lucky he let you hold him.

Here's your vid.

Never mind. I don't usually have problems embedding vids. This one is tricky I guess.
edit on 8-3-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
You guys might be about dark eyed junco. A junco's wisdom includes interspecies communication, diversity, survival abilities. Some people think they are a sign of snow.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've been followed by owl's for the past 6 years. It all started with an incidence where I saw an owl fly past me, then disappear and fly right past me again in the same exact place. No, there was not two owls. I hoo to them, and they hoo back. Quite literally, we psychically sense each other.

I once had a butterfly land directly on my pointer finger when I was in the middle of describing a spiritual philosophy of mine.

The barriers between human and nature are dwindling away, we are nature. We come from nature. We are certainly part of nature. We are all connected, quite literally, and if I had to guess this little bird was here to remind you of that in some way or another.

Beautiful experience you we're able to have, my friend.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

Thank you. I'll read this a little later.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

It's a female House Finch.

They represent contentment, and happiness.

Moral of the story...

Having surveillance footage of yourself, and being the custodian of it, to exonerate one's self to the authorities brings happiness and contentment.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 9-3-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I'm not sure about omens other than owls being almost universally heralds of death.
But I do know a bit about birds and some of their behaviors. That little fellow was probably settled comfortably into his/her roost for the night when some sort of predator---cat, raccoon, etc.---appeared to disrupt his/her sleep. Since it's probably not a nocturnal bird it was a bit confused, just looking for a spot to light and get oriented.
We've had several experiences with the swifts that live in our chimney in summer. They manage to make their way down the chimney and into the house. They are very difficult to catch but once they're caught they don't struggle, just settle into your hand. And even when taken outdoors, if it is nighttime---which is the most common time that they get into the house---they cling to your hand until they are tossed into the air.
Your little friend doesn't appear to be a swift but it seems entirely possible that he/she was simply disturbed out of sleep and was disoriented by the sudden awakening. I've seen critters do some pretty amazing things on being awakened suddenly.
It's an awe-inspiring thing to have such a fragile creature decide to trust you isn't it?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Nope, different markings. Looks like a dark eyed junco.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join