It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enter Utopia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The following was from a transcript for a High School tour of the new facility - it has not been altered, shaped, or formed in any way or form.

"Attention Children! You there, sitting at the back of the bus, can you hear me as well? Great!".

"Hello everyone - My name is Goldstein O'Brien; you may call me Gold for short **Forced Laughter**. Before we begin on this journey, I want to lay down a few ground rules. First of all, please do not open the windows; nor should you stick any part of you out of them, as construction on the new facility is just now coming to a close. Around lunch, I will be giving you a tour, to show you what the prisoners will be seeing and experiencing. You will be able to get out and explore a little, maybe we will see the art before it's walled up, eh? Also, pay attention to the guards present on this journey - they are here in the event that something goes wrong, as much of this facility does not have security cameras of any sort, and the neighborhood we have just passed is quite unsafe."

"Now then, how many of you already know the story of this place? **few hands raise** tut, tut, that won't do at all! Let me begin - In the year 2016, prisons and security centers were overrun with extremely dangerous criminals. The streets were so unsafe in some communities, that people had to carry guns just to buy groceries in the stores, and had to stay up all night to keep from having people break in. Keeping this scum of the earth alive took a toll on taxpayer money and resources; it was starting to become easier to kill them than to keep them alive for the rest of their term. Well, A scientist named Orr came up with a brilliant solution, back in 1984: Why not place them all in one location, with no-one but themselves for company? It's amazing to see that it's actually coming alive here now, in 2018"

"Look out your window children - What you are seeing is the outside perimeter of the very first G.C. Project; Project Utopia. This wall is made of steel and concrete, 1 mile thick, almost half a mile high, patrolled by armed soldiers, with only one entrance and one exit: This road. It'll get dark for a couple minutes, so please don't make me do a hand check **Laughter from kids**...Anyway, as you can see, now that we've passed this, on the inside is a flat, sterile wasteland, a circle 8 miles thick. This is known as the 'no-mans' land, as anyone caught in this circle will pretty much die."

"If you all look ahead - see that structure? The one that towers in the middle, like a giant bulls-eye? That, my comrades, is Utopia; the first city in the world to house the most violent criminals, with only the condition that they may never leave. These criminals will have free reign of the city - no police to stop them, no-one to prevent them from stealing, looting, or killing; the only condition is that they may never enter the dead-mans zone. Several name brand companies (Flat-TVs Inc, Gamer-Electronics & Co, etc), have offered several of their main products to be used inside this community alone, all for their use - electricity will be provided cheaply."

"**horrified looks from kids** Now, now, now - Don't look at me like that! Here's the real reason why this community is so unique. Considerable planning was made into the buildings you see - This city was designed to keep crime in, not let it out. According to Orr's theory of criminal behavior, the reason that crime run's rampart in some communities is because they have a lot to offer; the same rich people continue to buy expensive products, which incites more criminals to try and take it; it becomes a way of life for them. In Utopia, the criminals will be given a limited number of goods - goods that will be shipped in on occasion. There will be beer, drugs, flatscreen TV's, video games, all in a limited quantity. I imagine some of the criminals will be living the high life in their own apartments."

"Just by doing this, we already will have half of society's problems resolved - Seeing as you cannot change a person, these places will allow these criminals to play out their fantasies on fellow criminals, instead of the good people in society. It is expected that the number of people alive in Utopia will continue to decrease, even after more people are brought in. Why? Because when violent persons are crammed into a roughly 2 miles diameter cylinder, with little food and water, they will turn on each other. In doing so, the population continues to decline, until a couple have everything."

"The sad truth of it, children, is that the people lucky enough to want to come to Utopia won't realize the truth, until they are forever locked inside its vast interior: This place is a Necropolis; Once they are inside, they will most likely die. The government won't tell you this, for human right's activists will call them out on it, despite this making it safer for society. The Judge that sentences you to this place will not tell you the truth, for it would be better to beg for the chair than suffer in this place. This is only the first children - this place we're in now? Used to be one of the finest towns out there...And now, the town's name will be known as Michigan's Utopia, next to the polluted river, across from Canada...Now that you've had your history lesson, who wants to explore?"

The following article snippet is from the Utopian Free Press, 6 years after the initial Utopia project began

Today, the last remaining wall of the first known Utopia Project, located where Detroit used to sit, has been torn down.

As everyone knows, the Utopian Project was designed to make surrounding neighborhoods safer, by keeping all of the crime rooted in one location. Once it was started in late 2018, the amount of crime dropped by 85% in Lower Michigan alone. Other Utopian projects, located in Chicago, Flint, and several cities across the Midwest noticed similar crime dropoffs.

The projects met a downfall when word leaked out that these were meant to make criminals suffer - One survivor described the barbaric treatment he was subjected to while behind the walls.

"At first, I thought this was paradise - You know? I didn't have to keep my morals...And then it became unsafe. My arm was broken on day 5, leg day 6. Blood ran in the streets, and bodies were piled about. Rats would attack you in the open; they never feared anyone in them days"

When hazmat and rescue crews entered the scene, many fainted due to the foul odors & sights that leeched out of the open. "It would take a could hundred horror films to wipe this from my brain" one worker compared. Even with the last wall being demolished, environmentalists have stated that it could take 10 years for the site to be inhabitable again. Many contractors are looking to build around the site again in the year 2056, and will build a plaque to honor those victims that died in Utopia. This goes against the recommendations of several psychics, who claim that any building on that site will be cursed. For more on predictions by psychics that failed to become fact, turn to page 87...

-fossilera

PS: Meant to be read as a horror or dystopian story. It's based on a dream I've had, due to watching too much of The Matrix and The Island.
edit on 8/3/2014 by fossilera because: dyslexia

edit on 8/3/2014 by fossilera because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

Okay.

Haven't read it yet but... GOLDSTEIN O'BRIEN!

HA!

okay, I shall continue.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

Okay.

Haven't read it yet but... GOLDSTEIN O'BRIEN!

HA!

okay, I shall continue.

Aw, I was hoping no-one would catch onto that little snippet - Read a bit deeper, and you'll find several more little things only someone on here would pick up on.

This medal is for being the first to find.

-fos

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

That was an awesome story, truly. Reminds me of Batman: Arkham City. This would make an awesome premise for a tabletop RPG game.

Thanks for sharing.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Thank you, I shall wear it proudly.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

That was an awesome story, truly. Reminds me of Batman: Arkham City. This would make an awesome premise for a tabletop RPG game.

Thanks for sharing.

Kallisti

I hid a reference regarding Batman in the above as well
. As for an RPG, I don't think it would work out so well, as there's already several of a similar nature.

What I have considered though, is making this part of a plot to a larger story, or a key element in a larger tale itself. This is only a revised form, to fit within the posting constraints - Original had a transcript found in the ruins of Utopia, when archeologists farther in the future were digging it out - it's also carries a darker tone, as there are actually three tours that go on: The first when Utopia was being built, a second into Utopia while it was active (this transcript would be cut short, as something happened to this particular tour; it was this one found in the ruins), and the final tour when Utopia was demolished.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

That seems awesome. This whole idea has enthralled me. As for the RPG I should clarify, I don't mean a video game, if that's what you thought, I am talking about a game like D&D or GURPS. I think overall it would depend on the group you were running the game for but the idea is just awesome and could provide so tricky roleplaying situations.

Again, thanks for the read (and the ideas for a game) I look forward to reading more, if such work is forthcoming.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

See if you can guess where I'm going with the installments of this story - I hate to keep things gloomy, but that's where my best writing is.

The Cure
The following excerpt is from "European Scientific Weekly", on page 13.

Imagine a time when all major diseases could be eliminated - No HIV, no flu, and most importantly, no cancer. What sounds like some science fiction story from the 80's is just around the corner.

Scientists have discovered a radical new approach to fighting the formerly-known incurable diseases and viruses. Gill Bates, the head scientist in this movement, explains:

"The approach will revolutionize how the world treats all diseases", he said during the International EUR Medical Convention. According to Gill, the technique is called the "Rogue Virus" approach, or RV. The process is simple - much in the way a hacker reverse engineers software, the scientists take stock virus cells from a contagious disease such as H1N1, remove the genetic material telling the virus to attack healthy cells, and instead inject the genetic instructions to target the dna or rna of the malicious cells, bacteria, or viruses. The modified virus is then given to the patient. The modified viruses die off once their food source is eliminated from the body.

"This has a huge potential in areas where such diseases are common - inject this into an airborne substance, and you can eradicate 99% of the illness or disease in a concentrated area" Gill goes on to say. "We tested our technique on chimps, and they all recovered from their version of the flu within hours of taking our RV's. The 100 people that participated in our human trials completely recovered from their cancer within a matter of days. This is some powerful stuff - we are making this world a better place by the day." Gill concluded with: "Soon, chemo will go the way of the dinosaur, and cancer patients will be able to enjoy a better, painless, and reaction-free treatment".

We would love to hear your comments on this exciting news - you can write to us at...

5 years later, after the cure has been released...Same newspaper
Another outbreak of "Cancer Flu" (CF) in the United States has people worried that it's the next "killer" epidemic. 15x worse than the bubonic plague, this illness has unknown origins.

Symptoms are hidden until almost the last few days before death. The main ones are a persistent cough, increased dryness of the skin, constant weariness, and eventually a coma. So far, 80% of people that have come in contact with the virus have died - this number could be higher in some places like Africa, where official tallys were not being recorded. While Scientists are continuing to understand how the virus works, what is known is rather disturbing.

"This virus" one scientist reported, "is unusual in that it adapts to all vaccines, and attacks any cells in its path. It also carries the genetic code for a unknown cancer, that rapidly multiplies to the point where the victim pretty much dies. The virus can be transferred by air, water, and touch, and only has about a 5% survival rate. It was found that people living in rural areas are more likely to survive than those in the cities".

Conspiracy theorists were quick to point out that shortly after RV was released into the wild, CF occurrences were starting to crop up. Some blamed the virus that was released, while others claimed it was a method of "population control". Gill Bates denied the claims. "It's absurd to think that our intention of releasing RV was for population control" He retorted. "We don't kill people for the better of the world; our goal is to help and preserve humankind".

All Governments are requesting that people sick with CF please voluntarily place yourself in the quarantine zones around the city. Please do this for your fellow healthy human; why risk them catching the illness? Be Healthy, Be Safe, Make a Better Place.

edit on 15/3/2014 by fossilera because: fixing mistakes

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
New Frontiers

Internal Email From Recruit XA12, released by FOIA...

I don't know if this will ever reach earth, but I need to try, Right? We have just passed the last known "safe zone", somewhere about 20,000 miles outside of Pluto's largest orbit; the radiation out here is pretty bad, so I doubt anyone except aliens can hear me now.

I should probably introduce myself, as no-one is going to remember me anyway. You may call me John if you want. I was born 27 years back, in one of those tiny little towns that many people still don't know existed. Ever since I was little, I wanted to be one of the first people in space (ohh the irony, now I just want to be back). I grew up, studied hard, and actually won the trip that I'm currently on now. My main job is a systems technician - I program the shuttles, make sure equipment is in order, and make sure that everything is running smoothly.

Right now I'm on the shuttle [censored], the first craft of it's kind - this one was designed for traveling pretty well close to the speed of light, with a combination of solar sails and fusion engines. The ship maintains it's own power, and the environment is fed by a large garden. There is actually quite a bit of room on this ship, now that several members are gone.

Probably should start at the beginning - Originally, this mission was created to get close enough to a mystery signal that seemed to be artificial. When the scientists "discovered" that it came from a planet, they nominated 15 people to act as a "representative" of human kind (that was a load of [censored], at least the politicians couldn't vote for a seat). We were shown images, heard the signal, and before I knew it, we were off.

My first hint that something was off was that the people picked weren't really the sort to be on this mission - I was merely 24, and many of the others barely broke the 20's ("better to start young" was their reply). The scientists never really showed us the video, just stills from the planet. We all signed out death certificates, leaving the date blank so it could be stamped. The launch was uneventful, as was the flight past Jupiter - 5 teams of 3, each doing a rotational shift. It got very boring onboard, which is how I discovered the second thing that disturbed me.

I was taking a look at the shuttle's code, and happen to catch a tiny snippet that pretty much rendered the onboard controls useless; in other words, all those times we "thought" we were adjusting the flight path, it was controlled by the PC. I also didn't have the needed permissions to rewrite it!

From there, thing's kept getting worse. We lost 2 of the teams doing routine maintenance on the exterior of the craft; three punctured their suits, 2 lost their tethers, and the last from the team tried to save them. We lost two more to the cancer flu, leaving us with a crew of seven. Maintaining this vessel is becoming harder to do; more leaks spring up by the day.

Looking back, I can see now why we had to sign out death certificates - They knew we would die; and probably right now, they are calling us "heroes", or "pioneers doing something no man has ever done before". Wouldn't be surprised if they purposely blow the ship up, just to make this even more famous for the countries involved. There was no signal, and the planet has been long destroyed.

Seeing as we are coming to the dead zone of space, I've got to make this quick, as I doubt any other messages will come through. If anyone asks what happened to us, the truth was that we were sentenced to death, all so that one country can say "Take that other country, look what we did - we shot humankind farther than you can ever hope to!!!". All at our expense, of course. But the government won't care about that - we got to test drive their tech, which will allow them to make better shuttles that can go even farther than we did. Take a hint - don't join the mission, unless you never want to see earth again. One last time, John Out.

World News, nine days after initial launch, 3 days before email above was received.
In a world of uncertainty, 15 members of an elite group will be forever remembered as "Representatives of our planet". These 15 brave souls were the first to come in contact with extraterrestrial life, and met their demise on the way back. NASA said that they lost communication with the shuttle just after the announced success of the mission.

As you all remember, a couple years ago scientists discovered that an artificial signal was being generated in the direction of a planet. Because no other agency has a shuttle quite like this one, Canada, India, and the USA created the project, dubbed Nibiru, to become the first manned space vehicle that can survive outside of the solar system.

One person, who wishes to remain anonymous, has speculated that the mission never really happened, and that each of the members onboard never existed. "I have proof" he stated, "that says each of these people never set foot on that fake shuttle; if they were, then why have their families not gone into mourning right now? Where are the funerals? Even their death certificate's date looks fake". Another spectator, claims that telescopes picked up an object that looked oddly similar to the shuttle's remains on Mars. NASA has refuted both, as did the ISA (Indian Space Agency) - Scientists claimed that paranoia and pareidolia are to blame, citing that people love to find connections where there are none.

Tomorrow, a moment of silence will be done for each of the 15 that have taken mankind to a whole new world.

top topics

join