It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does life come from?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It is true that the earth was once a ball of fire; this occurred approximately 4.5 billion years ago. The first forms of life emerged on earth about 3.5 billion years ago. In that span of 1 billion years, the earth became relatively more hospitable and better suited to sustain life. According to current theories, when life first emerged, the earth was no longer a ball of fire and the coalescing of molecules in a primordial soup, aided by earth’s vast oceans propelled biogenesis (emergence of life).

Secondly, we have to define what life is before we further explore your inquiries. According to the Central Dogma of Molecular Biology, a living organism must obey the following sequence: DNA replication, transcription of DNA into RNA and finally translation of RNA into proteins. Viruses do not abide by this dogma; therefore, many scientists do not consider them to be alive. Furthermore, viruses often need a host in order to replicate and produce a new generation.

Using this definition of living organisms, we could then examine the simplest forms of life to determine the most basic requirements that one needs to satisfy in order to be considered alive. Bacteria are the simplest forms of life on earth; they could be as small as a few picometers in diameter. This translates to about 2.0x10^12 atoms (a couple trillion atoms). Suppose it was possible to take individual atoms and place the couple trillion atoms necessary together to create life. Would this synthetic organism be alive or would there be a necessary spark or something else required to make this organism alive and carry out the processes of life (energy production, reproduction, etc)?

According to mainstream theories, if we are able to carry out such a task, the resulting synthetic organism should indeed be alive and be equivalent to the original bacteria that we mimicked with those couple trillion atoms. So to answer your question, atoms inherently contain the potential to create life (according to accepted scientific theories), all that is required is for the atoms to be arranged in the necessary sequence, depending on the organism in question.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

taoistguy
all our common ancestors were stars.

True that my friend, I very much like this as our common ancestor.

edit on 8-3-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

KrzYma

iRoyalty

Phage

Sort of a lot of effort.
I mean. If you're God why bother with a comet when a snap of the fingers (or equivalent) will do the trick?
*life*

I agree, but how can we be sure of the actual extent of the power of God?

It was also just a quick example that popped into my head, not a lot of thought went into it lol

I can only tell you what I think... about God
God is a concept, a concept like freedom, peace, truth, rightness, justice and many other big words.

My biggest question about God is, if he created all this, and he knew what he did, why is it such peace of crap what he did ?
Killing is survival, destruction is creation, lies are the truth

If life is some kind of a test, why I don't know the rules ?
If being a religious person, close to God means, I have to figure it out by myself or by listening to other humans, why not just give every new born living being an inherent knowledge what good or bad is ??

There is not good or bad, unless you judge it, judge it with humans eyes... this may differ

The concept of One God has evolved as our history has evolved, its a creation to make some sense out of the confusion that we find ourselves in. So we are a party to it, and cant complain about the crap job, because its like blaming yourself for thumping yourself in the head. The concept doesn't lend itself to our personal comfort, only logic and reason can be used for that. Our we part of the food chain anymore? nope...have we got the medical means to stop common diseases? yep, If you had an appendicitis would you rather go to a witch doctor, or a qualified surgeon? In reality things have really improved. Only since logic and reason have been used, which hasn't been that long.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

anonentity

KrzYma

iRoyalty

Phage

Sort of a lot of effort.
I mean. If you're God why bother with a comet when a snap of the fingers (or equivalent) will do the trick?
*life*

I agree, but how can we be sure of the actual extent of the power of God?

It was also just a quick example that popped into my head, not a lot of thought went into it lol

I can only tell you what I think... about God
God is a concept, a concept like freedom, peace, truth, rightness, justice and many other big words.

My biggest question about God is, if he created all this, and he knew what he did, why is it such peace of crap what he did ?
Killing is survival, destruction is creation, lies are the truth

If life is some kind of a test, why I don't know the rules ?
If being a religious person, close to God means, I have to figure it out by myself or by listening to other humans, why not just give every new born living being an inherent knowledge what good or bad is ??

There is not good or bad, unless you judge it, judge it with humans eyes... this may differ

The concept of One God has evolved as our history has evolved, its a creation to make some sense out of the confusion that we find ourselves in. So we are a party to it, and cant complain about the crap job, because its like blaming yourself for thumping yourself in the head. The concept doesn't lend itself to our personal comfort, only logic and reason can be used for that. Our we part of the food chain anymore? nope...have we got the medical means to stop common diseases? yep, If you had an appendicitis would you rather go to a witch doctor, or a qualified surgeon? In reality things have really improved. Only since logic and reason have been used, which hasn't been that long.

NO! the concept of one God is simply a math question... one to rule, one to decide
easier to control, easier to collect money

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Pistoche
It is true that the earth was once a ball of fire; this occurred approximately 4.5 billion years ago. The first forms of life emerged on earth about 3.5 billion years ago. In that span of 1 billion years, the earth became relatively more hospitable and better suited to sustain life. According to current theories, when life first emerged, the earth was no longer a ball of fire and the coalescing of molecules in a primordial soup, aided by earth’s vast oceans propelled biogenesis (emergence of life).

Secondly, we have to define what life is before we further explore your inquiries. According to the Central Dogma of Molecular Biology, a living organism must obey the following sequence: DNA replication, transcription of DNA into RNA and finally translation of RNA into proteins. Viruses do not abide by this dogma; therefore, many scientists do not consider them to be alive. Furthermore, viruses often need a host in order to replicate and produce a new generation.

Using this definition of living organisms, we could then examine the simplest forms of life to determine the most basic requirements that one needs to satisfy in order to be considered alive. Bacteria are the simplest forms of life on earth; they could be as small as a few picometers in diameter. This translates to about 2.0x10^12 atoms (a couple trillion atoms). Suppose it was possible to take individual atoms and place the couple trillion atoms necessary together to create life. Would this synthetic organism be alive or would there be a necessary spark or something else required to make this organism alive and carry out the processes of life (energy production, reproduction, etc)?

According to mainstream theories, if we are able to carry out such a task, the resulting synthetic organism should indeed be alive and be equivalent to the original bacteria that we mimicked with those couple trillion atoms. So to answer your question, atoms inherently contain the potential to create life (according to accepted scientific theories), all that is required is for the atoms to be arranged in the necessary sequence, depending on the organism in question.

Beautiful logic thank you for your reply. Then inherently since a Clone has bypassed evolutionary sexual reproduction, and the process that leads to its creation is essentially synthetic. Can it be considered a synthetic life form? bearing in mind the thing which kick starts the cell division is the energy of electrical stimulation, since the cell division doesn't happen without, I'm tending to think that life has a basic electrical component. Which in some of the paranormal pages of ATS , would seem to continue after the body has reached its use by date.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Mommies and daddies and their widgets and woo-woos is where life as we know it comes from.

But it's pretty common now to think the universe is filthy with wriggling, eating, excreting life... it's just the idea that some of that life has been around long enough to figure out travel between places that throws some people.

If we are an anomolly and the only life here... then that's pretty weird. Weirder than alien life. And thinking it was seeded through natural and unnatural processes... well, it's probably spread just that way- OR it springs up from the elements... either way, everywhere.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join