It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming Soon: San Diego Zoo Live Woolly Mammoth Clone Exihibit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The year was 1993. Scientist John Hammond successfully extracted full genetic makeups of various dinosaurs from fossilized mosquitos. Incubation began. In the story Jurassic Park, adapted from the Michael Crichton novel 1993 was a year of rebirth for a race of extinct beasts. Steven Spielberg presented a new masterpiece for all ages.

Twenty years and two far fetched sequels later, where are the dinosaurs? This wasn't a far reaching idea that we could bring back extinct animals through cloning. I want to ride a dinosaur.

The idea has not gone unnoticed. The cloning of extinct mammals may be first. And it may be soon.

Woolly Mammoth Clones

Several hurdles will need to be vaulted before the San Diego Zoo can build a Mammoth exhibit, though. The science of cloning is advancing quickly, but modern techniques don't have enough horsepower to handle the mammoth. So, the Revive & Restore crew may have to recuse a few other species first.

If they don't let me ride it, I'll be mad.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

I was obsessed with Mammoths as a small kid,and it broke my heart to think there were none left.
It may be possible one day to clone Mammoths,as they only became extint about 5 000years ago.
But scientists have recently discovered that DNA has a "shelf life"of approx 40 000years-so dinosaurs may never be cloned.
I am still hopeful that one day science will figure out a way to read and replicte DNA which has decayed.
Maybe chemical traces left behind could one day be interpreted in such a way as to be able to learn what DNA sequences were there before they decayed?
Or maybe the easier route would be to reverse engineer the DNA of todays birds,who are the modern evolution of ancient dinosaurs.
That has been looked at by some scientists I think.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I wonder if they can even survive, and if so, would they be smaller than their precursors?
I don't think we know if they went extinct due to climate change, lack of vegetation, or simply were hunted to extinction. Interesting all around, and I'll be expecting strong resistance from many groups/politicians.

edit on 3 8 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: it's < their

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

The first zoologist who suggests cloning velociraptors should be fired on the spot.

It would be fun to see a wooly mammoth walking around, but this doesn't seem like a done deal for awhile. Maybe some wooly rats or something before they perfect the process.

"But sir, the test tube clearly read 'Sparrow' "

edit on 8-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
We already cloning dinosaur predecessors, in fact I'm eating one right now.
Taste like chicken, cause thats what is it.

About the mammoth, why not Dodo bird ? Taste bit bitter but can feed lots of people.

But, but, its from mammoth DNA!

I just read...

One or two mammoths is not a success. 100,000 mammoths is a success."

Now were talking, McMammoth - 10% real mammoth meat! (others are engineered),
edit on 8-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If they ever DO clone a T-Rex I bet they'll need a "support ranch" to feed him.
We can use Mammoths for Heavy construction as well as riding.

"Fido,bring me that log. GOOOOOD boy."

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
San Diego zoo??
Shouldn't our new little fur baby (if successful) be housed in a colder climate?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

There is an article about this, if the technology does ever exist they may not be good candiates to bring back because of the lack of habitat.
There are scientists discussing guidelines on what the best animals to clone would be and they suspect mammoths would not meet them. But this technology is so young it is hard to tell what the story could be years from now, I do hope the try to bring back tasmainian tigers though
www.mnn.com...
www.livescience.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

I remember seeing a documentry/ video about a spot in Siberia being selected as a possible preserve for these creatures. I am not a biologist but if they did clone a mammoth it seems that Siberia would be a perfect choice. I know they found mammoth remains that had liqiud blood in them. So maybe in the next 50 years our grandchildren can enjoy these creatures.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't know. The cost of properly caring for the beast, making sure it had enough space and food is one concern. I would also be concerned with how lonely and unhappy this poor beast would be. I know they could clone more but still. It just doesn't feel right.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

CitizenJack
reply to post by grey9438

I remember seeing a documentry/ video about a spot in Siberia being selected as a possible preserve for these creatures. I am not a biologist but if they did clone a mammoth it seems that Siberia would be a perfect choice. I know they found mammoth remains that had liqiud blood in them. So maybe in the next 50 years our grandchildren can enjoy these creatures.

Hmmm...interesting I suppose, but how would this affect the eco system and all?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
As awesome as it would be to actually see a live Wooly Mammoth, I think Dr. Ian Malcolm said it best.. "Your scientists are so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonder

It always starts with oohs and aahs, and then there's just running and screaming....

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Night Star

Hmmm...interesting I suppose, but how would this affect the eco system and all?

Even if an alien make a village in Siberia, nobody ever know. Same goes for the Mammoth, but instead of the Siberia tundra, I think the forest steppe is much more suitable. These elephant eat a lot and they might die easily in Siberia.

Anyway, they found something much older than the Mammoth, and its ...uhh "reanimated" ?
Scientists dig up giant virus more than 30,000 years old in Siberia

pssttt you can put this in the Breaking News, free stars and flag, do it quick!

edit on 8-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
There was a Tyrannosaurus femur cut in half to make it easier to transport by helicopter from Hells Creek in the USA and it had soft tissue still inside ,i dont believe the 70 million years ago figure they come up with mooooooooooore Bull !!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

It could be Pleistocene park, its a place in Siberia where they are trying to see if reintroducing mega fauna that used to live their can recreate the natural tundra, they now have moose, reindeer, and European bison, as well as introduced musk ox, and are thinking about bringing saiga antelope back their, they think it would be good habitat for mammoths.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-3-2014 by grey9438 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Very cool... and freaky.

Although maybe they went extinct for a reason...

War, disease, famine, space aliens...

In the end its going to be a Velociraptor cloned using DNA from an animal that can reproduce all by itself and one careless grounds keeper.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I think it would be cool to basically "resurrect" species that mankind pretty much wiped out. It would be good karma to make the Dodo, passenger pigeon, Tasmanian Wolf and Mammoths come back to life. I'm sure their are other species that Man had caused to be extinct.

.........But no Raptors....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
All kinds of ethical questions come up but I wonder about a clones ability to reproduce and if so how well I know mules cannot reproduce.. nature drew a line at the cross breeding of donkeys and horses. I imagine nature has several such fail safes in place.

top topics

join