It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans-Meditational State (Mental Discipline)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've come to realize that the key to thinking effectively is to achieve a trans-meditational state of mind. What is meant by a trans-meditational state of mind? A trans-meditational state of mind is where you enhance the effectiveness of your mind, without meditation.

Not Enough Time

Meditation is one way to positively effect the mind. The major drawback is that, to notice results, and especially substantial results, you have to set aside a certain amount of time to meditate. What's worse is that, to really achieve enough results, I would say that you have to meditate constantly, and for at least 45 mins. Now, that's if you want to master it. Most people are not monks, so most people don't have that much time. So, to achieve the kind of results you want, you have to meditate daily, and for 45 minutes -- preferably an hour. Trust me, there's a much better way. I also recommend that you try it. It's also an easier way, for the most part.

No Meditation

The key to effectively train your mind is mental discipline. But before we get into that, you have to achieve a trans-meditational state. The essence of a trans-meditational state, is to achieve the positive effects of meditation, without meditation. It's sort of a misnomer, because you are meditating, you've just pushed the bulk of the work that's to be done into the background of your mind. Think of it as having your subconscious do the work. The way to achieve a trans-meditational state is to intone a concept. 

To be honest, this state is best achieved with relative rest. What separates it from meditation, however, is that there is no need to train the mind to focus on a mantra, for example. A trans-meditational state is akin to contemplating a concept, or mulling around an idea (you pretty much have to keep your mind on that idea, though). Just remember that if you're mind is intently focused on the idea, you're doing it wrong. And also remember that you're environment has to be distraction-free, for the most part. Once you get better at it, the more distraction you will be able to handle while doing it.

Mental Discipline

You can intone any concept you wish. The concept that I feel works best with this is mental discipline. When you think about mental discipline, mull around the idea in your head. The reason I think that mental discipline works best is because your mind, in this state, is relaxed enough. If you set your mind to think about some ambiguous concept, you will probably not see results. Your mind needs something hard-hitting to effectively work in this state.

Meta-Result

The likely results from this type of trans-meditational state are possibly similar to mindfulness training. When I utilize this state, I find that it is quite similar to mindfulness, only because with mindfulness, you are trying to achieve a meta-result (which is observing your thoughts).

Why Not Just Meditate?

The reason I recommend a trans-meditational state is because, while meditation has been generally shown to be beneficial, it is highly overrated (I know that I'm going to get killed for saying that). Have all of history's brightest thinkers meditated? Some, but not all. Steve Jobs did, and Phil Jackson has, however, Einstein likely did not. I think that it's time to move into a post-meditational world before society starts using meditation as a crutch. I think that it would be beneficial to expand on a concept like mindfulness, and bring meditation-like effects into real-time results.

Have fun!

BAPS

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Is this what you're talking about?

Insight/Analytic Meditation (Vipassana)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Nope. But it doesn't make a difference if it is or isn't a school of thought that actually exists. It's just a set of techniques that I've been experimenting with.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

On second glance, the reasoning part is similar.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I can hear crickets!!

new topics

top topics

join