It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing-bound MAS plane carrying 239 people missing as of 20 mins ago.

page: 323
<< 320  321  322    324  325  326 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

Usually somewhere in that area is normal.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

WanDash

In my opinion - it was a professionally-written piece.

I have to agree. The ruling party is trying to get some kind of a political win.

They tried to kill Ibrahim's political power time and time again. They thought they had a hand up with the over turning of Ibrahim's not-guilty verdict. But even that failed because 4 days after the plane went missing, Ibrahim's wife won his seat in a special election and the ruling party missed their opportunity to tighten their grip on Malaysian politics.

Malaysia Opposition Leader Anwar’s Wife Wins Vote for State Seat
PKR retains Kajang

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

auroraaus
reply to post by WanDash

LOL, Zaphod cleared it up easier for me xD

*pats*

Second post... not sure if you're being sarcastic or putting me down, so, have another scotch

Thought I made it clear that I was simply 'wanting to have some fun'...and, a couple of snips seemed to do the trick.
Looks like I was the only one having fun.
My apologies!!!!
(Then again - you left the door slightly open with the 'shiny things' comment.)
They need to add a bouquet of flowers or box of chocolates emoticon to the batch...
Since they don't...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I self-depreciate often.

If I took myself seriously often, I would have ended up in indefinite psychiatric holding.

Yup.

I also like to believe that if I ask for dumbing-down of technical replies, that it helps lurkers on this board who might not understand as well as others such as yourself.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

auroraaus
reply to post by WanDash

I self-depreciate often. ...

I can't think of a better way of presenting oneself. Honestly.
Never present yourself more highly than you care to...fall.
Written communication can be just as...misunderstood as...face-to-face.

...If I took myself seriously often, I would have ended up in indefinite psychiatric holding.

Yup.

I used to take myself quite seriously. I...lost.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Recent updates.

time.com...

The hunt for the missing Malaysian Airlines aircraft has shifted some 680 miles north after a “credible lead” was received by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. The update indicates the 200-ton, twin-engine jetliner was traveling faster than previously thought

The search area for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has shifted some 680 miles (1,100 km.) to the north after a fresh “credible lead” was received by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.

The latest information is based on ongoing analysis of radar data from the area between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca, before the Boeing 777-200 vanished from screens during a flight to Beijing on March 8.

The update, provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia, indicates the 200-ton, twin-engine jetliner was traveling faster than previously thought, burning up more fuel and cutting the possible distance traveled on its southward bearing into the Indian Ocean.

The new search area measures some 123,000 sq. mi. (319,000 sq. km.) and is situated 1,150 miles (1,850 km.) west of Perth, Australia. All six search vessels are currently relocating to this area and will be joined by 10 aircraft throughout the course of Friday.

Australia, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, China and the U.S. are all collaborating in the hunt for MH370, which vanished soon after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, sparking a massive search for the jet across southeast Asia.

Investigators believe the plane carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew members went down in the southern part of the Indian Ocean and are continuing to analyze satellite imagery to pinpoint potential debris.

Some 300 objects that may have come from the aircraft have been spotted by satellites, but so far none have been positively identified. Poor weather conditions in the search area have hampered air and sea efforts to closely inspect any of the objects.

edit on 28-3-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you,... but are you disagreeing or agreeing that the maximum auto-pilot and cruising speed are the same? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just a little confused here.

Me: "Weren't they already figuring all the math based on maximum autopilot speeds?"

You: "No it was based on cruising speed for the plane."

Me: "You would know better than me but isn't the autopilot set to run at the cruising speed of mach .84 (630mph or 1013 kph)?"

You: "Usually somewhere in that area is normal."

Can you see where I am getting confused? Was it just a correction on my syntax? Again I'm not trying to argue anything, you clearly know a lot more about aviation than I do but I'm lost as to the point you were making.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
bbracken677

I don't think we ever received aircraft parts that were shipped via commercial passenger. That is pretty expensive. You ship by Airlines when it's too late to get overnight by FedEx or UPS and you absolutely have to have it the next day. The supplier has to take it to the airport/airline and you have to go pick it up as well once it arrives. Triple whammy.
so we have to try to find out who was picking up this cargo at Beijing and what made it so 'urgent' that it was shipped on passenger plane. I doubt we will ever know though.

What we need is a list of loose ends which are unverified. Then we need the ones which are/were verified with the ones which were subsequently changed, moved over to the unverified list. I dont know how anyone can keep a handle on this investigation.

Does the new search area take into account the drift statistics which have been worked out by the buoys they dropped? The Chinese, French and the Australians have spotted satellite images of debris and Xinhuanet have said that any debris picked up will go directly to Malaysia since they are handling all the investigations. Rather too much like a hot potato - keep it moving and the one who finally has it gets all the heat.

AUSTRALIA TO GIVE ANY WRECKAGE TO BE FOUND TO MALAYSIA FOR INVESTIGATION: AUSTRALIAN AUTHORITIES

Need to keep an eye on that fire extinguisher that was found in the Maldives too.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
More updates from the actual investigation.

www.theguardian.com...

Flight MH370: search zone moved as new fuel theory emerges

Malaysia Airlines plane was going faster than previously thought, meaning its tanks would have run dry sooner, say authorities

The Australian-led search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has shifted 1,100km to the north-east after investigators calculated the plane was going faster and using more fuel when it disappeared than previously thought.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) said the analysis was based on the plane's final radar contacts between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca, and suggested the plane would have burned more fuel in the opening stages of its flight. It therefore would not have made it as far into the Indian Ocean before running out of fuel and crashing.

The new target location means planes are able to spend longer over the search area, and with the prospect of much better weather because it is away the notoriously foul conditions of the "roaring forties"between the latitudes of 40 and 50 degrees south. Previously aircraft had been consuming much of their fuel and their time just getting out to sea and returning. This left limited capacity to remain "on-scene", said John Young, general manager of the Amsa emergency response division.

"We will certainly get better time on scene. We started nearly 3,000km from Perth so we've taken quite a lot off that. You might recall we were talking in terms of one to two hours on-scene. We're now doing much better than that.

"The other benefit we get from the north is the search area has moved out of the roaring forties, which creates very adverse weather frequently. I'm not sure we'll get perfect weather out there but it's likely to be better more often than we've seen in the past."
Australia's Geospatial Intelligence Organisation is reprogramming satellites to image the new area. "We will see what that does in terms of satellite imagery when the retasking of satellite starts to produce new material as well," Young said.

Tony Abbott, the Australian prime minister, said the "new and credible lead" had resulted in the search area being shifted to an area of about 319,000 square kilometres centred on a point 1,850km west of Perth.

The US has sent another search plane to join the hunt after Thailand became the latest country to announce satellite imagery showing hundreds of pieces of possible debris in the Indian Ocean west of Australia.

The United States said it was sending a second P-8 Poseidon aircraft to Perth but would not be sending a warship. "We believe – and just as importantly, the Malaysian government believes – that the most important asset that we have that we can help them with are these long-range maritime patrol aircraft," said Rear Admiral John Kirby.

The commanding officer of Australia's HMAS Success, Captain Allison Norris, said she had instituted hourly shift changes to make sure crews' attention did not stray from scanning the vast and remote stretch of ocean notorious for its rapidly changing weather conditions. The warship is leading the seaborne search in a multinational effort that on Friday resumed with 10 aircraft setting out to join the five ships already at sea.

Norris told the Sydney Morning Herald that supervisors on the Success were constantly reminding crew "what they're there for and keeping them focused".

"Morale remains good despite the cold conditions," she said.

Amsa said that as well as the planes already involved, the Australian air force was putting another P3 Orion on standby in case of a debris sighting.

Thailand's Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency has said images taken on Monday showed about 300 objects ranging in size from two to 15 metres. The information was passed to Malaysian authorities.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I wonder how many times will the search area be moved before they start searching the northern corridor?

Or more to the point how many times the "rules" will change...
edit on 28-3-2014 by haveblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
To quote one reporter's observation from BBC's live coverage:

"NBC News Foreign Correspondent Keir Simmons tweets: The impression from the Australians now... all of the satellite imagery from the last few days is irrelevant - does not show #370 debris."

Since they shifted the search area so significantly, and this is all based on a "new fuel theory", it would certainly seem that the many "hundreds" of "objects" sighted by the various satellites are nothing. So on and on we go - all this "information" and "analysis" keeping us on a wild goose chase. In the meantime, Malaysia can seal relevant information, and hope to have this drag out long enough for whatever reasons. I can't wait to see what other "theory" is offered up when this search area yields nothing.

At this point, we are unfortunately all a bunch of suckers - I can hardly trace any claims that have stayed consistent since the beginning of this incident except for the fact that the plane is gone. I mean Mangosteens, then batteries, then walky talkies...what next? Two pandas actually managed to board the plane with fake passports too? The "theories" I've seen here are more credible it seems than what is being posited by experts, since many of the ones here at least have not been "disproved" while the ones posed by "experts" have yielded nothing.

I cannot imagine the anger and frustration felt by the relatives and loved ones of passengers on this flight.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

OatDelphi
reply to post by Zaphod58

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you,... but are you disagreeing or agreeing that the maximum auto-pilot and cruising speed are the same? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just a little confused here.

Me: "Weren't they already figuring all the math based on maximum autopilot speeds?"

You: "No it was based on cruising speed for the plane."

Me: "You would know better than me but isn't the autopilot set to run at the cruising speed of mach .84 (630mph or 1013 kph)?"

You: "Usually somewhere in that area is normal."

Can you see where I am getting confused? Was it just a correction on my syntax? Again I'm not trying to argue anything, you clearly know a lot more about aviation than I do but I'm lost as to the point you were making.

I gather MH370 was cruising at Mach 0.82, not mach 0.84 however that is acceptable within a given range of airspeeds. The higher one climbs the higher the stall speed which in turn narrows the range of speed available.

Aircraft generally have one of three preferred speeds, maximum airspeed, economical airspeed, or long range cruise. The last two are progressively slower.

Mach 0.84 at 20,000 feet is not the same as 35,000feet because air becomes less dense with altitude.

At last transponder contact 17:21 GMT just past IGARI, MH370 was flying at 471 knots (KIAS).

From take off MH370 flew the first 3 minutes, 20 seconds at 250 KIAS up to 10,000ft, then flew another 7 minutes at 280kt (320KIAS) (c.Mach 0.7) up to 24,000ft, then at 315kt (340 KIAS) (Mach 0.82) within 2 minutes reaching 27,000ft. It took another 4 minutes to reach 35,000ft at Mach 0.82. The entire cruise to altitude used about 6,000kg of fuel.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

The maximum autopilot speed is the maximum speed the aircraft is capable of. Cruising speed of the aircraft is somewhere around mach 0.84 or so. Sometimes it's a little higher, sometimes a little lower depending on conditions.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by auroraaus

Over The Horizon Backscatter, or OTH-B. JORN is the one in Australia, and there are two in cold storage in the US. Those are currently the only confirmed ones out there.

The UK has one covering the northeast Atlantic and the Soviets had this array which I believe they had to abandon in the Ukraine:

The United States has two new different arrays under completion covering Mexico, Venezuela, northern Brazil and all the Carribbean.

Currently the US OTH-B array covers the following areas:

They are used to detect smuggling flights and long range aircraft threats.
edit on 28-3-2014 by sy.gunson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

The fire extinguisher doesn't appear to be from this flight. The corrosion and growth on it means it has been in the water awhile. It may be from a B-1 that crashed several years ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

All the US arrays are now in cold storage. They were used by NOAA for awhile, but have since been put into storage.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

WanDash

Faster = further in time
Not = shorter in time

Show me where I'm missing this one...

If I travel at 100 mph (Yes - idiot that measures in miles)...on 10 gallons (Yes to that too)...reducing my Miles/Gallon to 10 mpg... I will travel 100 miles in 1 hour (and 'hours' too)

If I travel at 70 mph...on 10 gallons...improving my Miles/Gallon to 15 mpg... I will be able to travel 105 miles in 1 hour and 30 minutes.

The only way I can see their 'new math' working is if they are now trying to incorporate a longer (more roundabout) route into the calculations.
If we're talking about the same route as before - 8:11 is still 8:11, whether you're at Mach 1 or 540 mph.

Probably not seeing it as you.
Let me know if you see where I'm missing it...here.
Thanks.
edit on 3/27/2014 by WanDash because: don't even know

Airspeed is a function of altitude and engine thrust. In lower altitudes jets burn more for slower progress. At higher altitudes they burn less for less fuel consumption but fly faster because the air is thinner.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by auroraaus

Kind of, but not really if that makes sense. The US units use a transmit antenna that is a little over 600 feet by 250 feet or so, with the receiver being over 900 x 450 feet. They are vertical antennas separated to allow for clean data.

In order to narrow the beam the transmit aerial needs to be 60 kilometres away from the receiver array. Beam finess is important to target resolution.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by sy.gunson

All the US arrays are now in cold storage. They were used by NOAA for awhile, but have since been put into storage.

I understand new arrays have been created pointing into the Carribbean to detect drug trafficking flights and this is a different array to OTH-B

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

roadgravel
Did anyone find a reliable radar source (er, not Malaysia), about the turn right after blackout.

-Did flightradar24 actual show 370 start the right turn to the next easterly way point (didn't the last send show that?)

Or

-Is thailand radar being used to confirm the left (NW) turn and there is high confidence in that data (the MSM repeat this one)

edit on 3/27/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

Military radar in Vietnam tracked the aircraft until 18:40GMT and they were convinced it went down in the South China Sea.

ie, it disappeared, however in roughly the area northeast of IGARI there is a radar black spot where aircraft routinely disappear for a short time.

top topics

<< 320  321  322    324  325  326 >>

join