It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Vet cuts down Mexican Flag flying over American Flag

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

No, its not about the flag.

See my earlier comments.

An jerk decided to insult the community of Reno. I have lived there. Big mistake.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
My whole opinion on this was really that right to private property is more a corner stone and sign of freedom than the flag as the right to private property is a practical and very important applications of freedom.

It seemed to me the "vet" desecrated and trampled on a practical and very important aspect of freedom for the sake of a symbol of freedom.

If it had been public property then I probably wouldn't even have commented on the thread as the public would have full right to act there.

Freedom is a great thing. But we have to pay a price, and that price is that we have to deal with the fact we are going to get offended and maybe even hurt and attacked for it.

Destroying a practical aspect of freedom (IE private property) to protect a symbol of freedom is to me counter intuitive to the whole idea of freedom

It like signing our rights away in things like the patriot act (Or banning guns in the UK) to protect ourselves and or sensibility rather than defending the idea itself.
edit on 11-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
America. Freedom of speech and expression. This guy should have left the other guys property alone.

That being said it pisses me off to see people disrespecting the banner of the country that we live in.

Sometimes I feel that immigrants don't necessarily feel that their country of origin is "better" but rather by flying flags and having parades they are expressing racial pride. As US citizens it's difficult for us to see that since our flag represents only our country. Many other nations are widely populated by a single race, therefore they see their flag as a symbol of their people and not the necessarily government/land....does that make sense?
edit on 3/11/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

RedParrotHead

That being said it pisses me off to see people disrespecting the banner of the country that we live in.

I think that highlights the idea of freedom though.

It a great thing to have BUT the price is sometimes we will have to see or hear things that offend us.

But id rather live in a country were people can say and do things that offend me than a country were people cant say anything at all.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

good.
My wife is Mexican and we both applaud this.

Having those Flags like that is a provatory lack of respect towards the Entire US and every one of its citizens. That is the potential gravity of this situation now made public since a flag is entirely a symbol of each and all people who truly consider themselves a family of people under that particular symbol.

This must then be understood to be implicit to the argument and as such to convey strongly what ever intent is placed behind it. In this case a statement of loyalty. This building defied public law and whats worse is that it defied public outcry. It defied its neighbors. In my opinion THAT is what makes this display akin to a declaration of being an enemy of state. Against all, for none.

Any use of a flag in a less than a respectful way is equally potent negatively and conveys strong sentiment or intent by its use. This symbol above this building, this statement, is also hurtful to Americans of Mexican heritage who dont want the added social tension that idiots create by acting inappropriately. Refusing to correct a situation which oneself created purposefully or not is just dumb and unacceptable.

This guy and anyone else who felt like it had EVERY RIGHT to take down that foreign flag over our own. Not even a public building can do what they did. This building and its owners broke the law. Worse than that, they defied human nature and the community. No animal keeps strangers near its own out of survival instinct and common sense.

Do this everywhere your land is being disputed. Any guest that can not act correctly is no longer privy to the rights of a guest. Those who live in the home he had once been welcome to can do anything in their power to expel or correct the behavior of this person now intruding by violating the agreed conditions of stay.

edit on 3 11 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

RedParrotHead
America. Freedom of speech and expression. This guy should have left the other guys property alone.

Sometimes I feel that immigrants don't necessarily feel that their country of origin is "better" but rather by flying flags and having parades they are expressing racial pride. As US citizens it's difficult for us to see that since our flag represents only our country. Many other nations are widely populated by a single race, therefore they see their flag as a symbol of their people and not the necessarily government/land....does that make sense?
edit on 3/11/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

It makes complete sense.

America is embroiled in nationalistic fervor. Has been for a long while. People who dare question why we are killing so many people, and people who have grown sick and tired of war and murder, are shouted down as unpatriotic.

That kind of behavior got us into Iraq. And it reminds me of how prior war machines got their gears running.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

But id rather live in a country were people can say and do things that offend me than a country were people cant say anything at all.

Live and let live is a sign of being a grownup I think - in a person and a nation

Also, as you and your compatriots pointed out earlier in this thread - the ability to laugh, and laugh at ourselves is a rare and wonderful thing. Rarer in some parts than others

This is a new country still. Maybe we are so easily offended and unable to laugh at ourselves because we're still in that awkward teenager stage - give us another thousand years to catch up

We'll get there - maybe

:-)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You know...

The more I think of this and not just about the video but also the replies and arguments the more I find it quite humorous. For those few who in this thread that very specifically bashed Americans for having irrational 'Flag Pride' I'll ask you this, what was the Mexican doing in this context?

Proudly displaying their flag.

Ironic
edit on 11-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Sometimes it can be the most simple of observations that turn out to be the most profound, eh?

Very good point!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

SLAYER69
You know...

The more I think of this and not just about the video but also the replies and arguments the more I find it quite humorous. For those few who in this thread that very specifically bashed Americans for having irrational 'Flag Pride' I'll ask you this, what was the Mexican doing in this context?

Ironic

I don't think flag pride is irrational. What I find irrational is someone going on someone else's property and cutting down THEIR flag. How does it ever make sense that it's okay to do something like that, when it's not your property and it's not your flag?
If it's something that's against the law, then inform the law and let them deal with it. Wouldn't that be the rational thing to do?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I never argued what he did was rational nor legal, I even specifically said I have nothing against Mexicans nor their flag just follow proper flag etiquette while in this country. I was referring specifically to those who slam Americans for flag pride. As if this is uniquely an American phenomenon. Let's look at current events.

Raise a 'Russian' flag in this Western Ukraine protest and see how long you or it lasts at the hands of the crowd.

Conversely, try to raise an American flag at this Pro Russian protest and kiss your backside goodbye.

So, no, it isn't a uniquely 'American' issue.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Or proudly displaying both.

Maybe not in accordance to the local customs but still.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Slayer...

What I find ironic is the people criticizing us the most for our American symbolism.

Is the very people who are part of a Monarchy.

Not much symbolism there.

Sheesh

edit on 11-3-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

tadaman
reply to post by whyamIhere

good.
My wife is Mexican and we both applaud this.

Having those Flags like that is a provatory lack of respect towards the Entire US and every one of its citizens. That is the potential gravity of this situation now made public since a flag is entirely a symbol of each and all people who truly consider themselves a family of people under that particular symbol.

This must then be understood to be implicit to the argument and as such to convey strongly what ever intent is placed behind it. In this case a statement of loyalty. This building defied public law and whats worse is that it defied public outcry. It defied its neighbors. In my opinion THAT is what makes this display akin to a declaration of being an enemy of state. Against all, for none.

Any use of a flag in a less than a respectful way is equally potent negatively and conveys strong sentiment or intent by its use. This symbol above this building, this statement, is also hurtful to Americans of Mexican heritage who dont want the added social tension that idiots create by acting inappropriately. Refusing to correct a situation which oneself created purposefully or not is just dumb and unacceptable.

This guy and anyone else who felt like it had EVERY RIGHT to take down that foreign flag over our own. Not even a public building can do what they did. This building and its owners broke the law. Worse than that, they defied human nature and the community. No animal keeps strangers near its own out of survival instinct and common sense.

Do this everywhere your land is being disputed. Any guest that can not act correctly is no longer privy to the rights of a guest. Those who live in the home he had once been welcome to can do anything in their power to expel or correct the behavior of this person now intruding by violating the agreed conditions of stay.

edit on 3 11 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

But in doing so the "vet" broke the fundamental right of private property. And the whole issue behind the idea that you cant just enter someone else property uninvited unless you have a warrant.

The vet in his action just nullified the freedom of private property AND gave strength the the whole idea of warrentless actions by police.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

whyamIhere
What I find ironic is the people criticizing us the most for our American symbolism.

Im not disputing the flag I understand the flag is you way of dispalying national pride.

But issue is with property rights.

Property rights are a fundamental and practical part of freedom

Destroying a practical part of freedom to defend a symbol of freedom is to me counterproductive.

Its like the patriot act, it destroys yous practical freedoms to protect the idea of freedom.
It makes no sense.

To me Im strictly against invading someones property Unless you have a warrant.

If the vet had a warrant again I would not be posting here.

whyamIhere
Is the very people who are part of a Monarchy.

Not much symbolism there.

Constitutional Monarchy

The poor old hag has less rights than me, she not even allowed a political opinion!

But your right the queen like our castles and monuments is a symbol of Britain.
edit on 11-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I never argued what he did was rational nor legal...

You absolutely endorsed what he did - and the way he did it

So, no, it isn't a uniquely 'American' issue.

So?

edit on 3/11/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: it is what it is

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

No doubt it was a property crime.

Nobody should argue what he did was legal.

I said "it was awesome"...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Well, the pics you show are a different situation entirely. These are specifically patriotic events - so, yeah - you would expect a pretty strong flag pride there, and emotions running high. I think most countries have their patriots - America is no exception. But someone who simply drives by a restaurant and sees a Mexican flag above the U.S. flag, and is compelled to trespass and cut the Mexican flag down - is a little nutty if you ask me. Would we see the same type of action of a citizen in another free world country? Hmmm, not sure about that. I think the other posters' point was, Americans can get a little nutty about their flag. I'm not sure I disagree with that.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

whyamIhere

I said "it was awesome"...

But would you say it was awesome if the police had raided a property without a warrant?

Thats the problem.

I see a very important right being destroyed to protect a symbol of rights.

I think both party's were wrong. And two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Spiramirabilis
You absolutely endorsed what he did - and the way he did it

Never denied that.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join