It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Vet cuts down Mexican Flag flying over American Flag

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Telling an American the burning of the American flag in and out of his country is freedom of speech.

Acceptable.

Telling an American it's wrong to defend their flag's honor in their own country because it's not pop culture politically correct.

Unacceptable...

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

bitsforbytes
reply to post by Violater1

Well I guess from your name and phrase written below it. I cannot expect a different stance on this issue from you.

Although this is a typical weak ad hominem attack, I will still thank you for recognizing it

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

neformore
So the guy commits a crime by vandalising someone else's property, and then stealing it - and some folks are applauding this?

Really?

Yes, they seem rather confused.

One contradiction after another...I won't judge them for their opinion but it appears to me that some people are letting their emotions keep them from applying logical thinking to their posts.

There have been many good points made by all sides of opinion in this thread but I cannot ignore the hypocrisy in regards to what they consider right and wrong.

If a person of Mexican heritage took down an American flag I am confident that people would be freaking out.

That being said, I do not think that it would be very respectful to do so...other side of the coin.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Lay down his life? He did put his life in harms way when he was on the war ground (I don't know where) when he was younger. But now? Poor guy probably still fighting a war in his mind.

If only this guys way of thinking was applied to restoring the USA to what it was when it wasn't dept stricken and trigger happy. When it truly stood for freedom and liberty. This guy is living in the past.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Your welcome!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by Nyiah

Incorrect, you fly the American Flag correct in AMERICA, or don't fly it AT ALL!!!

Please correct me if I am wrong but weren't you famous for 15 minutes for flying yours upside down?

Are you saying that in America, you do not possess the freedom to fly a flag however you see fit?

You were overseas protecting your freedoms, so where did these freedoms go, did they all of a sudden just disappear?

Man, this thread is unbelievable...

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Now that's whats up.
I personally would have went inside afterwards, got a shot of Tequila just so I made my point and then left.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I see your point, hanging a mexican flag over a US flag could be considered as free speech, but so could someone telling you to go f yourself. At which point punching said individual in the chops could also be considered free speech.

It appears that we understand each other but may slightly disagree on certain aspects.

I may be wrong here, but I do not think telling someone to go F themselves is against the law (i am not certain) but I am certain that punching said individual in the chops IS A CRIME and would not fall under free speech as it would be classified as assault or whatever it is you guys call it (battery?).

How about if some guy tells your wife he wants to do all kinds of nasty things to her, right in front of your face, free speech right?

Another good point.

My issue with this is that D-Bag practiced his right to free speech, as pathetic as it was and depending what he said could actually be classified as a hate crime of some sort and it left you all full of anger due to the nasty things which were said about your family, and rightfully so but what happens next is up to you.

This is where you have to make a decision. Do you knock his lights out or do you just walk away? If you knock his lights out you then you commit a crime and are just as bad if not worse than said D-Bag...trust me, I get your point and it would be very difficult not to react accordingly but there is a difference between verbally insulting someone and physically assaulting them.

What I am getting at is punching someone in the nose is not free speech, not even close.

I am surprised that you would try and compare the two.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Telling an American the burning of the American flag in and out of his country is freedom of speech.

Acceptable.

Telling an American it's wrong to defend their flag's honor in their own country because it's not pop culture politically correct.

Unacceptable...

Another contradiction, and man I tell you there have been many so far and I have only read a few pages.

You provided two scenarios...

Scenario one you claimed was acceptable, yet you decided that scenario two was unacceptable.

Is this an opinion of yours or a fact that can be verified?

It appears to me that many of you are selective about what can freely be spoken.

Trust me, I feel you...somethings are just horrible and should never be said and free speech is abused and people do take their freedoms for granted but you can't have it both ways, you either have free speech or you don't. Which one is it?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Corruption Exposed
Please correct me if I am wrong but weren't you famous for 15 minutes for flying yours upside down?

Are you saying that in America, you do not possess the freedom to fly a flag however you see fit?

Man, this thread is unbelievable...

Why is the US Flag diplayed Upside Down?

The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress. It is not meant to be, and is not officially recognized as any type of disrespect when so displayed for the right reasons. To the contrary, here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Thank you for posting the "official" reasoning behind the upside down flag. I was already aware of the meaning but what you have done is illustrated that freedom does not exist as it is portrayed.

A country that is truly free would not have laws and amendments which dictate how a meaningless piece of fabric that was most likely made in China should be handled. If freedom truly existed, you could put the North Korean flag sewn to an Iranian flag and not have to fear the consequences.

I am not condoning or promoting the above scenario but just wanted to point out the flaw in that logic (not your logic - the logic in regards to the official reasoning).

ETA:

I recently burned a Canadian flag in my living room of all places - that's how I feel about this country right about now.
edit on 3/9/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Really Inteprid, you usually put out some good posts, but you had to go with the "do you still beat your wife" question?

It was a good post - I starred it

I would have given it a hundred more stars if I could

Do you actually want to pretend that you don't understand what he meant?

:-)

I'm going to pretend I don't understand what you meant by this:

50 years ago, this punk who put his flag up over ours would have most likely at least gotten the dog snot stomped out of him, and a 100 years ago, shot, and his business burned down. And that goes for pretty much any country. We have become a kinder and gentler nation,

But some things shouldn't be tolerated.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'm sorry but it's only in America you'd see this... We have been in every war you guys have, had our people die by the sides of your people. Yet, you're the only country who get's so weird about 'flag etiquette'.

In England, any flag can be flown anywhere, at any time... Perhaps some die hard EDL supporters might get their knickers in a twist, but the rest of us don't care. This isn't because we're not patriots, I love England and I love being an Englishman, but if I saw someone flying their own flag over mine, my only comment would be 'cool flag man'.

This just worries me how crazy you are about it, Americans have the flag shoved down their throats so if your government wants you to die for them, all they have to do is wave the piece of fabric that was probably made in China in your face, and say it's in danger.

Classic brainwashing technique.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Pop culture?

Do you think so little of our country, it's laws - our rights and our constitution as that? If it's not your way - it's wrong?

I know that's not true. I know how strongly you feel about your country Slayer, and I know you value our rights. I know you mean to defend this veteran - and his passion for what he holds dear. He feels as strongly about this as you do

What I think you don't understand (truly) is that those of us who aren't veterans - who aren't even conservatives - also love this country. These things are just as important to us as they are to you

The First Amendment is for all of us. It is not popular culture - it's a right , and it is one of the most beautiful things mankind has ever agreed on together

The veteran in this story was not only out of line - what he did was illegal. No matter how you personally feel about it. There are better ways to handle these kinds of things - and in fact, he had the right to express himself and his feelings without resorting to this kind of behavior

How about that photo you posted Slayer - is that a kind of threat?

It's my country too Slayer - I love it just as much as you do

I would never threaten you for not seeing things my way
edit on 3/9/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

whyamIhere
I wasn't making a case that it is legal.

I am making the case it is awesome.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
So the mexican dude had every right to shoot this guy dead then...didn't he? illegal trespass and destruction of his property.
All very silly and a waste of everyone's time If Iam honest. It is a flag on his own property he can do what he wants with either.
The vet should have been charged for criminal damage and trespass.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

This thread made me realize what a bunch of hypocrites a lot of ats frequenters are... you don't steal another persons flag and burn it unless you are at war with them, and don't defend a country whose government you bash on a daily basis...

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Voyaging

This thread made me realize what a bunch of hypocrites a lot of ats frequenters are... you don't steal another persons flag and burn it unless you are at war with them, and don't defend a country whose government you bash on a daily basis...

That's not true, you don't have to love your government to love your country.
edit on 9-3-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

So many things wrong with this video.

First, it's set up. Maybe staged. Set up because the camera is right there at the exact time he walks into the shot and goes straight for the flag.

A psychopath brandishing a large knife in front of people.

Say there was 10 American flags in this area. Now there are only 9, he removed one. How is that patriotic exactly? He could have removed the Mexican flag. Now this building that once had an American flag over, has none.

Vandalism, he destroys properly of the store owner

Theft - he steals the flag.

Threats - He threatens the store owner with physical violence if they want to reclaim their property, the American Flag. Does that sound patriotic? Threatening someone who wants their American flag back?

So this war vet fought in a war to protect freedom, then, he fights freedom in his home town and tries to oppress others with threats of violence. Why did he even fight in a war if he hates freedom so much? He is acting like the taliban.

This character needs to be locked up in a mental institution because it's pretty obvious how psychotic, dangerous and hate filled he is.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DumpMaster

Well put man, Americans get so blinded by the red white and blue, they seem to loose sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join