It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS/CBP agents interrogate Professor about her sex life after spying on her email.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
IU instructor accuses feds of email snooping.

The suit was filed last week:

Woman Detained at Airport Files Suit.

The complaint.

According to Dr. Von Der Haar’s complaint, armed CBP officers detained both her and Mr. Papatheodoropoulos, took them into separate rooms, and stood blocking the exit door while they interrogated Dr. Von Der Haar about, “the nature of her relationship with Mr. Papatheodoropoulos … the contents of email messages that Dr. Von Der Haar and Mr. Papatheodoropoulos had sent each other … [and] if she and Mr. Papatheodoropoulos were having sexual relations.”

Given that Mr. Papatheodoropoulos had retained his hard drive that contained the emails, the only way that the Customs and Border Protection Agents could have reviewed the emails is for someone to have surreptitiously monitored the communications between Dr. Von Der Haar and Mr. Papatheodoropoulos and reported those communications to the agents questioning her.

Defendant Lieba [the CBP agent] admitted that employees of the United States had read email communications between Dr. Von Der Haar and Mr. Papatheodoropoulos.

After reading this, its finally starting to sink in, we no longer have any privacy.

People can no longer be accused of being overly paranoid.

If you want to have the smallest amount of privacy, dont say it (whatever it may be) over the phone, in an email, near a microphone (in a pc or smart TV) or near a cell phone, even if your phone is off:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I remember when a president was forced to resign because he unlawfully spied on someone important...

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Oh so it starts. First they came for my neighbour and I said nothing. Or something like that.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I remember when a president was forced to resign because he unlawfully spied on someone important...

That was the cover story. The cover story doesn't entirely add-up. When you look into it, and people have, the whole thing gets very shaky.

It's very unexpected that any President would resign over any criminal act. Presidents, including Nixon have routinely committed treason. You would think that was the problem. Nope it was a bungled break-in. hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

this isn't anything new. they've been doing this since communication began. you think they didnt have a way to open letters read and copy them and they reseal them properly with wax seals and what not?

its just the level of stupidity on behalf of the people deciding to execute based on information that is new. most of the time the people caught up in it are so bad or just plain F'ed up that no one cares. its when you start going after ole Ms. hornball and Mr. poppadoffalous over here that people care.

the Gov just needs to go back into its hole and only reach out and gobble things/people up when its needed. thats the problem.. these different tools are needed from time to time.. just gotta get people in control of these tools we can trust.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I do not agree with it, but IU publicly states exactly what the policy is and the professors should not expect anything otherwise.

Moral: Use your personal email for personal matters.

Indiana University cherishes the diversity of values and perspectives inherent in an academic institution and is therefore respectful of intellectual freedom and freedom of expression. The university does not condone censorship, nor does it endorse the routine inspection of electronic files or monitoring of network activities related to individual use. At times, however, legitimate reasons exist for persons other than the account holder to access computers, electronic files, or data related to use of the University network, including but not limited to: ensuring the continued confidentiality, integrity, and availability of university systems and operations; securing user and system data; ensuring lawful and authorized use of university systems; providing appropriately de-identified data for institutionally approved research projects; and responding to valid legal requests or demands for access to university systems and records. This policy seeks to balance individual freedom and privacy with the need for access by persons other than the account holder when necessary to serve or protect other core values and operations within the university or to meet a legal requirement.

policies.iu.edu...
edit on 3/7/2014 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Man oh man, what an ordeal they put her through. I'm glad she sued.

It leaves me with a greater chill down my spine that I've had before. By providing a so-called state of security, it has robbed the citizens of their personal sense of security. There is no way I can cross over to the communal sense of well-being if my own individual sense is destroyed, as it now is. Damn them all.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This news is a bit old..but there are still some out there that are not aware..

I would only add that webcams are being added daily all over city streets watching you and storing it for later use..

diskplayers/recorders,
washer/dryers,
can openers,
refrigerators,
t.v's

more and more of the daily appliances you use now also come with mic's and webcams (sometimes both) and wifi Bluetooth
built in

they say its for convenience.. but

if they are collecting cell phone calls why would it be such a leep to think they may be recording your daily life just incase someday you want to run for some office.. they would already have years of dirt on you

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Big Brother is coming, Big Brother is coming! Wrong, he is already here. I got in a minor accident and they pulled all of my cell phone records including my texts. Good thing I do not text my drug dealer or my CL hooker or I may have lost the case that I otherwise won.

Good thing I do not murder people (or do drugs and hookers) because between license plate scanners, cell phones, social media, static IP's and emails I would likely get caught.

Those that do not live the narrow road are screwed if they find ever themselves in court. Big Brother knows when are when you were where, better than you do.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

And exactly how does that warrant the detaining and interrogation at the airport? Anyone care to explain that?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

dehumanization and depersonalization.

You need this in a collectivized system.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

i have alway's thought that snowden was a set up just look at the guy's m/o

to look at the people's reaction - or lack off as the case may be

are we marching on THE WHITE HOUSE - no just take it lying down .

now they know that we know and do not care enough to riot or call for sacking's.

head's should roll - but they will not as people are too dam lazy to do anything about it

and those people that were grilled were upmarket .

what is it going to be like for the lower classes

when the knock come's

top topics

join