It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unlock mystery of out-of-body experiences (aka astral trips)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Basically the brain scan results would indicate hallucinations. This matches up perfectly with what is known.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

michaelmcclen
Still has yet to explain how some people having obes can interact, retain, recollect and prove that two people can share an obe.

I was thinking that to when i read the article.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

It is real in the sense that she's actually experiencing it. brain scans show that she's going through what she's claiming. But that doesn't mean that her "soul" is getting out of her body. This is not an astral trip, like those described by mystics. There's no paranormal activity of any kind.

op source

I do not agree with this, how can someone that does not experience OBE or astral travel tell someone what they are experencing is just hallucinations but shes going through what shes claiming. Was she not claiming to be having an OBE. This article is a little contradictory.

I have had many OBE, 3 just yesterday. They are quite real and not hallcuinations but I am biased. I guess its a faith thing, no matter what anyone says I know whats real for me.

The fact is that, even while there aren't a lot of solid experiments on this subject except this research paper and a few others, scientists believe that these out-of-body experiences are a type of hallucination triggered by some neurological mechanism. The researchers of this paper speculate that this neurological mechanism may be present in other people too and that some people—like this woman—may train themselves to speculateactivate it. She told them that she first noticed this happening when she was a little kid, while taking naps.

They are just speculating anyway

edit on 18-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: highlight

edit on 18-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: highlight issues lol

edit on 18-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jennyfrenzy

Because no one having an OBE can give information gained from it. For instance cards are faced away, OBE happens, the person should be able to now see the cards, yet no one has EVER been able to do something like this. The information is always false. Hallucinations (which can be shared) easily exlain everything. If you think OBE are real talk to some researchers and do an experiment to prove them, so far no one can, there's a reason for it .. it's a hallucination.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I understand that it has "never been proven," yet as someone who has them, I do believe they are real and not hallucinations. I have had them validated by my husband on 2 occasions and on one occasion by 2 different coworkers. I saw and heard things that I should not have been able to if it was simply a hallucination. Since this was not done in a lab setting does that make it any less real?

Have you ever experienced and OBE?
edit on 19-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Jennyfrenzy

I understand that it has "never been proven," yet as someone who has them, I do believe they are real and not hallucinations. I have had them validated by my husband on 2 occasions and on one occasion by 2 different coworkers. I saw and heard things that I should not have been able to if it was simply a hallucination. Since this was not done in a lab setting does that make it any less real?

No, but I work in psychiatry, and that is the reason hallucinations can be so scary, they are 100% real to the person having them. So you would believe they are real, to you they are. They really aren't though. That's why every honest attempt to prove them to be real has failed, they are hallucinations of a sort. There is only 1 reason it can't be done in a lab setting, they aren't real. People have OBE, the information gathered from them is simply wrong. I encourage you to contact some psych departments at local universities and see if anyone is willing to do research. But, be ready to accept what you don't want to accept when it turns out to be hallucinations.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Jennyfrenzy

No, but I work in psychiatry, and that is the reason hallucinations can be so scary, they are 100% real to the person having them. So you would believe they are real, to you they are. They really aren't though. That's why every honest attempt to prove them to be real has failed, they are hallucinations of a sort. There is only 1 reason it can't be done in a lab setting, they aren't real. People have OBE, the information gathered from them is simply wrong. I encourage you to contact some psych departments at local universities and see if anyone is willing to do research. But, be ready to accept what you don't want to accept when it turns out to be hallucinations.

I encourage you to contact Thomas Campbell (a real world physicist that does work for NASA and author of My Big T.O.E) who in the early 70s did help prove through statistical analysis and real experimentation using scientific methodology in a laboratory setting that OBE's are not only real, but that two people or more can meet up 'outside' of the physical and confirm experiences together. Most lab settings ruin any chances of anyone having the experience because they don't know anything about the conditions that need to be met. Hallucinations are a poor excuse and explanation used by laboratories when they either don't know how to meet the right conditions, they don't have the patience, time, or money, or they simply don't want to provide the conditions needed. How about if I ask you to have a lucid dream on command? Can you do it? You might have a chance of it within ten tries if all the conditions are just right.. If you do the research you will find real, and strong evidence for this being a reality.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It should be fair to note that in psychiatry, there isn't anything like OOBe's within the framework of practicing psychiatry, except as false mental imagery.
I have discussed things of this nature in the past with a psychiatrist who said anything like an out of body experience or seeing ghosts, or paranormal and supernatural things aren't supported at all in these fields, and are referred to as "mental" issues rather than real events. Would this be correct?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

alienreality

It should be fair to note that in psychiatry, there isn't anything like OOBe's within the framework of practicing psychiatry, except as false mental imagery.
I have discussed things of this nature in the past with a psychiatrist who said anything like an out of body experience or seeing ghosts, or paranormal and supernatural things aren't supported at all in these fields, and are referred to as "mental" issues rather than real events. Would this be correct?

That's why they can never come to any real conclusions based on science, and make assumptions that include hallucinations or mental illness.. They don't know anything about the subject and don't care to look at the science that supports it. Then again, it's not expected of them, so why would they?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

spacemanjupiter

OccamsRazor04

Jennyfrenzy

I encourage you to contact Thomas Campbell (a real world physicist that does work for NASA and author of My Big T.O.E) who in the early 70s did help prove through statistical analysis and real experimentation using scientific methodology in a laboratory setting that OBE's are not only real, but that two people or more can meet up 'outside' of the physical and confirm experiences together. Most lab settings ruin any chances of anyone having the experience because they don't know anything about the conditions that need to be met. Hallucinations are a poor excuse and explanation used by laboratories when they either don't know how to meet the right conditions, they don't have the patience, time, or money, or they simply don't want to provide the conditions needed. How about if I ask you to have a lucid dream on command? Can you do it? You might have a chance of it within ten tries if all the conditions are just right.. If you do the research you will find real, and strong evidence for this being a reality.

Your entire premise is rendered moot by the fact this post is about an OBE in a lab setting. That means they can happen, and your claim is false. Good day.

ETA: I looked it up, and there is zero scientific backing, so this is evidence of nothing, sorry.
edit on 29-3-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

alienreality

More or less correct, and that is because there is ZERO evidence for them, and every time they attempt to prove it true or false they end up being false every time. If people understood more about the human brain then the ability to create these OBE would be no surprise at all.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

spacemanjupiter

alienreality

That's why they can never come to any real conclusions based on science, and make assumptions that include hallucinations or mental illness.. They don't know anything about the subject and don't care to look at the science that supports it. Then again, it's not expected of them, so why would they?

There is no science that supports it, none. If you think there is show me any peer reviewed research and I will look into it.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
OBEs are on the list of money up for grabs from the Randi foundation if someone can demonstrate gaining new information while astral projecting. $1,000,000 to the first astral projector who can prove themselves in a scientific setting.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join