It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama says no problem with gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The Dalai Lama says that there is no problem with gay marriage, thus putting his weight as a spiritual leader in favor of its growing worldwide legal acceptance.

news.yahoo.com...

"If two people -- a couple -- really feel that way is more practical, more sort of satisfaction, both sides fully agree, then okay," he told an online talk show by veteran radio and television host Larry King.

The Dalai Lama said though that people should still follow their own religions' rules on sexuality.

"But then for a non-believer, that is up to them. So there are different forms of sex -- so long (as it is) safe, okay, and (if both people) fully agree, okay," the Dalai Lama said in English.

That quote reads as if he wouldn't object to the business of prostitution either.
edit on 7-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Pretty smart guy. "Weighs" in without taking sides. He concludes one sentence:

…and was ultimately "individual business."

I read that he says "…and its none of my business". Hopefully more people get that out of the experience than start waving flags and cheering for our side.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I wish he would speak out against extremists Buddhists in Sri Lanka and other places, as a Buddhist, it saddens me that these people consider themselves Guardians of the Dhamma.

Glad he has made this point to the world though.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The Dalai Lama said though that people should still follow their own religions' rules on sexuality.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

LesMisanthrope

Let's not forget that part. He was saying, don't be a hipocrite, follow your own rules. I take that as also saying, "Don't bash the beliefs and doings of others when they are following their own religion" all the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Marriage is defined as between husband and wife...just saying
aside from that no problems with what adults choose to do in their own lives.

Anyway, has the Dali lamba ever said anything controversial that goes against mainstream popularity.

Leader of a feudal system that persecuted the poor, what a conspiracy that is

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It seems the momentum of gay marriage increases daily, although the line will be drawn in some of the nations and cultures which wouldn't hear of such a thing. The next Dalai Lama, once the Chinese pick him (why not her?), might end up agreeing to polygamy in Europe and North America before he (or she) is done.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (to paraphrase Jerry and George).

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

LesMisanthrope

Many religions allow polygamy, so maybe I wasn't so far off with that.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Just a heads up, definitions of words change all the time. I mean do you still refer to your cigarettes as fags?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Why not? Fag has a lot of definitions, and the one we're all familiar with is only slang.

It's like asking is we should stop calling donkeys asses because some people are uncomfortable with the slang meaning that goes along with it nowadays.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Buddhism is basically more a philosophy than it is a religion. So, that explains most of what he's saying.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Good for the Dalai Lama - Notice his stance is one of peace and understanding instead of the same old weathered verses of hate and uproar.

I dont really care that marriage is traditionally for just one man and one woman. Society has evolved and our culture and institutions MUST evolve with it for the sake of positive progression.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It would be more accurate to say that the spirits which possess the state oracle of Tibet approve of gay marriage.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I would think that gay marriage would be okay in religions that believe in reincarnation.
A husband wife team in a past life might find themselves both women in this one. Or both men in this one.
If they are 'soul mates' or their souls are still in love from the past life, then they'll want to be together.
Religions that believe in reincarnation say that people come back changing gender as needed.
So gay marriage makes sense for them .... I'd think.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're right, and that's a take on this I've never thought of before. Reincarnated soul-mates, switching bodies around like summer clothes, making their ways in the worlds, always finding each other no matter this life's costume.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
It would be more accurate to say that the spirits which possess the state oracle of Tibet approve of gay marriage.

I've never heard of this before either, the state oracles, divination with eggs, if the Dalai Lama himself wasn't in the vid I'd have thought it was a satire. Besides the "wha?" factor, the best thing I got from the vid was a look at how the Lama lives in his own house. Nice stuff. He's making his beads, walking on his porch, an interesting table of books. The oracles though, yep, strange doings.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

borntowatch
Marriage is defined as between husband and wife...just saying

Defined by whom? (not jumping down your throat here, just using your tongue as a diving board...)

The concept of marriage is not the creation of any single religion or culture. It predates all and is observed by most.

What right then does anyone have to define it?

More to the point, what right do they have to force that definition on others?

To define who and how someone else can love is nothing short of Fascism, quite frankly...

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

The next Dalai Lama, once the Chinese pick him (why not her?), might end up agreeing to polygamy in Europe and North America before he (or she) is done.

He didn't agree to anything. He said its none of his business. Refusing to get sucked into political ideologies (or religious ones) shows his strength…

Not that theres anything wrong with that, imo.

regards,

intrptr

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The Dalai Lama says that there is no problem with gay marriage, thus putting his weight as a spiritual leader in favor of its growing worldwide legal acceptance.

Reiterating-- he refused to take sides stating its ultimately a personal choice (from the link provided). The man understands its not his place to pass judgement on his fellow mankind for their personal decisions.

Something we in the west have forgotten how not to do a long time ago.

I am so glad I am above worrying about what consenting adults do behind closed doors.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yes I call my cigarettes, fags.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join