It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignoring...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I still wish the ignore button could be brought back. Ever argued with someone face to face that keeps on interrupting you, without letting you explain what you want to explain? Always diverting what you're trying to say by changing the subject rather than sticking to the matter at hand? That's what basically happens in this forum day in and day out.

In real life, you can choose to not discuss certain things with certain people. You can literally avoid the subject all together when they're around, or simply not be around them. In this place, if you're interested in a particular topic, the same flamers will inevitably join over and over and over again, without having the ability to properly ignore them. That annoys the jlkjasnckljna out of me.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

In this place, if you're interested in a particular topic, the same flamers will inevitably join over and over and over again, without having the ability to properly ignore them.

Guess it depends on the forums you're talking about. I haven't noticed any particular consistent flames from anyone myself.

I would expect that people who post a position be able to back it up to some extent. Obviously in some forums such as paranormal that may be a little difficult though.

FWIW we all have a built in ignore button. Just ignore the people who irritate you.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I suppose if you recognize it's the same posters, you could just scroll down to the next reply and ignore them that way. I am actually interested in what everyone has to say myself even if I may not agree with them.

You may be pleasantly surprised somewhere down the road where the very people you wanted to ignore actually have other things in common with you.

edit on 6-3-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I find certain people on ATS to be ignorant, biased and even annoying, but even so, I would not choose to ignore them.

If we are truly to learn from our world and grow from our experiences then we must embrace those uncomfortable moments when we are being annoyed as challenges.

I don't believe we can grow as humans if we surround ourselves in a cocoon of comfort. Our greatest growth occurs when challenged or even when being annoyed.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I've come across a couple of folks I do tend to ignore. After a while I find their profile data blanked out completely.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

Was it me ? My signature says it all, so you can expect that.
Oh, as usual, I disagree with the Ignore button - I dont know why I should agree / disagree, but flame away!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The ignore button was a cop out IMO.

If you don't want to engage with a member, simply don't engage. Nobody forces anybody to press post.

I have a few members that I simply can't go toe to toe with anymore, because we are both wasting our time trying to make each other understand how we feel or think.

So I silently respect their opinions, although disagreeing with them. I don't need to convince every person who I think is wrong of the truth.

Besides, I'm mostly just as much on the wrong side as my opponents.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles wisely.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The ignore button was a cop out IMO.

I used to agree and do understand your point. It is petty to allow members to get under our skin and we have the ability to ignore them for the most part. However for me, there are 4 or 5 members here that stir up so much animosity, seeming to revel in it, and they are continuous hypocrites lambasting this and that yet doing the EXACT same thing, over and over. This is insulting and destructive and if I had the ignore choice, I would exercise it because just seeing their name/avatar makes me cringe at times. I have thought about jumping ship before because of the daily political discourse on the boards. So yes, I miss the ignore function but will suck it up and continue forward, focusing on the good, funny and enlightening activity from our members.

peace

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Sounds like there are T&C infractions that are going unreported to staff if you feel that strongly about it.

Yes there are member who are capable of creating discord while flying just below the T&C. But that can only last so long before staff look at the overall impact on the community.

Alerting behavior that is considered harmful to the overall board is just as valid as a direct T&C violation alert. I'm not saying to spam complaints with everything you disagree with though, but I think you understand the kind of content I'm talking about.

~Tenth
edit on 3/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Metallicus
I find certain people on ATS to be ignorant, biased and even annoying, but even so, I would not choose to ignore them.

If we are truly to learn from our world and grow from our experiences then we must embrace those uncomfortable moments when we are being annoyed as challenges.

I don't believe we can grow as humans if we surround ourselves in a cocoon of comfort. Our greatest growth occurs when challenged or even when being annoyed.

Even though I get what you're saying, after explaining multiple times, in many different ways, that 1 + 1 = 2, and they keep coming back saying that 1 + 1 = 3, and that they have already refuted that it's 2 and start calling names, there's not much learning left to be done. It's an exercise in patience, so that I don't end up ranting in the rant section.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

Just learn to ignore those who argue and irritate you....its a bit hard at 1st because we all want to defend our positions...but they will continue on and on and on without letting up...Im learning too. And I know I have to be ticking some off as well...so Im trying all the way around to gain respect....and be a little respect-ful to others in the process!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
With the amount of mentally unstable people here....i want the ignore button back as well.
The amount of times i shake my head and say...what a dip**** justifies my opinion.

Besides,I like the saying,arguing with a moron only brings you down the their level.

Bring the ignore button back....so I don't even have to be tempted to go down to their level.

I try to ignore the doofus's but when you have to actually see them and what dumb crap they post...I would rather not see them at all.

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!

I rarely get posts pulled because I try to abide by the rules so I think I have proven my patience...and its wearing thin alot of days.
Would you rather pull my posts or would you rather help me in order to help you?
There might be less infractions of the T&C because of it.

edit on 7-3-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Would you rather pull my posts or would you rather help me in order to help you?

Either way I'd be holding you accountable for your own posting behavior. Just because we don't allow you to ignore people, doesn't justify breaking the T&C for any reason.

Nobody forces you to press post.

I've written quite a few threads and replies in a word pad document that never ended up on the boards because I wrote them in frustration. I still wrote them out, even when I knew I'd never post them, because it did make me feel a whole lot better.

Maybe something for you to try?!

I don't expect that a member of such a high caliber, like yourself to fall prey to petty trolls and the ignorant though. I hope I'm not wrong in thinking that

~Tenth
edit on 3/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I've written quite a few threads and replies in a word pad document that never ended up on the boards because I wrote them in frustration.

I do the same thing,told a mod just last week that i had a thread I was going to do but it didn't pass my filter to make it to the boards.

I don't expect that a member of such a high caliber, like yourself to fall prey to petty trolls and the ignorant though. I hope I'm not wrong in thinking that

Thank you for the compliment and you are not wrong in thinking that.

Sometimes it just gets hard to deal with some of the garbage people post because they DON'T have that filter.
I love the site...and maybe 25% of the members,the rest,I would rather not see but can still try to be nice to all.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What might be helpful here is including a unique star which sits at the end of he green stars and is say colour blue, and when you see it in a post you know that the OP flagged your post he/she liked what you had to say ( so the blue star is a unique identifier for the OP). The present system this isn't obvious without reading through thread and it could be a long thread, and most people like me read only a sample of posts. Therefore if you agree with OP and you only want to read the posts he starred blue and you can zero in on them quick. The green stars would of course still be there but they were made by the thread posters.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You should try being one of us for a few days

It gives you a whole different appreciation of this place!

(Glad I'm not wrong
)

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
remind me whats the point of a forum.

Also, self control, I mean you could always just skip a persons post and thereby "ignore" them.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Caring about stars and flags is kind of a problem...it encourages trolls.

YAY!!!!
I got 20 flags and 15 stars....I'm important now....i shall post 3 more threads that are retarded and hope I get more.

I said it once this week and will say it again.
Being popular on the internet is the same as sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria of a mental hospital.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I'd rather wash my "boys" in turpentine.
The amount of crap you guys and gals must see....I would be doing an eternal facepalm.

edit on 7-3-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

If you read what I said carefully its simply proposing a tracking star so people can see what the Op liked. Some people may completely side with the OP and this will be good for them so they can ignore the trolls.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join