It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Roc Snot' indestation caused by Climate Change, Study Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is interesting. It seems that Algae called 'Roc Snot' but scientifically termed Didymo has been aggressively encroaching into territory where it doesn't naturally thrive. Those locations include the United States, New Zealand, Europe and Canada in recent decades.

"A pesky species of algae — sometimes called "rock snot" due to the way its tendrils attach to rocks in waterways — is infiltrating parts of eastern Canada due to global warming and not accidental introductions from humans tromping around, a new study suggests."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Do you mean " infestation ' ?

Agricultural border checks or quarantines would stop "people tromping around" from being a problem.
Not sure if climate change can be reversed though.

How is this problematic? Does it have a natural enemy? ( you only mentioned it being "pesky".)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Holy cow!
Every day they discover something new and "SUGGEST" its caused by global warming!
Have they done any research to find out if there could be another cause?
How about the fact that chemical fertilisers are being detcted in the air that we breath? Could those fertilisers be the cause? after all, they are designed to make things grow!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Doesn't algae reduce the oxygen in the water? It doesn't really mention that in the article. If so, that would be a bad thing.

But I'm also wondering, can this algae be harvested for fuel? That seems to be the next big thing according to the press.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Timely

Do you mean " infestation ' ?

Agricultural border checks or quarantines would stop "people tromping around" from being a problem.
Not sure if climate change can be reversed though.

How is this problematic? Does it have a natural enemy? ( you only mentioned it being "pesky".)

Pesky is a term the article writer used to describe the growth of Roc Snot.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

TDawgRex
Doesn't algae reduce the oxygen in the water? It doesn't really mention that in the article. If so, that would be a bad thing.

But I'm also wondering, can this algae be harvested for fuel? That seems to be the next big thing according to the press.

I think you may be correct but I'm not sure.

new topics

top topics

join