It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture Of Baby With Hands On Rifle Causes Stir

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You can feel and think someone is irresponsible, but they and/or others might not agree with you. Then what happens?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

~Lucidity

Well, first of all, I didn't say anyone was trying to control anyone per se. I asked that they didn't.

But second of all, don't we all really know that ultimately this is all about power and control? Telling others how to live or forcing them to live a certain way that you believe is right because you believe it is right? Some would call that society to a degree, but how do we define society or more importantly, how do we define when society goes overboard.

Who is trying to force who though? I havent seen anybody do anything of the sort (outside of a few foolish facebook posts...which, lets be honest, are irrelevant to the real world).

Like I said early on in the thread, im not trying to crucify the man that took this picture. But from my perspective, it is irresponsible.

The only people I see 'forcing' anything here are those that are forcing the idea that questioning anything about guns is wrong...

link   

captaintyinknots
reply to post by butcherguy

Ugh. This is pathetic. Please, if you want to attack what Ive said, go and read what I have said. You are picking and choosing small snippets and then presenting them out of context.

And you wonder why I accuse you of lying. Intellectual dishonesty is more accurate.

For the last time: I AM SPEAKING OF RESPONSIBILITY, not of any immediate danger shown in the pic. Ive said it a dozen times now. If you want to keep trying to twist what Ive said, go for it.

that's right.
You said that you never spoke about safety, only responsibility.

So I highlighted where you specifically said "General gun safety".

Who is dishonest?

Maybe if you keep throwing out the insults about so many people on this thread being 'obtuse', we will all go away, eh?

link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Free speech grants me the right to speak my opinion. I'm sure you would like to take that away from me.

Being inappropriate is entirely based on judgement. Putting a tool of violence in the hands of a child that is even to young to know what it is is without a doubt inappropriate, just as a bag of drugs, a bottle or booze a sex toy would be. Stamping your feet and trying to shout me down will never change that fact.

I love the way you say don't pass judgement and then pass judgement on me in the very next sentence..hypocrisy much?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

~Lucidity

You can feel and think someone is irresponsible, but they and/or others might not agree with you. Then what happens?
Isnt that the overall point here? I think he is irresponsible, and i think things like this harm the image of responsible gun owners.

Then what happens? Nothing. people continue to do foolish things with guns and then whine about it when criticized, all while not understanding why the public is being so easily swayed that guns are bad.

The only reason I even bothered to come to this thread is that I thought maybe, just maybe, there would be a few out there that would understand that image and culture surrounding these things is VERY important, and that pics like this HARM the cause more than help it.

I was obviously wrong.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Who is dishonest?
You are, absolutely.

Again, if youd like to go back and look at what I actually said, in context, and then discuss it, thats awesome. But I cant really discuss with a person who is dishonest and tries to present my words in a context other than what they were said.

So, by all means, twist, twist, twist away. But debating things that I didnt actually say (contextually) is moot, and pointless.

If it makes you feel like youve proven something, carry on.

If you want to talk about what I actually said, then lets have at it.

As for insults, saying you arent this obtuse is not an insult. Beyond that, the only insults I see are the ones aimed at me, calling me a pansy or accusing me of being a shill. But hey, why worry about the truth?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Quit saying tool of violence!!!

That applies to any object!

My long range rifles are for punching paper. My benelli trap gun is for shooting skeet and trap not people. I use my AR and others for 3 gun competition.

None of these firearms haver EVER been a "tool of violence". Theses fists? Well that's a different story.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Well you could prove me wrong when I show how you are being dishonest.
Instead, you cop out with this lame excuse:

. But I cant really discuss with a person who is dishonest and tries to present my words in a context other than what they were said. 

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

An explosion of gunpowder and a bullet hitting anything is a violent act, guns are for shooting..there is simply no away to deny that. It is a tool of violence and inappropriate to put in the hands of a child and then photograph it.

Im not even against owning a gun..but the people who took that picture have some serious problems.

edit on 7-3-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

And like I said, I didn't say anyone WAS trying to force anyone (not here in this thread anyway and not yet).

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I would rather move "the cause" to being one of not interfering in other peoples lives.

I mentioned earlier my wifes viewpoint that the issue with this is more about a culture where people think they need to share even the most mundane aspects of their lives with the world. They invite people in to criticize them. That is what our social media world, Facebook primarily (but there are many others), has given us.

I came on too hard at you. I allowed frustration for positions that you don't really take spill over into our interaction. My apologies.

But my position on this is firm: life gets a whole lot easier (and likely less divisive) when we just butt out of each others business. Just think of how many "hot button" issues that would fix. The drug problem. The issue on gay marriage. This thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

butcherguy

Well you could prove me wrong when I show how you are being dishonest.
Instead, you cop out with this lame excuse:

. But I cant really discuss with a person who is dishonest and tries to present my words in a context other than what they were said. 

How many times do you want me to clarify? Go read my posts in this thread, then, if you still dont get it, ill try to break it down in simpler terms (though Im not sure how).

You are trying to bait me into defending a position that I dont hold. its kinda pathetic.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Free speech grants me the right to speak my opinion. I'm sure you would like to take that away from me.

Being inappropriate is entirely based on judgement. Putting a tool of violence in the hands of a child that is even to young to know what it is is without a doubt inappropriate, just as a bag of drugs, a bottle or booze a sex toy would be. Stamping your feet and trying to shout me down will never change that fact.

I love the way you say don't pass judgement and then pass judgement on me in the very next sentence..hypocrisy much?

I said exactly the opposite of what you read.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Your ignorance is appalling. I work in the firearm industry. I know which firearms are made for what purspose.

Your wrong....period....done.

PhoenixOD
reply to post by TiedDestructor

A and explosion of gunpowder and a bullet hitting anything is a violent act, guns are for shooting..there is simply no away to deny that. It is a tool of violence and inappropriate to put in the hands of a child and then photograph it.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I would rather move "the cause" to being one of not interfering in other peoples lives.

I mentioned earlier my wifes viewpoint that the issue with this is more about a culture where people think they need to share even the most mundane aspects of their lives with the world. They invite people in to criticize them. That is what our social media world, Facebook primarily (but there are many others), has given us.

I came on too hard at you. I allowed frustration for positions that you don't really take spill over into our interaction. My apologies.

But my position on this is firm: life gets a whole lot easier (and likely less divisive) when we just butt out of each others business. Just think of how many "hot button" issues that would fix. The drug problem. The issue on gay marriage. This thread.
I dont disagree with any of the things you say here.

but in the end, thats the problem with the conversation at hand. I cant question ANYTHING about guns or gun owners (even though I am one) without being attacked as having an agenda, or being a pansy, or any of the other dozen accusations lobbed at me in this thread.

At no point did I say this guy should not be allowed to do this, or should get in trouble for it. I spoke my view on it. And, frankly, isnt that why the person put the picture up? To get attention?

I do appreciate the apology though.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Guns are only violent in the mind or in the hands of a violent person.

To me, they are a way to put food in my belly, and a way to pass the time with some sporting marksmanship. Those Saturday afternoon's spent with my son over the intermittent crack of high powered rifles were the cement that bound our relationship. The same could be said with my older son, and the weekends I spent lumbering around the tennis courts with him, pursuing his passion with him.

Violence is a human act. It isn't an act of an inanimate object. Inanimate objects don't act. Violence is an action.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The guns only use is one of destruction , which is a violent act. They destroy whatever they are shot at.

Sure not everyone who has one is a bad person or does bad things. I'm not saying people shouldn't own guns. I really enjoy shooting when i visit America. But it has no purpose being in a picture with a tiny baby. Its simply inappropriate.

Something dose not have to be immediately dangerous to be inappropriate. Imagine a picture of a baby with some big rubber vibrating sex toy...harmless but entirely inappropriate.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

ill try to break it down in simpler terms

That is all I asked for in the post that you replied to here.

(though Im not sure how).

Show me how I quoted you out of context where you specifically cited safety.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

butcherguy

ill try to break it down in simpler terms

That is all I asked for in the post that you replied to here.

(though Im not sure how).

Show me how I quoted you out of context where you specifically cited safety.

Man, Im not playing this game. Go read my posts in the thread. If you struggle to comprehend the context, even after I have spelled it out a dozen times, theres not much I can do for you.

My original post in this thread, which has been been the view I have held throughout:

I am pro gun, but are we really trying to defend someone who is so irresponsible with their weapon as to leave it within arms reach of an infant?
See that word? IRRESPONSIBLE. Notice i never said unsafe? notice I never said anything about danger? Notice that I ONLY spoke of responsibility?

The "basic gun safety" quote that you are trying so hard to push out of context WAS A RESPONSE TO ANOTHER POSTER who was speaking about where the gun was pointed (and I even said, multiple times, that where it was pointed was irrelevant to what I was saying).

Now, if you want to talk about the topic, lets do it. But im done with this silly game you are playing of trying to discredit me by lying.
edit on 7-3-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Char-Lee

SonoftheSun

Ok then. Please tell us, what could have happened here?

For that little moment the baby had it in front of him while everyone was watching...what could have happened?
edit on 3 6 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing a word

Germs "shiver"...the thing is in a store touched by who knows who...I am see GERMS!!

Haha..good answer !!!

Thank God no one answered "Oh..he could've picked up a bullet somewhere and..you know..put it in the rifle and..you know..shoot his dad or sumtin.." @@

Funny thread !

edit on 3 7 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing words

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join