It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture Of Baby With Hands On Rifle Causes Stir

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The only thing more awesome than that image would be if the baby had a suitcase nuke ....LOL!!! Oh the irony!!! our human condition in a nutshell!!!...

Awesome photo ...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

a suitcase nuke isn't used to put food on the table. a bolt action rifle is.

Hyperbole, while funny, is not logic.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Decent gun. A product of its age, for sure. Like the Mosin, it is a little rough on the shoulder.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I don't care it's a gun, I care it's a weapon placed over a very small child. Gun, Knife, Sword, Vile of Anthrax, 700lb alligator.. You just don't put these things with children. Sure, it could be harmless but why mix them ?

There is absolutely no necessary reason to put a gun over a child.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

captaintyinknots

It isnt whether or not it was a danger at this particular moment. It is about RESPONSIBLE HANDLING OF WEAPONS. This is irresponsible, whether or not it is dangerous.

How is this irresponsible handling of a weapon? I think the father was quite responsible as he didn't give the child a loaded weapon. Irresponsible would have been if he sat a loaded rifle in the infants lap. The only problem I see is that the father took a picture of it and posted it on a social network, where people like you can have an aneurysm about it. I understand where you're coming from with treating every weapon as if it's loaded, and you're correct, but come on! The bolt being open makes it obvious the father made sure the rifle was safe before setting it in the child's lap.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by captaintyinknots

My god man. It's a metal rod with a wooden handle.

Fine, I'll swap the words back. In what way is it irresponsible?

It's not a metal rod with a wooden handle it's a metal tube with a wooden handle. Rods are solid and it would be kind of hard to fire a bullet through a solid rod.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

buster2010

thisguyrighthere

It's not a metal rod with a wooden handle it's a metal tube with a wooden handle. Rods are solid and it would be kind of hard to fire a bullet through a solid rod.

It'd be hard to drive a vehicle without gasoline. Would you place a child in the drivers seat if the tank was bone dry? I would. Why the heck not? I let my toddler in my race car all the time. No keys....no go no where lol.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

TiedDestructor

buster2010

thisguyrighthere

It'd be hard to drive a vehicle without gasoline. Would you place a child in the drivers seat if the tank was bone dry? I would. Why the heck not? I let my toddler in my race car all the time. No keys....no go no where lol.

You do know the first cars ran on steam right? I wouldn't let the kid play race car driver with a dry tank if the car was parked on a hill. Everyone doesn't drive a automatic some of us drive older cars that have standard transmissions that doesn't have the safety features that the new cars have. So all the kid would have to do is pop the car out of gear and it's off they go.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

buster2010

TiedDestructor

buster2010

thisguyrighthere

You do know the first cars ran on steam right? I wouldn't let the kid play race car driver with a dry tank if the car was parked on a hill. Everyone doesn't drive a automatic some of us drive older cars that have standard transmissions that doesn't have the safety features that the new cars have. So all the kid would have to do is pop the car out of gear and it's off they go.

And in line with your analogy the gun was loaded and cocked, and the father placed his finger in the trigger well, while aiming at his own face right?

Why make your example as stupid as possible?

It reduces your credibility substantially, hyperbole is useless on all but the inept.

None of us save a few are inept.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I don't care it's a gun, I care it's a weapon placed over a very small child. Gun, Knife, Sword, Vile of Anthrax, 700lb alligator.. You just don't put these things with children.

Think of them as small caliber alligators. Don't freak out now.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

buster2010

TiedDestructor

buster2010

thisguyrighthere

Well good god in a perfect storm I suppose anything could happen. That's why I use practical logic.

Take an electric weed eater and cut the cord. Now is there a chance you could use it again? Sure. Rewire the cord and whack away. Now would you fear leaving the weed eater with an infant with the cord cut? As if there is even a faint possibility that the child can rewire it and wreak havoc?

All while under the immediate supervision of adults like in the original story?

See where I'm going???

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

This boils my blood,those dirty fingers are smudging up the glass on the scope.

To the poster who sarcastically said start them young.
Why not start safety at a young age they want to teach kids about all types of sex ed these days in the name of safety so why not with guns?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Hijinx

I don't care it's a gun, I care it's a weapon placed over a very small child. Gun, Knife, Sword, Vile of Anthrax, 700lb alligator.. You just don't put these things with children.

Think of them as small caliber alligators. Don't freak out now.

I wouldnt put me or my kids with these things, but who am I to judge or decide these things?

I kinda fear alligators though. Honestly once I was in Mississippi and talking it up about how " I am like crocodile hunter, let me see one, I will make it my bitch" (all the while hoping to find a little baby I could bully, it was right after they start hatching so I was told), Well one night while sitting on the earthen dam to a large pond with a lovely young local, she had brought a flashlight with her. I asked as I carried the case of beer, what the flashlight was for, she said " wait till we have had a couple of beers "crocodile hunter" while laughing kind of menacingly.

So we have a couple beers and she says," want me to scare you?" I say " ya sure". she turns on the flashlight and there was half circle of alligators all about 7 to 8 feet away from the bank, out in the water, watching, waiting, hoping for a chance.

We were only a few feet off the edge of the water, maybe 4 max.

I didnt even see the water ripple as they were coming closer to us.

So I was scared out of my [expletive deleted], she walks down to the waters edge to my horror, and dips her hand into the water, looks back and says "whats wrong croc hunter?" as she smiles.

For the next few days before I left all the locals would smile when they saw me, and make comments about how they would give their 8 year old daughter a pocket knife to take care of them little 5 footers for me.

In all honesty, I dont even think the ones I saw were 5 foot, maybe 4, but even then, they might as well have been 13 footers, as I was not going near them.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If all the whiny things the left tell us are true, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for us to have made it this far. You people need to find the nuts God gave you (if you haven't already snipped them) and knock off the heart bleeding dramatics.

The only way their bull crap against guns finds traction is because they spent decades portraying sensible gun people as low IQ, backwoods, retards. But what do I know, apparently guns have minds of their own and an agenda. That agenda is to kill, loaded or not I guess. Thank God you liberals are there to protect us retards from ourselves!

And look at the time. The nationally mandated practice of putting on our safety helmets is upon us. Buckle-up your chin straps folks and give thanks to our tireless protectors.
edit on 6-3-2014 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Absolutely nothing wrong with that frozen moment of time known as a photograph. Hell, look at the cute baby. The little girl looks so happy. And for the record she is lucky to have a father that works hard to provide a healthy upbringing for her.

I am a reasonable person. Yet I cannot understand all the nonsense that people are spewing about this photo. It was benign. Nothing happened. She was safe every moment the weapon was resting on the carrier and it was literally only moments! This event shows how rabidly berserk of a state people can work themselves into over nothing! Take that sample comment you posted in the OP. That person wants the livelihood of store owner taken away, wants the father of the child in jail, and wants the child to be a ward of state over a photograph!

Stories like these make me think western society is screwed. There are people getting worked up into zeal over this. Society has real problems that need being attended too. Yet these problems remain obscure to many because they spend their time criticizing a father for acting like a father and providing for and taking care of the girl.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
There is nothing irresponsible about this picture. Nothing at all.

It can be asserted by some of my highly respected peers at ATS that there is, and with that we will not find agreement. Because there is nothing wrong with the picture.

There is so little wrong with it that I wonder why it is even being discussed. I gave my 13 year old (at the time) a 9mm sidearm to carry with him while he went to hunt in his own blind. When he shot a hog, he pulled his sidearm to put a "finish" round in him. Then radio'd me to tell me about his success (i heard the shots and already knew).

There is just nothing wrong with it.

Looks like the main issue is the interpretation of the word "irresponsible", so it seems some people here consider irresponsible anything that remotely looks like danger, even if it is clearly not, for example, it would be irresponsible to leave a loaded gun around a 5 o7 year old kid who can easily shoot himself or someone around, there's a possible consequence to leaving the firearm around the kid, so it is irresponsible.

However, it is not irresponsible to leave the kid next to an inanimate object that can do no harm, because it is unloaded, and the only human being that is near is a baby who can barely rest on his back, plus there are grown ups around. There are no consequences here, no one can and will get hurt because of a baby sitting around a dead piece of metal, it would be more dangerous to say, leave the kid around a knife or screwdriver, THAT would be irresponsible.

By the way, my grandfather was on the army and he made sure we knew how to handle 9mm, .45, .38, .380 and a few other things like the AK-47, AR-15 and variations, .22 rifle and even a Winchester 30-30 from 189something that he inherited and always kept in optimal conditions, i consider this something great and i'm happy i was able to go through this experience, i don't see anything bad about this.

I believe it is a great thing growing up like that, we had a lot of fun and never had any accident or anything remotely approaching that, you must be very proud of your son and i'm sure he feels the same way about you than i feel about my grand father, i just can't see the wrong here, some people are just going too far looking for a reason to hate.

Anyway..
edit on 6-3-2014 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

There is nothing irresponsible about this picture

This is a good example of what's wrong with our country. Our society is degenerating to cavemen.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

CB328

This is a good example of what's wrong with our country. Our society is degenerating to cavemen.

Then get a time machine and tell all the parents of yesteryear how terrible they were. My Grandfather and uncles were hunting at a very young age and actually working for wage a bit later. They grew up to become what is known as the greatest generation ever, but I guess they should of been learning how to pee sitting down.

The bulk of the real men in this country died fighting and thus never passed down enough genes. The rest we see are leftovers from the pansy lineage. I'd much rather be a caveman then a pansy.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is what happens when you arm babies.
Watch and take heed good people of America, this happened during the 70's in the UK and you will be next.

You have been warned.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

CB328

The concept of cavemen is a folly. But your obvious paleontological ignorance aside, I wouldn't expect you would find a lot of people that think I am dumb, don't have well thought out positions, etc, etc. The majority of the gun advocates in this thread are the same: intelligent and well spoken.

Then you come in with a dumb insult like that. And completely miss the irony of what it is you are actually asserting.

Nice avatar. LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join