It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama Opens US Senate Session With Prayer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
China got uptight when Obama hosted the Dalai Lama at the White House few weeks back.
Having the Dalai Lama pray with the US Senate before a session will tick China off again.
I'd rather see nothing officially religious going on in the senate.
Anyways .. I thought you all might be interested in this ..

ABC - Dalai Lama Opens US Senate Session With Prayer - March 6, 2014

With dozen of lawmakers listening raptly, the Nobel laureate from Tibet opened the session with his favorite prayer and words of advice. He delivered his brief remarks in both a foreign tongue as well as self-described "broken English."

"With our thoughts, we make our world," said the Dalai Lama, dressed in gold and red robes. "Our mind is central and precedes our deeds. Speak or act with a pure mind and happiness will follow you like a shadow that never leaves."

He hoped for joy in the world and good fortune.

Offering his favorite prayer, he said that "as long as space remains and as long as sentient beings remain, until then may I, too, remain and help dispel the misery of the world."

Senators bowed their heads as the Dalai Lama prayed. Staff filled the back rows of the chamber and visitors observed from the gallery above. The opening session drew more people than a typical start to the Senate day.

Also carried here -
Washington Post
Time

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't give a snip what China thinks about our politics and the D.L. Good guy from every interview I have seen.

But

I do agree with you on the no religion in our politics mindset. I think however this has been going on since perhaps the beginning of the country, so might be tradition (some sort of prayer or shout out to deities/spirit), in which case, I don't see that leaving soon. Well, until some Imam has equal airtime and the conservatives flip out and demand no more religion in politics. heh.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Of course they'll take old Tenzin Gyatso. The guy has full backing from the CIA.

I don't really support China but in this case I can understand why they're uptight - talk about bias. They open the ceremony with the guy they've been funding for years.

edit on 6-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There are those moments when a simple man from a simple place is really the best reminder you can be given of exactly why the Senate holds those meetings. Remind them of who the small people are, where they come from and what they dream of, and help them keep those people in mind as they confer.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I like the Dalai Lama. I really do. And his prayer was wonderful. And the senate liked having him there. My concern is that if one religion is given time there, then the next thing you know we'll be having all the others doing their thing. And those others have issues ....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well I believe our country was founded on Christian principles and values.

The constitution says we shall make no laws governing religion. I doesnt say anything about praying or prayers in congress, nor does it ban the 10 commandments being displayed anywhere on public grounds. It just says we cant make laws for or against it.

And by the way, a Muslim has opened the congress with prayer

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The opening of senate and house is always with a prayer and every single president speech to nation ends with a prayer .

Watch cspan the daily opening of business begins with prayer, usually guests give prayer as honor.

Opening prayers have been local school kids from a private Christian school.

My old alma mater Youth Christian School in greater Atlanta area was invited couple years back, although I graduated back in late 80s I luckily didn't have to go through public school

People get all antsy, but every president speech ends in prayer and every branch of government begins its day in prayer, there is also a bible in congress.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Every prayer by a buddhist or a muslim is to satan and is implicitly asking the devil to curse the senate. Yes that sounds harsh, but is easily shown from scriptures, which are proven to be true. As the US continues to slide into the moral abyss, it's judgment is not far off. Putin has his bombers ready and Obama has his no second strike policy. It's a match made in hell.

This country has just a short time left. How will you respond?

new topics

top topics

join