It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill to Make the Fine $0 for Violating the Individual Mandate Passes by 90 Votes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The House of Representatives passed legislation Wednesday afternoon to make the fine/“tax” for violating Obamacare’s individual mandate $0 for this year, and it did so by the wide margin of 90 votes (250 to 160). That’s 83 more than the 7-vote margin (219 to 212) by which Obamacare passed the House four Marches ago. Moreover, 27 Democrats voted for today’s legislation—27 more than the number of Republicans who voted for Obamacare when it passed. In all, 223 Republicans voted for today’s bill, while only one—Paul Broun of Georgia—voted against it. Here’s the member-by-member tally for the vote.

And that's wonderful......except:

But it also relies on lawlessness—a fact that is becoming more apparent by the day. Within hours of threatening to veto this legislative change to Obamacare, Obama announced that he is again making an executive change to Obamacare, in plain defiance of the legislative text, the rule of law, and the constitutional separation of powers. No wonder left-leaning constitutional scholar Jonathan Turley says that we are at “a constitutional tipping point” and that Congress must act to stop this president’s “dangerous,” “destabilizing” “aggregation of power.”

link to source

These Chicago/Gangster politics need to stop. At what point do we as Americans stand up and tell this clown we have had enough? Even his own party is seeing the light.

edit to add: May the will of the people be damned.
edit on 6-3-2014 by network dude because: added pissed off statement.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The only light his own party is seeing is because of the upcoming election! If it wasn't for that, they would still be telling us how good it is for us.

Don't let em fool you! The only time we matter to ANY elected official is when it is time for them to get rehired.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
William Shakespeare said – a rose by any other name will still smell as sweet. This is a very simple, yet profound statement. The fine for not paying the individual mandate is not a fine at all, but a tax. You can call it what you want, but a rose is a rose, and a tax is a tax – even if they attempt to call it a “fine”.

The AHC bill was a unlawful bill, as it was proposed in a section of the government that is not responsible for creating a tax. The supreme court upheld the notion that it was a “fine” and not a “tax” because they are all puppets of the governing administration. This is simple politics at play, and it is nothing new.

There is nothing new under the sun, and this song and dance will continue until the end of time – so long as there is politics.

As citizens of the United States, we must make an effort to vote and educate people to the rule of law – and educate them primarily on what they can do to make the world a better place. Right now we have people doing what they want to do, simply because the majority are too ignorant to know what our ruler’s limits are. If the people truly knew what was constitutional and what was not they would not have the same passé attitude they have right now about the directions we are headed down.

But people are willfully ignorant – and they remain that way until something seriously hampers their daily lives. And by that time it is usually too late to do anything.

tax

noun

noun: tax; plural noun: taxes

1. a compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.

edit on 6-3-2014 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
it will never come on the senate floor.

harry reid will never let it just like the 50 attempts to repeal it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Sadly, this bill will go to die in the Senate. These Executive Orders are leaving me speechless when it comes to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). I have nothing against the use of Executive Orders as they have been used for years. However, I have never seen them used the way Obama has with the ACA implementation. The law has specific dates which were voted on by both the House and Senate. I question the Presidents ability to pick and choose what gets implemented and when. This sets up the practice of giving the President limitless ability to follow or not follow laws as he chooses. I am not an Obama fan, but I wouldn't want this going on with a president I support. It violates the separation of powers our founders put into place.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by warpig69

I unlike you have a problem with executive orders. It is completely wrong for one man to be able to decide our fate. Where is our representation in that. Congress is responsible for representing we the people. Something which they are not doing a good job of.

When one man decides what is good for the people he is nothing more than a dictator. Obama the dictator ! Sounds just about right.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The ACA makes everyone who does not purchase an overpriced product that they don't want a criminal.

The poll tax was deemed illegal and unconstitutional, the ACA is 20X worse.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by warpig69

As I said, the will of the people be damned.

Our elected leaders are voting for us. Our senators and congressmen. Then the reflection of what we want is smashed by one overzealous tyrannical idiot. There are supposed to be rules that govern how much power he can have. Those bounds have been overstepped. But someone is very very smart. Picking Biden to be the #2 will ensure that we put up with Obama and just try to ride it out.

It's sad to watch this all happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

VforVendettea
The ACA makes everyone who does not purchase an overpriced product that they don't want a criminal.

They can pass any "law" they want -- even taxing the air we breath -- that still won't make it legitimate. We all have a part to play in this dog-n-pony show. My part is simply saying "no" regardless of the consequences. If enough people do the same, the charade is over.

Besides, a police investigation has already proclaimed that Obama's public documentation is fake. The same investigation is ongoing and they have announced they will most likely be revealing what they have found later this month. They have promised earth-shattering revelations about our Fuhrer. Stay tuned ..... this could be the final straw .....

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Why even bother to fund a house of representatives any longer?

They vote, pass bills and the president just ignores their (the people's) democratic will and overrides it with executive orders.

The excuses various US presidents have used to go to real war with other nations, was to supposedly bring democracy and the rule of law to them..yet more hypocrisy from this current US government apprently...do as i say, and not as i do is plainly in evidence.

What is freedom, when your elected (talking) head politician, assumes absolute and total rule?

What a sick joke...you now have a de facto totalitarian dictatorship in the US..not a Constitutional Republic any longer.

Where are all the 'I'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take it any more' people?

If your legal people who ought to be challenging this, are not doing anything, is it because they're really that afraid?

And if they are, what hope is there for the rest of you?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
you can't get blood from a rock Mr President!!!
Wages have not kept up with the inflation that the gov't insists isn't present! Many of us have lost our jobs! And just because the parents can keep the adult kids on their policy don't count on them doing this!! We aren't in much better position than they are!!
Personally Mr President you have used your executive powers to give delay this bill's mandates to everybody else so guess what!! I am claiming an myself exempt!!! See ya in court!!

PS Have you added a layer of security to the obamacare site or is it still a hacker's dream come true?? We're afraid to venture into it!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
They knew this PPACA was so horrid that no one would join it so they put in the coercion with the hammers of the IRS on your head. Take that away and no one will be in the system except the zero incomers. The whole thing will implode if this goes through which is why it'll never get through the Senate, never mind to Obamas desk.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

MysterX

Where are all the 'I'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take it any more' people?

From what I can see, they are all sitting in front of their computers with a real confused look on their (my) face.

I wish I knew which direction would make any difference at all. I honestly don't know. If a leader shows up, let me know. I am one hell of a follower.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Obama has chosen to become a tyrant, something a lot of U.S presidents have ultimately feared, the power they have allows them to be benevolent or tyrannical, he has chosen the latter. Oh well.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I am mad, but I have to work, so I can be taxed so others can have their free handouts.

I can't afford to go protest. I have a job, a company and a family that relies on my ability to work and provide financially.

Too bad I don't just accept the Govt freebies. I could go protest, write a poem, paint a picture or just hangout.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Obama, the little whiny cry baby that can only point fingers and blame everyone else when he doesn't get his way. I can't wait for the day this AHOLE is out of office. On topic, they should send this bill to Senate as many times as they can even if they know it's not going to be voted on. F it. The more we can derail Obama and his cronies plans and make him look like a fool, the better. All he's doing is . . . well, whatever he wants. He doesn't care what the people think. He's done way more harm than good.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

macman
I can't afford to go protest. I have a job, a company and a family that relies on my ability to work and provide financially.

That's exactly what this criminal trash is counting on.

If you ignore these issues today, what do you think these miscreants will be doing tomorrow? What "coming attractions" (aka nightmares) will your children and grandchildren face?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The way I see it, one of two things will probably happen here.

The Democrats know they're screwed in the upcoming election unless they do something to make people think they've had a change of heart. However, Obama doesn't necessarily need to be a part of that. He can continue to be stubborn and it can still be made to look like the Democrats in the Senate tried to be good guys.

So, either the Senate will also pass it and Obama will let it go (it's only for a year, after all and a year isn't going to cost them anything if they keep the Senate) OR the Senate will pass it and Obama will veto it. The Democrats can still save their tails in the election and Obama's on the way out in 2016 anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The thing about this is that it may for the best if it does die in the Senate.

As soon as someone suffers harm under this bill as a tax, they have standing to sue the ACA again because it's not a proper tax bill. It didn't originate in the House of Representatives where all such revenue bills need to. It was, instead, a Senate bill they cut and pasted into a House shell to make it "technically" a House bill, but there was nothing of the original House framework or language left in it.

So, it theoretically go back to SCOTUS again under a new challenge that it's not a legal tax because the Senate does not constitutionally have the power to tax, and this is their bill, not the House's.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

He just makes this crap up as he goes along.

He's the first American King by self declaration, without the title. He's damn sure ruling like a pseudo-Monarch giving mere lip service to the fact we even HAVE a legislature as an equal branch. Of course...we need the worthless wimps in Congress to assert their OWN position and authorized Constitutional power on things like creation and changing of laws, huh?

In a REAL sense..I think Obama has figured out something at a true, meaningful level that we're now in deep trouble for. He figured out he can do *ANYTHING*....anything at all. No one in the Oval Office is going to physically arm block him and talk sense into him. No one is going to tell him 'No'. The bitch of this is...under the American system, everything he does, passes and decrees *IS* legal until or unless a court or legislative body says otherwise.

In REAL terms tho? What he decrees will be enforced unless otherwise directed, I fear.

When people stop bothering to challenge him...then he has a completely free hand by default, not design. (sigh)
edit on 8-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join