It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PENTAGON US reportedly sending F-16s to Poland, Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid tensions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Interesting update: "The U.S. military is sending a dozen F-16 fighter jets to Poland, Polish media reported, as the U.S. Navy announced it is sending a guided-missile destroyer to the Black Sea as part of a "scheduled" deployment -- amid mounting tensions over Russia's Crimea invasion. Six F-15s landed in Lithuania, along with two K-135 refueling tankers, as part of that effort on Thursday morning. The F-16s were reportedly being sent as part of an additional wave of assistance. The USS Truxtun will be detaching from the USS George W. Bush strike group, currently in the Mediterranean."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I have a friend in Poland who told me yesterday that there are more US fighters in Poland right now. He did not seem to feel threatened by it and thought that it could help prevent the conflict from threatening Poland (and I hope that his interpretation is correct).

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I remember hearing Poland invoke article 4, stating it felt unsafe. Last I heard it was on hold though. Any doomsday planes prepping?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

I live in Poland, there is no panic or anything. There will be 12 additional F-16 and 300 US Soldiers shipped to our country.. Not that much .. Yes we did invoke the 4th but its more a political play than any serious threat at this moment.. As it is now, its more scare tactics than really any danger..

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
A single destroyer? Not a big deal. And BTW a "guided missile destroyer" is the only kind in the US arsenal these days. In any case, it is subject to the Montreux Convention, which says, among other things, that a non-Black Sea country"

* can pass warships, but the aggregate displacement of the foreign warships in the Black Sea may not exceed 45.000 tons.

* cannot hold their ships in the Black Sea longer than 21 days.

* cannot have more than 9 ships in the Black Sea at the same time

* can pass their warships through Turkish Straits by notifying Turkey through diplomatic channels 15 days before the passage.

* cannot pass warships solely designed to carry airplanes through Turkish Straits.

* cannot pass submarines.

An Arleigh-Burke, at less than 10,000 tons, easily passes the displacement test, but the fact that a single destroyer is there makes no real difference in anything at all. an you imagine a scenario where a single destroyer would launch its cruise missiles at anything in the Black Sea? Without air support? Without any other ships around at all? A Burke can "work alone," but its forte is working in conjunction with at least three other destroyers using the Aegis defense system. All this is just for show and is not fooling anyone, especially Putin.

The Convention also shows why reports of the Bush entering the Black Sea. That would be a major treaty violation.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's all just idiotic political games. Nobody is threatening Poland, Russia is not making a takeover of any countries or invading anyone, and the reporting is all just typical political and MSM BS to perpetuate the nasty ol' commies myth!

In fact, the only ones throwing their weight around, as usual, are the US and NATO, with no threat to any of them or NATO members.

Never miss an opportunity to create a drama though as it takes peoples minds off the real issues at home.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Britguy
Russia is not making a takeover of any countries or invading anyone,

Yeah , and Di Caprio won the oscars .

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How does the US send a destroyer into the Black Sea....Fly it in??

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No theres an entrance that's Turkish controlled.....
The destroyer is just for show...IMHO....
The F16s aren't all that toothy either......
A10s and F22s are whats needed.....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Didn't Turkey recently give their permission to use it?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Also Six F-15s landed in Lithuania, along with two K-135 refueling tankers, as part of that effort on Thursday morning.
link

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Poland bought Block 50/52 Vipers (F-16s) several years ago. The US has been rotating several units a year through to help train pilots and ground crews how to get the most out of the aircraft.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

KC-135s.

The F-15s are a long planned deployment with the Baltic Security Forces.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Soloprotocol

God help us all. Look at a map!

khimbar
reply to post by stirling

Didn't Turkey recently give their permission to use it?

They have no choice. The convention demands it. It's just a formality. It's called the Bosphorus Strait, which divides Istanbul in half and also divides the continent of Europe from the continent of Asia. Here's a picture of it:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Britguy
It's all just idiotic political games. Nobody is threatening Poland, Russia is not making a takeover of any countries or invading anyone, and the reporting is all just typical political and MSM BS to perpetuate the nasty ol' commies myth!

In fact, the only ones throwing their weight around, as usual, are the US and NATO, with no threat to any of them or NATO members.

Never miss an opportunity to create a drama though as it takes peoples minds off the real issues at home.

At last we have the one person on the planet who does not think the "mystery" forces that moved in and occupied the Crimea are not Russian.

As for the OP, as Poland and the Baltic states (along with all the countries on Russia's borders) have a long history of being invaded by Russia they of course have every right to call upon NATO to reming the Russians those days are over. Georgia and Ukraine were targets because they were not a part of NATO, Poland and the Baltics want to make it clear they are no longer targets.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

schuyler

Soloprotocol

God help us all. Look at a map!

eh, i did...i've also swam in the Black Sea....looks land locked to me.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
eh, i did...i've also swam in the Black Sea....looks land locked to me.

The Bosphorus strait runs through the middle of istanbul and connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean Sea. Which in turn can be reached through the strait of gibraltar from the North Atlantic.

He even added a stellite image of it...

new topics

top topics

join