It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Antonio food truck’s ‘offensive name’ ruffles feathers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ok, I thought this was a little funny and a witty way for her to sell her food, however there are some that just don't share the same sense of humor. It was seen as "offensive" to some and probably in more ways than one. However, I agree with the woman.

Candie Yoder is a chef and food truck owner in San Antonio, Texas. Amongst her specialties is Asian Fusion. The food she whips up includes Korean BBQ,Japchae, and Bibimbap. Her most popular dish is probably Korean Fried Chicken. There is no denying that the food looks appetizing. However, the San Antonio Express-Newsreports, some people are not happy with her. Why? The name of her food truck is getting people in a tizzy. It’s called, “ Cockasian.”

however, this is what the problem seems to be...

A spokesperson for Port San Antonio, Paco Fellici, told KABB FOX San Antonio , "We thought the name could be offensive to others.” Was Yoder going for an illicit pun with her name choice? She says nope. The Express-News quotes Ms. Yoder as saying that the name has, “boundless meanings, none of which are sexual or a racial slur… I would be more than happy to discuss the basis for our name with them.”

this is not really a conspiracy or anything, just a reminder that the PC crowd is still very much alive and well, and censoring a food wagon near you.....
so, what do you all think?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Veritas1
this is not really a conspiracy or anything, just a reminder that the PC crowd is still very much alive and well, and censoring a food wagon near you.....
so, what do you all think?

I think that its so in your face and constant that a reminder probably isnt necessary.

I think its a clever name, and it seems like the persons business is now getting fantastic, free publicity!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

We had slurs for them… roach coach, meat wagon and junk truck.

Who cares if the food is good and the prices is right?

"Cockasian", lol

Do they serve that too?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Well on a similar vein the last thing you want when you are dying for a wee is, Cock-a-leekie soup.
This political correctness nonsense actually fed the fires of a rebellion against it and was dreamed up by some office lacky with too much time on his or her hand's, Yeah you are correct they are still out there.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
better than asiancock

I understand why some may be offended.

I understand why the authority's may want to stamp it out now before it becomes common practice.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
They should be thankful she didn't turn the name so that it read "Asian Cock".

I see no problem with this. People are reading too much into it. It's more offensive the other way around.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

borntowatch
better than asiancock

I understand why some may be offended.

I understand why the authority's may want to stamp it out now before it becomes common practice.

Beat me to it!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with the name she picked. That being said - I lived in Texas for two years back in the 1980s ... One year in Killeen and one year in San Antonio. I used to eat breakfast burritos off those food trucks all the time. I thought it was pretty good stuff and cheap. I would have had no problem eating from a truck with that name.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Her bottom line though will tell her whether it's attracting or repelling customers. If it's bad for her business profits, she'll change it, otherwise she's laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

From what I understand, in a lot of metropolitan cities the "food truck" business is experiencing a pretty massive boom. I expect this is probably helped along by the TV shows concerning the topic as well.

When a lot of competition comes into the scene, that means higher quality all around!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wonder if they sell Cock soup on that truck?
Yummy yummy cock soup
Its extra spicy.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
There's no common decency or morals in this world anymore. I'd be more surprised if something wasn't perverted these days. Just post her face all over Facebook and Youtube. They don't like to be exposed.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Fylgje
They don't like to be exposed.

Im not so sure thats the case with a business..

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The owner really needs to hire this Korean teacher. We'll see what kind of complaints she gets then.

Korean teacher fail
Sorry I can't figure out how to embed a video from my phone.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
WAIT WAIT!!! I get it now!!!

Cockasian - Caucasion! She's a white woman cooking and selling asian food!

And here I thought it was sexual...

Yoder also pointed out that the truck’s name is a play on the fact she’s a white woman cooking Asian food, telling the Express-News, “When I was discussing my plans of opening an Asian food truck, I got some people asking why, or joking, because of my ethnicity.”

edit on 6-3-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I don't see the problem, they cock a gun in Texas, don't they? They do cockfighting in Texas, don't they? Roosters go cock-a-doodle-do, right? They look at people cockeyed? Now if she called it Asiancock, that might be offensive...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
In the asian calendar isn't there a year of the cock? Does it have sexual overtones? of course it does, just like a pussycat theatre.

Like somebody else said, it may make her money or lose it.

In my opinion if she is working construction sites, having worked construction sites for 25 years,,, her food better be pretty good for us to go the cock truck lol.

But I think the roach coach has evolved and maybe taking the place of the hotdog cart in cities.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Whynot name is CaucAsian? I mean, the spelling is "Caucasian" for white people, not cockasian.
Just put extra emphasis on the fact its a play on the two by capitalizing the "A"
Or make it two colore i.e. "CaucAsian"
Why give people a chance to get offended with the spelling
PS.. is it racist to have the "cauc" part in white and "asian" in yellow?
Just kidding.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I still laugh when I remember they came down on a trio that played a local nightclub in Vancouver BC.......
They called them selves
"Three Niggers and a Chink|".....
Which I thought was an in your face anti racists statement by the band...being three black dudes and one Asian guy....
The hypocrits were the ones offended by it....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Perhaps it should have been called "Chickasian"- no, wait a minute, that's going to offend feminists.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join