It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Agnostic's Questions: Question #1...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

"Why do atheists turn to belittlement, ridicule, and other hostilities
when arguing with believers."

Probably because we expect an actual debate when we enter the conversation, not a sermon. And that's usually what "believers" give us. Quotes from the Bible and arguments from ignorance. Does that answer your question? If not, here's one in return:

Why do believers like to stand in streets with signs describing all the people who are going to hell?
edit on 6-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Wow. Thanks for the example of a 'believer' using belittlement and ridicule when arguing with non-believers (which is what the OP accused non-believers of doing). Afterinfinity has 15,000+ posts. He knows how to post. And his statement was correct. If believers are going to post on chat forums about believing that myths and folklore are literally true, then they are going to get questioned and they are going to get facts presented that they aren't going to like.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

FlyersFan

borntowatch
I believe the OT is very accurate and no pushy pushy demands and the truth is truth atatements will persuade me otherwise.

- It's not 'pushy pushy demands' to post facts that prove the Old Testament is dead wrong. It's just posting truth.
- It's a shame that some people are so blinded by indoctrination that they refuse to let truth enter into their thought process.

You wont win me over, sorry

I don't care what you believe. That's your problem, not mine. But this is ATS and we talk about facts here. So as long as you or anyone else posts here, you all will have the FACT that Noahs Ark is false, staring you in the face. And the FACT that Adam and Eve are myths. And the FACT that Exodus didn't happen the way the Old Testament claims. Close your eyes to the truth if you wish ... it's your choice. But the facts will always be presented here.

Ok ok its alright, calm down.

We disagree, I expect we are both adults and I am sure we candisagree and get along fine

The funny thing is, i assume you call yourself a Christian? and you belittle me by calling me blindly indoctrinated.

See OP, some who call themselves believers do exactly what you state the non believers do to win arguments.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

As a personal observation:
I'm not aware of any adults, who are actively seeking to disprove the reality Santa Clause, his elves, the Easter Bunny, or even the Tooth Fairy. I must be missing something, but, proving that something doesn't exist, certainly does, seem like a farce...

As an agnostic atheist I really do not care about disproving the existence of a deity. Not Altjira, Baiame, Bamapana, Banaitja, Bobbi-bobbi, Bunjil, Daramulum, Dilga, Djanggawul, Eingana, Galeru, Gnowee, Kidili, Kunapipi, Julunggul, Mangar-kunjer-kunja, Numakulla, Pundjel, Ulanji, Walo, Wawalag, Wuriupranili, Yurlungur, Cihuacoatl - a goddess whose roaring signalled War, Centeotl - the Corn god, Chalchiuhtlicue, Chantico, Chicomecoatl, Ehecatl - the god of the Wind, Huitzilopochtli - a god of War and the Sun, Huixtocihuatl, Itzpapalotl, Ixtlilton, Feasting, and Games, Macuilxochitl - the god of Music and Dance, Mayahuel - a goddess of Maguey, Metztli - the Moon god, Mictlantecihuatl - the lady and goddess of Mictlan, the underworld, Mictlantecuhtli - the lord and god of Mictlan and the dead, Ometecuhtli - the god of Duality, Patecatl - the god of Medicine, Paynal - the messenger to Huitzilopochtli, Quetzalcoatl, Teoyaomqui - the god of dead warriors, Tlaloc - the great Rain and Fertility god, Tlazolteotl - the goddess of Licentiousness, Tonacatecuhtli - the creator and provider of Food, Tonatiuh - Tonatiuh was a Sun god, the eagle, and heavenly warrior, Xilonen - the goddess of young Maize, Xipe Totec - the god of Seedtime, Xochipilli - the god of Feasting and young Maize, Yacatecuhtli, Bomazi, Bumba, Belenus, Bran, Brigit, Ceridwen, Cernunos, Dagda, Danu, Epona, Gwydion, Lugh, Lyr, Manannan mac Lir, Morrigan, Nemain, Nuadha, Ogma, Yahweh, Chang E, Chi You, Gong Gong, Guanyin, Guan Di, Nuwa, Pangu, Xi Wangmu, Zao Jun, Hisagita-imisi, Abuk, Denka, Juok, Nyalitch, Abassi, Atai, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma'at, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Ptah, Ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, or any other deity of which there are many, many more. If people want to believe in such things that is fine, however when they adhere to the dogma sorounding such things that is when I object. I object to their dogma the mytho's/religion surrounding their personal deity which drives them to act irrationally.

Religion is fundamentally collective, and has served societies in fostering union, but also in inciting xenophobia and violence (especially against “unchaste” women and “impure” minorities), often on a mass scale. Nonbelievers need to further advance the cause of rationality by discussing it openly; doing so, as uncomfortable as it may be at times, will help puncture the aura of sanctity surrounding faith and expose it for what it is.

It was only a couple days ago when a poster started a thread who was pretty desperate to find meaning to life and one of the things he said was he was afraid he was going to burn in hell. That is when religion has become destructive yet that person thought more religion was what he needed. It is instances like that which are why I will expose religion as false. As far as a creator/deity being real I can neither prove nor disprove nor do I try. Religion on the other hand can be deconstructed.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

The diamond must be handled roughly for it to shine.

Or the turd, depending on how one looks at it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Words

The diamond must be handled roughly for it to shine.

Or the turd, depending on how one looks at it.

Which makes great fertilizer. It's a win win.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

BenReclused
If atheists, truly do, "have a lack of belief in God":
Why do so many, seem so intent, on proving that He doesn't exist?

I don't think atheists intend to try and ''prove'' God doesn't exist. Its more of a long surface level critique of books/personalities/concepts they don't take too well to... i.e- opinion.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I'm not aware of any adults, who are actively seeking to disprove the reality Santa Clause, his elves, the Easter Bunny, or even the Tooth Fairy. I must be missing something, but, proving that something doesn't exist, certainly does, seem like a farce...
Im not aware of any adults who actively seek to push the belief that Santa, his elves, the easter bunny or the tooth fairy on others. On top of that, Im not aware of any adults who seek to judge others if they do not believe in such things.

its funny, for hundreds of years, if not more, atheists and agnostics have been ridiculed, judged, incarcerated and even killed because of their belief.

We finally reach a point in history where each is free to speak his own beliefs, and we immediately see those who hold a belief in god play the martyr, and cry about the 'belittlement' of their beliefs.

There is no bigger hypocrite out there than the devout religous person.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

borntowatch
Ok ok its alright, calm down.

I"m not upset. You are interjecting your own emotions.

i assume you call yourself a Christian? and you belittle me by calling me blindly indoctrinated.

- I am a Christian.
- Stating that someone is blindly indoctrinated, when they clearly are, isn't 'belittling'. It's just a fact ... like stating Charles Manson is a murderer or like stating that oranges are orange.

some who call themselves believers do exactly what you state the non believers do to win arguments.

You just did it to afterinfinity. I did NOT belittle anyone. I just stated a fact. Noahs Ark has been proven not to have happened. You state you believe it as literal anyways 'just cuz' God could have done it' ...God would have done the whole flood thing and then swept up all the mess behind him so that he wouldn't have left any record of it ever have happened AND he would have had to restore everything that he destroyed in the process - according to you that's what happened. That's blind indoctrination IMHO.

edit on 3/6/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Well thats because GOD wrote laws on your heart, you would feel sick because your nature is not EVIL but GOOD. I do see your point about incentive, however GOD is my father and punishes and rewards me as a son. I do the same with my children, don't you? I would not neccessarily choose to save a millionaire over a thief either, rather, those who are suffering and need hope, they who are oppressed and need freedom, this is the goal. Not so I can reap greater reward than them, but so they can have the same reward. I may recieve less of a reward than you sir and thats ok, the material things should be shed off because its about love not money or mansions, but family. GOD has given you understanding and a heart and you use it, keep it up.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This thread.

Is already the most appropriate place to post these questions. This thread is considered a duplicate as both are far too similar.

Please continue at the above linked thread.

Closed.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join