can i legally run around my area with the american flag upside down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Can i run around my city with the flag upside down? Without being charged, fined or jailed? I wonder if ats will let me ask this question

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm sure you could. Why you'd want to, of course, is another question entirely.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Yes, and no, you cannot ask this question.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Boy, you really ought to find the thread about people hanging their flags upside down. Very interesting read, and I learned what it actually meant, so educational too.

Of course you can.
edit on 6-3-2014 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

link   
Yes. Yes you can.

BUT

People also have the right to voice their opinion over what you are doing.
You can do whatever you want with it. Kid Rock cut a hole in one and wore it as a poncho.

link   
Didn't someone did that post picture because they hate the current administration? or something.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The issue isn't dems or repbs, those are excuses. The issues is corporations, lobbyist and bankers

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Americans choose strange ways to express their freedoms...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

It was for distress, as in the country is in distress.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have no idea why asking the question would ever be objectionable to anyone? It's just a question...

There are no laws anywhere in the country I am aware of which prohibit you flying the flag any way you choose. Inverted or not. In fact, the flag flown inverted is an internationally recognized symbol with different meaning in it's own right. It's a sign of distress.

Having said that, others may well take issue as private citizens and express that. They may even express it in inappropriate or violent ways. People can be odd these days. There aren't any specific laws though, unless something HUGE has changed when I wasn't looking.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Do you recall thegovernment signing that billion page bill in and elected it in without enough time to read it all?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Which bill are you talking about? The PPACA? The NDAA..and which year?

I'm not following you on this...?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I believe it was the ndaa, happen around the time obama was signed in, if memory is correct

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
in obama's own words YES WE CAN

2nd

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
How messed up is it that somewhere somebody is looking at a little representation of a flag and wondering "will I be arrested if this is upside down?"

Really. This is the world we live in?

Whether there is factually some global stazi or not the mere fact that people are living their lives as if there is one is disgusting.

Are we in Dark Ages Europe here? Are we all locked in internment camps? Is the pope going to start cutting our balls off for cursing?

It's a piece of fabric. Do whatever the hell you want to with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's called post 9-11 baby. Laws are formed against the people in servitude to the war on terror. Can't be to sure anymore.
Call me a lunatic but there's a lack of testicles with the American people lately

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well OP, I have to say, I'm surprised. I had no idea how many countries do consider it a serious crime punishable up to hard prison time for desecration or destruction of the national flag. Yikes!! ...and some people say a free nation isn't different. Hmpf!

For reference, here are a couple links on the case law and status of things.

NDAA Mention with Inverted Flag shown
^^ I found that one, but the flag is for editorial impact, not a relevant part of the story itself.

2013 NDAA
You can CTRL-F on that and look up flag in the table of contents and bill. There are a few references, but not related to this.

Flag Burning and Other Acts Deemed Disrespectful of
American Symbols

Texas Vs. Johnson (1989)

Flag Burning / Desecration Case History

Of course, Obama could pass another Royal Decree to try and change that...but the courts will terminate the effort yet again, IMO.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Instead the nations and its civilians scream "the government is coming, the government is coming" very nice find, i knew that bill may put a wrench in things

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Many men have died fighting people who burned and desecrated the American flag, so you can carry that same flag upside down.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Do you think the country is in distress?

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join