It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So a country boy can survive? EPA Wants to Snuff out Wood and Pellet Stoves. with a mini ice coming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Do you guys over there have firewood regulation? Or burning, home heating regulations? How wood from even residential tree removals must be dealt with, that sort of thing?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

No, but there are smokeless zone regulations which limit what can be burnt.
I'm positive that it won't be long before it all gets stamped on though, just because so many people are switching to wood etc from gas and oil heating.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

in the nearest city to me the GTA in ontario canada, a face cord of wood delivered can run you up around and over 250.oo CAD

if one doesn't just pay ones own wood in labour and chainsaw stuff, and haulage and processing...
it isn't really worth it

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

That's the thing, you don't have to buy wood. I get broken pallets for free, pick up scrap from people who re chopping down trees and even get the odd 4 yard skip of scrap wood from building sites delivered. all for nothing.
Just gotta be creative.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

we do the same in town
out in the bush, dead fall is free on crown land

or you go help a wood cutter, straight trade wood for labour

beers and a fire....and a fun log as we call it

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So, how difficult is it to manufacture a furnace to meet the new specs? Is it an impossible standard, or just a catalytic plate you need to wipe off every 40 hrs of burn?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

well now
that is a good question

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
They'll have to pry my woodstove out of my well-warmed hands.

Seriously though, our Lopi 1750 is on the current EPA "approved" list. Not sure if it'll be on the next one, but as long as the EPA stays on sticking it to "newly installed", we'll be ok. I figure our Lopi has a lot of life left in it.

We haven't turned on the furnace since 2008. It's electric, so lots and lots of $$ to use. We're on a rock mountain, so propane tanks would be our only other heating option - no gas lines. Wood is free from hubby's work site. He cuts it to 18" and brings home the rounds. Son, daughter and I split and stack. This cold winter, we've nearly finished 4 cords (face cords - 4x8x3 instead of 4x8x4)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm not convinced a mini ice age is coming. Someone told me that when the sun does its pole reversal we get a cold winter or period of time, and the sun just did that.

Also, as for energy. People need to use their empowerment to speak up, write in, all the normal democracy watchdog things and not obey bad orders ever.

But I'm not into wood, however rocket stoves that you primarily freed prunings and much smaller wood harvesting in, and give off heat is one thing. Also, clean electrical devices. Alternative fuel, eco fuel for oil furnaces. There are other methods other than just relying on wood. But in a real disaster, without any other method, everyone who could would be utilizing it, and all natural resources they could.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

thanks for dropping by Uni

yeah wood is work i guess it depends..

being canadian we may not need a mini ice age lol
we get one every half a year or so

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

thats the way to do it
when chopping splitting and piling
you are twice warmed they say

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It feels so good pulling in the driveway with a load of wood on the truck, and it's even better when you have it split down and stacked up in the woodshed. The best part of wood is enjoying a cup of coffee next a blazing hot fire on a -10f morning.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

a full freezer and a hot stove
keeps the beer from freezing while you load in too

edit on 9-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join