It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So a country boy can survive? EPA Wants to Snuff out Wood and Pellet Stoves. with a mini ice coming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Meditationplus

I don't know about other parts of the country, but where I live wood pellets are getting very hard to find. All the major home improvement places around here are sold out with at least a week before the next shipment. We had to go to some tiny little town hardware store to even find some before we ran out. Which seems pretty strange to me since the brands we buy are made just over in WI. There must be a lot of people using them now because just a few years ago the stores wouldn't run out until nearly the end of winter, this year its been multiple times.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Logarock
Yep, here is the EPA doing the bidding of others. Its all about cash, controlling markets ect. AND they are trying to nip in the bud the resurgence of wood burning, over the last 5 years, primarily as a means to save money. That's all the EPA is worried about.

edit on 6-3-2014 by Logarock because: n

Bingo!

Wood = Cheap, readily available, scrap wood can be recycled as useful fuel and is comparatively clean being Carbon / CO2 neutral.

Fuel oil = None of the above.

You're spot on mate.

Bloody vultures.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

thov420
reply to post by Meditationplus

I don't know about other parts of the country, but where I live wood pellets are getting very hard to find. All the major home improvement places around here are sold out with at least a week before the next shipment. We had to go to some tiny little town hardware store to even find some before we ran out. Which seems pretty strange to me since the brands we buy are made just over in WI. There must be a lot of people using them now because just a few years ago the stores wouldn't run out until nearly the end of winter, this year its been multiple times.

It's not strange if they are deliberately restricting supply on the back of this new regulation 'enhancement'.

How many thousands will give up trying to source a dwindling supply of wood based fuel, if it's being deliberately made scarce and switch back to the fuel 'they' want them to use, which is dirtier, more costly and more damaging, but makes them more lovely, cuddly profit...hmmm?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
well i'd like to spit some beachnut in the epa's eyes.

so lets just listen to ol bocephus for a few mintues.

edit on 6-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
One of my neighbors uses corn for heat. Very similar to the wood pellets. Prices for the corn are going way up because of ethanol so he buys directly from local farms. I rarely notice any smoke from him and I am usually down wind. The EPA will stomp on these guys next.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
(restrictions had previously banned wood-burning stoves that didn’t limit fine airborne particulate emissions to 15 micrograms per cubic meter of air, the change will impose a maximum 12 microgram limit. )

so does this include campfires also?

a wood burning stove is just a campfire without the metal box around it..
a fireplace is a campfire that moved inside surrounded by 5 sides

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What about people who have fireplaces? All that smoke still goes up the chimney.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is along the same lines as emission controls/inspection for cars in cities.

Where I live the population is so low we don't have emissions or safety inspection. You'd laugh at the POS vehicles that go down our road. We can ride a horse to town if we want.

The availability of affordable wood stoves could become a problem but a local guy here builds them. We bought the iron/materials, he designed it, built it for a little cash/barter. We love our stove, it's all we have for heat.

Ours is lined with firebrick so we can burn coal. It can be dug out of the ground for free, lots of old coal mines here. We don't like to burn it because it stinks but it's good to know we can use it in a pinch.

Pinon pine is our wood of choice. It emits very little smoke, burns hot and smells heavenly. Pine beetles killed off huge stands of pinon here, we'll have firewood for decades.

Cities simply have too many restrictions/PC BS for us. We'll take our inferior infrastructure and inferior everything else any day. There's a price for living in a huge money making metropolis and we don't think it's worth it.

The only problem I can see for us could be homeowners insurance. Right now they don't hassle us, we already pay a high rate because of our volunteer fire dept./high wild fire risk. Without local emission controls I don't think they can come down on us too hard. That could change but very little has changed here since my dad was a kid, he's 83.

If you're sick of city BS get out of dodge fast because imo cities are only getting worse and more unaffordable. Lots of families are relocating to our area. Some are coming because of Colorado's recent change in a law I won't mention and others are simply being priced out of cities.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a well managed bush lot has to be thinned out and of course the best thing to do with most average wood is mill the logs and burn the tops...

one thing I am wondering is if you can't heat with wood, grow your own crops, or hunt...
beyond the money which is certainly part of it...carbon credits and all that crap....

thats in large part how the indians were basically demolished

what about the modern freedom?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

If you all want to know some truth about the EPA - follow the case of a scientist James E. Enstrom and his research on fine particulate pollution

www.kipnews.org...

His research study (peer-reviewed and found to have no fault)showed the fine particulate DID NOT have the reputed health effects. As a result - he was fired.

His previous study on the effects of second hand smoke (the most peer-reviewed study ever published in the British Medical Journal) also found no health effects. It was the second major study to find no health effects. The first study was conducted by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. There is now a third study showing that exposure to second hand smoke had no health effects.

www.bmj.com... (Enstroms study)

Its all about junk science and money. - knowing the truth won't help you. Country people will either have to freeze or spend money upgrading their wood burning stoves and fireplaces will be banned.

Don't like it?

Tough! You allowed zealots to do it to smokers and cheered them on. Now its your turn.

And don't think you can eat more to keep warm. The powers that be have declared war on obesity and sugar!

All on the same junk science basis. You all deserve what you get! This is sweet payback for the senior citizens who froze to death trying to have a smoke.

Now you will understand the truth of the saying "first they came for...". Do what you are told or suffer the consequences just like smokers have. Yes - stoves will be "grandfathered"....right after you pay the new carbon tax that keeps rising year after year.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The EPA are bannng woodburning stoves in the same way that they have already banned refridgerators and cars ......

All that has happened is that any new stove sold must meet current standards regarding emissions. Just as fridges and cars must.

Sometimes it pays to look beyind the headline....

On January 3, 2014, EPA proposed revisions to the residential wood heater new source performance standards (NSPS) under Section 111 of the Clean Air Act. The draft revisions apply to new heaters ONLY and do not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoples’ homes.

www.epa.gov...

(my emphasis)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I see it one of two ways:

1. Either we keep our wood stoves so that we can cook and keep warm, or...

2. We all go to their mansions/bunkers and keep warm and cook.

What's it gonna be?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Well there's absolutely no reason why you can't keep your woodburning stoves. So no problem

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
The EPA are bannng woodburning stoves in the same way that they have already banned refridgerators and cars ......

All that has happened is that any new stove sold must meet current standards regarding emissions. Just as fridges and cars must.

Sometimes it pays to look beyind the headline....

On January 3, 2014, EPA proposed revisions to the residential wood heater new source performance standards (NSPS) under Section 111 of the Clean Air Act. The draft revisions apply to new heaters ONLY and do not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoples’ homes.

www.epa.gov...

(my emphasis)

But...
Looking at a primary resource isn't country...it's rock and roll

(Devil added intentionally)
One cannot complain about "pc this" or "FEMA camps" or people coming to take your guns after your wood stove if you read the primary source and not someone else's opinion that is supposed to be taken as "news".
edit on 6-3-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

awesome news i don't just burn wood for heat i like to cook on it too

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Last week, the EPA proposed tightening its emission standards for wood stoves: Currently, the EPA certifies wood stoves that produce no more than 7.5 grams of fine particulate matter per hour, but new regulations would reduce that level to 4.5 grams per hour by next year, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports, and lower it again to 1.3 grams per hour by 2019. [Top 10 Alternative Energy Bets]

www.livescience.com...

here is a list of brand name stoves and thier out put in grams per hour
a lot of these stoves will be toast in 2019
www.ecy.wa.gov...

yes one must read the information at the link
condescending posters may have missed something

edit on 6-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Please don't think I am against woodburning stoves or fireplaces. As I pointed out - James Enstrom proved that inhaling particulates (including second hand smoke) is not all that bad for you.

However, if they can ostracize me and tax me to death for smoking 12 grams of dried leaves - and the rest of the population cheer my misery.....well then I guess I have no choice but to cheer your misery!

Global warming, Big Tobacco, Big Sugar, Big Fast Food, Big Perfume....its all the same junk science. Until we stand up and say enough is enough and stop funding this type of discrimination....well then let everyone be fair game, not just smokers

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Isn't it strange how we're constantly warned that oil and gas wont last much longer, yet they do everything they can to force us to use it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
as stated in another post.. the EPA is a joke..
How about starting with India and china for pollution regulations..
Or lets pay some attention to the radiation spewing from japan..

go ahead EPA.. try and take the wood burning stove from the US.. its like a laughable gun confiscation of the masses..

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

jaynkeel
I love my wood stove and will not comply. Matter of fact it will be coming with me when I move now that I read this bull….

That is 100% right, they can't have my wood stove or my guns or anything else that is mine. Obama just keep your freaking hands off of my stuff.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join