It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freed cows literally jump for joy at being released from dairy farm into a field

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

This creates some difficulty for me, as the absurdity of me finding beauty and pleasure in the happiness of my food sinks in a bit.

Yeah, seeing them so happy brought a tear to my eyes, but along with it came a definite feeling of guilt.

Guess I should probably think about that...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

This creates some difficulty for me, as the absurdity of me finding beauty and pleasure in the happiness of my food sinks in a bit.

Well then the problem in you not seeing the beauty seems to be you are eating these beings.
You want to experience the pleasure and beauty of their happiness stop seeing them as food.
These cows will not be your food.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It's like going on Social Security after a life of working your ars off. It's like getting released from a prison. My wife just retired but instead of going wild in the stores, she just wants to relax at home and do facebooking and some research on things. If the frost ever starts coming out of the ground, I'm going to start my digs again, now that there is someone else around.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Bovine are wonderful creatures. Happy, intelligent, full of love and mirth...unless, that is, they live in a conventional farm.

It is heartbreaking to see the dead eyes of a conventionally treated dairy cow...let alone those farmed for meat.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Holy Cow!

Nuff' Said.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Beautiful - they are so lovely ..

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Cried soooo much at this! Absolutely reinforced my recent change to being vegetarian! So glad I decided to stop eating meat and so glad you shared this OP! Thankyou!

Quite often people think cows are just braindead hunks of meat but I disagree, they are really beautiful animals and our historical and personal relationships with them go nearly as deep as with horses, they are wonderful, beautiful animals

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Officially put a smile on my face!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am not even going to bother reading the other replies for the chance of ruining this good feeling. Cows make me happy in so many ways! With their milk, their steak, their burgers, those funny looking utters, the milk for the cheese, and now this?! I thought this video would be lame, but it brought a few minutes of joy and laughter.

Good for those cows!
Thank you for sharing.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wonderful and very generous that they are helping out.

bjax9er
Mmmmmmm

Can I buy one?
Them some healthy heffers.
Makes me want a cheeseburger.
Strip steak anyone?

In general the supermarket ground beef is dairy cow, with "chemical" hormones included.

reply to post by Spiro

Thanks for sharing. Sad about the calf, had missed that originally.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Wow, that really touched my heart. That was nice to see, and I think it shows that our fellow mammals have more emotions than some might want to admit. It proves that they feel joy and pain just as we do. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well I didn't know exactly what to make of this thread before actually watching the video. I'm surprised that I was moved by watching them jump around and enjoy the fields after being cooped up.

The more I observe the habits of animals, the more I dislike most of the habits of man....

Just saying.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'm an unrepentant carnivore, but I do believe in humane treatment in farming. Most of the dairy cows I've seen lived in the field not in sheds, and trotted in docilely to be milked then back out after. Nice to see the old girls having a cavort.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lotuschild

Cried soooo much at this! Absolutely reinforced my recent change to being vegetarian!

Same reason I went veggie at twenty.

It lasted four years, and made me anemic, obese and aggravated my PCOS no end as I need a high fat/protein diet to thrive. Much healthier as a meat eater. Humans evolved on a diet that's about2/3 flesh. Icky but true.

Now I'm all for humane farming methods. BIG opponent of halal slaughtering.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

BDBinc
Well then the problem in you not seeing the beauty seems to be you are eating these beings.
You want to experience the pleasure and beauty of their happiness stop seeing them as food.
These cows will not be your food.

We're meant to eat meat though. The realization with these cows is no different from a realization about fish or chickens. At some point you have to recognize that you're killing and eating sentient beings unless you go vegetarian.

bigfatfurrytexan

well...that young man is misguided in his belief that they are gentle.
I am familiar with the male of their species.

I won't go vegetarian, I enjoy meat far too much. I suppose I would be open to it if someone made the right point to me, but for now my outlook is that humans are meant to eat meat, in addition to that it tastes good and many things I enjoy are made out of meat. I have however recognized that the animals I eat are sentient and enjoy living so I've cut back on how much I eat. In this regard I see eating the beef in a cheeseburger no different than I see eating my dog (which isn't an idea that has any appeal to me at all), the animals were just born in different places.

Because of this I've cut down from the national average of 12 oz/day to about 4 oz/day (the recommended is 8/day). The reduction in my meat eating doesn't really impact anything as unsold meat is still ordered/thrown out so I'm not contributing to less slaughter but it does make me feel like I have less blood on my hands, which is good for my mental outlook.

Besides that, a properly made salad is delicious (typed as I'm eating a ham sandwich).
edit on 8-3-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I participated in the slaughter of some pigs recently, with hesitation, and it was awful, I find it hard to eat their flesh after watching them die so badly, but out of respect for the suffering they had to endure before death I do, thankfully and apologetically.

Better than killing them and letting them rot I suppose....

The secret to killing is to see the entity you are killing as a lower form of life, such as when in military training one must be bigoted toward the one that is the target.

My military training did not kill my humanity and did not cause me to hate people just because of the color of their skin, the clothes they wore, their religion, or the fact their training caused them to think of me and my kind as an animal.

Needless to say my military career was a short one, I got myself out as soon as I realized what my job actually was regardless of the consequences I had to suffer to escape...

I look upon animals as better than humans, humans are helpless and ignorant, miserable without their technology to carry them about and find sustenance, pitiful.

Animals are better than people, nearly everything people do is an imitation of what animals can do in nature.

The video was good, I used to watch my Grandfather's cows act the same way when we would let them out after the milking.

The mindless murder of animals is simply " Speciesism " the same as racism or any other type of discrimination.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Amazing Vid, Thanks for Sharing

Fat and docile, big and dumb
They look so stupid, they aren't much fun
Cows aren't fun

They eat to grow, they grow to die
They die to be eaten at the hamburger fry
Cows well done

Nobody thunk it, nobody knew
No one imagined the great cow guru
Cows are one

He hid in the forest, read books with great zeal
He loved Che Guevera, a revolutionary veal
Cow Tse Tongue

He spoke about justice, but nobody stirred
He felt like an outcast, alone, in the herd.
Cow doldrums

He mooed we must fight, escape or we'll die
Cows gathered around, cause the stakes were so high
Bad cow pun

But then he was captured, stuffed into a crate
Loaded onto a truck, where he rode to his fate
Cows are bummed

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
Cows with guns

They came with a needle to stick in his thigh
He kicked for the groin, he pissed in their eye
Cow well hung

Knocked over a tractor and ran for the door
Six gallons of gas flowed out on the floor
Run cows run!

He picked up a bullhorn and jumped up on the hay
We are free roving bovines, we run free today

We will fight for bovine freedom
And hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo, or die...
Cows with guns

They crashed the gate in a great stampede
Tipped over a milk truck, torched all the feed
Cows have fun

Sixty police cars were piled in a heap
Covered in cow pies, covered up deep
Much cow dumg

Black smoke rising, darkening the day
Twelve burning McDonald's, have it your way

We will run free with the buffalo, or die
Cows with guns

The President said "Enough is Enough!
These uppity cattle, it's time to get tough"
Cow dung flung

The newspapers gloated, folks sighed with relief
Tomorrow at noon, they would all be ground beef
Cows on buns

The cows were surrounded, they waited and prayed
They mooed their last moos,
They chewed their last hay
Cows out-gunned

The order was given, turn cows to Whoppers
Enforced by the might of ten thousand coppers
But on the horizon, surrounding the shoppers
Came the deafening roar, of chickens, in choppers!

We will run free with the buffalo, or die
Cows with guns

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
S&F for the original post, sure put a smile on my face.

Made me remember a day, many, many, many years ago, that Iwinder and I were out for a Sunday drive in the country. We passed a dairy farm and saw a cow with her head through the fence munching on some grass. Guess maybe its true that the grass is always greener on the other side.

But later, when we passed the farm on our way back the same cow was there with her head through the fence. After watching for awhile we realized the head was stuck. So we drove over the the farmhouse and waited for someone to come out, with three dogs circling the car it was enough to keep us from going up to the door. Once the farmer came out, and we explained what we saw, he thanked us very much and said he would take care of it.

We drove back to the paddock and watched as the farmer held the fence and pushed the cow's head back through with his foot. That was one happy cow....jumping and kicking and shaking its head just like in the video.

Funny all the things that we think are forgotten but just sit somewhere in the brain, for some 20 odd years. Thanks for bringing that memory back to the present.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Its always nice to see animals having fun but in a lot of ways this is just like with sea world and blackfish (which I have not seen btw) ...it's as one sided as you can get. Most dairy cows are not kept in sheds or barns their whole life. At least not on the farms I've been to. Most are in for milking twice daily and they know what stall to walk into and most do it voluntarily. The rest of the day the cows are in field. In bad weather do you want to go outside? Depending on the weather most cows aren't let out so when a nice day comes along they do what anyone would after being cooped up, us included- they celebrate being out. I agree many practices with young calves aren't always right but even there most farmers are good to their animals. I'm not defending all farming practices *especially certain farm types) but we have to be objective and look at things from both sides. Things aren't always what they're made out to be.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I already said my piece on this but there was one other point I wanted to make. We see human qualities in dogs while other cultures consider them food. Other cultures however place cows on a pedestal while they consider dogs food, at best.

I understand not wanting to empathize with your food, but if other cultures see such qualities in an animal there's likely a reason for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join