It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivory Coast and French “peacekeeping” - Warning Graphic Images!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Warning Graphic Images!

I’ve got couple of questions here:

1. What were people at U.N. thinking when they appointed France as a peacekeeping force for Ivory Coast, former French colony?

2. Why French military can simply deny shooting unarmed Ivory Coast demonstrators, not bother even to investigate, and get away with it? Why the mass media is silent about the incident? Is this because it is expected for French to shoot unarmed people and hence it is not news worthy???

Reference:

Ivory Coast accuses France of shooting civilians - ABC News Online (Australian edition!) - a single reference to the shooting in the mainstream media

Warning Graphic Images!

French troops shooting at demonstrators - Video 1 - 98 Mb

French troops shooting at demonstrators - Video 2 - 105 Mb

VIDEO: French Troops shooting into crowds of unarmed Ivory Coast Civilians - thread at Militaryphotos.net. Note Europeans dismissing two high-quality full-length videos as propaganda, while just few days ago entire world was crying over a shot, grainy, taken out of contest video of U.S. marines in a Fallujah mosque…

[edit on 24-11-2004 by BadRuski]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   

img.photobucket.com...

Mod Edit: to remove graphic photo and add it's link

[edit on 26-11-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
1. The present government invited them
2. Yes that is a war crime and needs punishment. Such as Abu Ghraib or the Falluja incident were.
That is unfortunatly what happens if you let soldiers do police work or riot control when they are not trained for that.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
There was a woman handing out printout on the London Underground the other day concerning this, i didnt read all of it coz i had to get off at my station, but what i did read, although it was of course very one sided, was ridiculous if true. Their demands sound reasonable. Its a shame the media hasn't picked up on this at all, i hadn't heard anything about it save from this leaflet and this thread!Printed list of demands :-
-French army to leave ivory coast
-chirac to stop insulting our president and people
-french media to be more responsible and professionally curious in the way they treat information regarding the current crisis in the ivory coast
-chirac and french media to stop pretending that the ivory coast is a country hostile to foreigners.
-French government to treat ivory coast government as counterpart and not subordinates.

Theres also a contact email for messages of support:
rachel_djah.t21@btinternet.com

[edit on 24-11-2004 by superduperman]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Can you put a warning in the title of this thread? I just saw something I REALLY didn't want to.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito
1. The present government invited them
2. Yes that is a war crime and needs punishment. Such as Abu Ghraib or the Falluja incident were.
That is unfortunatly what happens if you let soldiers do police work or riot control when they are not trained for that.

Not sure of any other countries, but the UK does have riot and crowd control training..

This picture was taken 3 months ago of my son in Northern Ireland doing his riot training.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here is how French military explains there actions:

real.xobix.ch...:07:40.417&end=00:13:10.167 (RealPlayer Streaming Video)

If somebody could please translate. I am eager to know what they have to say.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Translation from Militaryphotos.net Forum:

2 parts:

1- an anonymous eye witness who identified himself as non French or Ivorian was staying as a guest in the hotel and saw the shooting from the 20th floor (!) From his accent I would say he is from Belgium (not sure). He said the French troops standing guard around the hotel were from the RICM, the very same armored Marine unit that was bombed in Bouake. The crowd was estimated +/- 10 000 to 14 000 people, mostly young people and some women. He acknowledges the mob was very agressive toward the soldiers, pushing and trying to remove the concertina wires all day long. The siege lasted more than 8 hours until some shooting started by 18h00. Was that a burst from a Famas or an AK-47, I am not expert enough. He said the head from a lady was ripped off. Then he tells the story of French "snipers" storming some rooms on the 6th floor early in the morning, when they later found some empty cases as well as a forgotten civil ID (said to belong to a military)

2- the French Colonel is an official Army spokeman. He denied the fact the French openened fire from cold blood. One interesting point is the soldiers standing guard were on duty for more than 12 hours in the tropical heat. They had to face the very angry mob and among the unarmed people some guys started shooting at the French. The French first released some warning bursts above the crowd who panicked, the situation worsened and yes (hard for him to acknowledge) they fire a few rounds at the shooters.

This is a rough and fair translation, make your point with that.

Video 1 in the original post (radioci.embaci.com...) shows warning shots being fired, apparently because the soldiers felt the crowd was too close.

There is still no proof that French were fired upon. I just hope they fired on the crowd for a good reason, not because they were "standing guard there on duty for more than 12 hours in the tropical heat" and got tired...

That would be to much of a joke.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by BadRuski]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
There is another thread here that shows the film footage that is not definitive, either.
There is nothing here that would indicate to me that the French opened fire on civilians for no cause or reason.

It might be a good idea to change out the troops, though, with soldiers from another country. Don't look at us (U.S.). We have our hands full at the moment. There are plenty of countries who are not willing to help us that have nothing else to do, though.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow, what a confusing mess.

It's impossible to judge the merits of the actions of the French troops even after watching the videos. The videos are simply not conclusive enough to prove either side's claims.

But before you close the book on this one and write it off as a "they were fired on first", just remember that we are only hearing one side of the story here: The French side. The people present at that demonstration have no voice, and no-one's going to believe some pamphlet distributed in the railway station over an official French Miltary press release, true or false as it may be.

Another mystery thrown into the mix is the French troops finding evidence of a sniper in the hotel, who left his I.D. and some "smoking gun" bullet casings. Seems a little too convenient to me, a little like the passport of the hijacker which turned up on the street in NY; a passport which somehow survived the 911 plane crashes. Uhh...yeah, right.

So the important questions are:

* Were the French troops fired on first?
* If so, were they fired on by the sniper or by armed protesters?
* If they were fired on by the sniper, then who was he working for?
* Was the sniper evidence planted?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What's interesting is that numerous civilians have obviously died in Iraq since the beginning of the war, yet when there's a hint that maybe the French opened fire on demonstrators in Ivory Coast, there's an uproar.

Is this being posted because it happened, or because it involves the French?

Here's an abstract on the war in Ivory Coast:
www.globalsecurity.org...

And let's not forget this episode here...
archives.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well what do you expect. The French have been yelling for the past 2 years that we need to avoid civilian casualties at all costs in Iraq. Then this happens. Also, I wouldn't call it and uproar. It barely even made the news.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i cannot believe they are calling bush for help...

they must really need it...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum
Also, I wouldn't call it and uproar. It barely even made the news.
Right. It would be tempting to suggest that attention is deliberately being given to this event to show up the French; to potray them as hypocrites in relation to their abstaining from participation in the invasion of Iraq. This would be particularly easy to believe in the light of recent mild anti-French sentiment in the US.

However the fact of the matter is that media attention on this event has been light to say the least, and all the reports were so played down and so French-sided that most folks would skip over it without a second thought.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
We does they U.N not send a multi national peace keeping force? Wouldnt that be smarter then sending a peace keeping force from just one nation?

Im not really sure how that whole system works in the U.N but I would think it would be better to send equal numbers of many different nations. Like if you where going to send 20,000 troops have

5000 French
5000 UK
5000 India
5000 German

The U.N should be able to do that

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Actually Shadow, that's not a bad idea at all. Objectively, I have to say that having France there is a bit awkward because Ivory Coast is one of its former colonies... so sending forces from other countries would balance that and prevent giving the impression that the peacekeeping forces are taking sides in the conflict.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
We does they U.N not send a multi national peace keeping force? Wouldnt that be smarter then sending a peace keeping force from just one nation?

Im not really sure how that whole system works in the U.N but I would think it would be better to send equal numbers of many different nations. Like if you where going to send 20,000 troops have

5000 French
5000 UK
5000 India
5000 German

Don't forget Pakistan... one of the UN's largest contributer of logistics and troops

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And this is a perfect example to show that the EU is still naught but in name at the moment. You can bet that any proposals for EU assistance/involvement in the Ivory Coast situation was/would be very quickly vetoed by the French Government. I can imagine an "it's our mess and we'll deal with it, thank you very much" attitude.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

5000 French
5000 UK
5000 India
5000 German

the UN is not in the process of running head long into a fight without finding out both sides.
how do you tell good from bad?
the fact with the UN is that they cant go in head first because if they hit the wrong target they will be said as agressors and so not a peace unit and just another alliance after world domination

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You would almost expect the French troops to have some form of riot weaponry (tear gas, etc.), I believe gatherings and protests were to be expected.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join