It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disclaimer stickers in school textbooks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Evolution like Creationism is a theory, neither have been proven. Evolution is not a fact, it is a theory. Even my bio teacher, agrees that it is a theory and like all theories it can be thrown out the window if something new comes up.

Some of these stickers are stupid but, you gotta realize that not everything is a Right-winged Christian conspiracy and that not everything in science is true and that evolution is still a theory while it has held up since Darwin it can still be thrown out.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
As for stockers,
I think all info one receives should be taken with an open mind, not only the evolution theorie, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
To quote Joliet Jake:

"Jesus H. tap-dancin' Christ!".

You have got to be kidding me.

How about a disclaimer sticker on the Holy Bible saying

This book contains stories of a man whose existence cannot be proven by historical research, written many years after his death by people who were not eye-witnesses...

Or

Under evidentiary rules in US courts of law none of the following material would be admitted...

or

Warning, the following book contains references to men being raised from the dead. Except for Richard Nixon's political fortunes in 1968, this is impossible and must therefore be regarded as fiction...

or

The following book teaches forgiveness. Forgiveness is a theory whose existence has not been proven by scientists. Approach this material with an open mind...

or

The material contained within this book has been the standard defence of more war criminals throughout history than any other. Approach this material with an open mind...

"It's not pollution that's harming the atmosphere, it's the impurities in our air and water"

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
But whatever the theory, whether we were created by evolution or freakin bio-engineered by aliens, at the end of the day when it comes down to it, anyone who isnt either brainwashed by christianity (which i still maintain is very cult-like) knows that creationism is BS.

The earth wasnt made in seven days, it is NOT only 1000 or so years old, thats just stupid. Besides the fact that objects have been dated far FAR further back (even with the degree of error) than creationist say the world was made. Every SINGLE piece of information and evidence that scientists uncover about the universe just helps to further prove that all religion is a ficticious construct invented by scared little apes, who live on a mostly wet rock for an infinitely small amount of time, desperate not to have to come to terms with theirown mortality and insignificance.

I know it might sound slightly cliche, but the amount of time wasted bickering about who's wrong or right, you could have all gone out and collected the entire human ancestral family tree.

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Shadow88]

Edn

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Is this all a part of dumbing down future generations? Last time I checkd it was blatantly obvious the the theory of evolution was a theory because it said on the book The Theory of Evolution.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
For the record, I just started my junior year in highschool today.

Last year, in AP Bio, we recieved our books which had disclaimers in them. Our teacher, and student teacher, both were not allowed to express their opinions that religion is complete bull#, or that evolution should be taken seriously, due to rules which they must follow, or be fired.

I talked with the student teacher after class quite a bit, and she had to be weary of telling me her non-beliefs as an atheist, is the sense that it could risk her job. When either of them discussed evolution in class, micro or macro evolution, they constantly stated that it is just a theory. About 3/4ths of the way through the school year, a mass rise of complaints from parents had arisen, and the class discussions ultimately ended.

If I am correct, this year is the year that parents are able to vote on a God-creationist class which would replace the role of science for my high school. This would mean either A) A majority of the students would not attend a science class and be thoroughly uneducated... or B) A majority of the students would not attend a science class and be thorougly uneducated taking the funds that the real classes recieve.

If/when this occurs, I will be sure to post it on ATS, as well as notify every possible news organization in the country.

Edn

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thing is that creationism or whatever its called is obviously a religious believe or more specifically a renaming for the word god and how he apparently created everything, do they not teach religious classes in the US? As someone mentioned earlier in the UK we have RME religious and moral education which covers a wide variety of religions creationism if thats what its called? would surely be placed under a religious class not a science class because well, its not a scientific theory.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I graduated from a small West Texas town right outside of Midland (birthplace of good ol' G.W.) and my senior year geology course began with a simple quiz to access where the class "stood" in respects to the subject matter to be covered in the course.

Once our teacher had read through all the papers, she addressed the classroom and stated:

"I see several of you believe the Earth is less than 6,000 years old. I want you to know that while we respect your religious viewpoints this class is going to be taught from a scientific viewpoint, and you will graded on this material - not your personal opinions.

If you have any problems with this because it goes against what you've been taught in church, I highly recommend you transfer to another class for your science credit, for we are here to study science - not to debate theology."

Amazingly, no one dropped the course, and things went smoothly the entire term.

And at least the STUDENTS had the right to choose whether or not they participated with the class agenda.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hey I actually like this and it should be a Federal law. Science is not perfect, and theories are just that. A theory can have as many facts to support it as possible, but unless it is without a doubt provne to be true it is still just a theory, and therefore should see no problem with putting these disclaimers in.

I support this action!

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I hate the fact that all of america is forced to walk on eggshells all the time. Lighten up and stop being so ultra politically correct.

And great. The next generation is going to grow up idiots, without basic understanding of science.

And just for the record, however not quite proven any areas of science are, creationism doesn't even register in comparison.

Minus perhaps the president, who has daft opinions anyway (aka stem cell research which could save millions of lives is bad, the earth has only been around 6000 years - that one makes me and likely any rational person want to SCREAM as it's the single most stupid idea i've ever heard) anyone who is going to get ahead in the world knows that science (discounting current theories until also proven factual) is fact. Religion is a work of the IMAGINATION, fictional.

How about a disclaimer sticker on the Holy Bible saying

This book contains stories of a man whose existence cannot be proven by historical research, written many years after his death by people who were not eye-witnesses...

Exactly, if the american government had any balls they'd do the same in school bibles. Its not one rule for science and religion is exempt.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Shadow88]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I know that Christians are responsible for placing the Cobb Disclaimer in textbooks, based on the preference of some Christians for a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis.

However, the disclaimer, itself, provides what I believe to be some damn good advice for any topic and could very well serve as motto for ATS:

[edit on 2006/9/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
School textbooks are a mandatory tool forced fed to every citizen and non-ctizen child in america who attends public school whether they like it or not. bibles are a religious text. mostly forced to be kept out of schools, and are not a mandatory part of growing up in Americas. You have the free will to read the bible/ or to burn it up and blow the ashes in the face of a priest, minister,nun or any other believer. Textbooks are mandatory. You burn those up, and you are required to pay fro them or be held back. If you refuse to read them, you will be disciplined, or just lose out on the required education to pass.
there you have it.

I mean omg it must be so PHYSICALLY painful to have to see these single stickers on a single page of a textbook. Are they causing anyone blindness, sickness, or physicla impairements? I think not. No problems there.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I mean omg it must be so PHYSICALLY painful to have to see these single stickers on a single page of a textbook. Are they causing anyone blindness, sickness, or physicla impairements? I think not. No problems there.

No, but we're sick of uneducated people trying to show a sign of intelligence. It's not coming through.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I agree that textbooks are forced upon ALL people in public school andmost people in private schools.

Textbook companies write their own version of history. Unfortunetly the hypocritical education system accepts these false texts and proliferates ignorance.

"Education System" becomes an oxymoron. A undoubtedly sad state of affairs for our nations youth.

But then again, it's not like most people on this forum haven't gone through the same thing.

And look at us, we turned out fine!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join