It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Refresh the ATS HomePage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
When I click on 'home', I am sent to a screen that lists a number of popular threads from a variety of ATS forums. I can only assume that this is the same for everyone... the home link sends all guests & members to this page.

I have used ATS for a handful of years now and I'm familiar with how the 'home' page updates and refreshes. However, there seems to be a recent change in how it functions in relation to updating the threads displayed on the page and the rate at which they are refreshed.

First, I have a question I'd like to go ahead and get out of the way. When I go to ATS's home page, I usually spend a few minutes looking over the thread titles and previews. When I find a thread that interests me, I open it in a new tab then I return to the tab that is still occupied by the ATS homepage. I continue scanning the page and I open any other threads I find interesting in a new tab too.

The frustrating thing that happens every time I do this is related to the page's refresh rate. As I scan the home page for interesting threads, I am constantly interrupted by the page automatically reloading. Many times when this happens the list of threads is rearranged, causing me to lose my place and essentially start reviewing the page from the beginning.

The question is, can the auto refresh/reload rate be changed. I'd like to be able to increase the time between reloads, which would decrease how often the page refreshes.

The main question I have, which concerns a different aspect of refreshing, is; How are the threads that appear on the top of the home page selected? I thought it was their popularity, but that seems to be incorrect. I have seen the same thread at the very top of the page for days. The thread is not very active, consisting of only 2 pages & 40+/- flags, yet it has remained atop the home page list for some time now.

Is there a way that I can modify the settings of this, so that the most popular threads are displayed on the home page and updated frequently?

Although I have experienced the frustrating reload/refresh of the home page, more recently it seems that the threads are not changed. No new threads seem to be added and no older threads removed, they seem to only be rearranged.

I can't say this is the case for every single thread, but it is most definitely the situation with the threads at the top of the page.

Thanks for any information or help you can give me.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
there might be settings within you Browser ,,,to prevent pages from Refresh/Reload....disable META Refresh,,,,

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This link may help - unless you are using Chrome or Safari: www.maketecheasier.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments. Since I posted this I have noticed the ATS homepage has successfully updated and changed the threads being displayed on the page.

The page has never stopped it's systematic reload/refresh process, it refreshes every few minutes. The issue was that, regardless of the refresh/reload attempts of ATS' homepage, the threads at the top of the page had not changed in several days, even though they were not very active.

Some may have changed, but it seemed as if the only change was the threads being rearranged on the homepage, instead of older/less active threads being replaced with newer/more active threads.

Seems like it is working properly now, so hopefully it will keep it up.

Thanks again for the replies and the advice!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Is there a way that I can modify the settings of this, so that the most popular threads are displayed on the home page and updated frequently?

No way to modify that I've seen.

Recent posts seems like the best option to me. You get a larger list, and can easily see which threads are active and when something is replied to just by hitting refresh.
edit on 0620140320141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join