It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tyranny of the United States Constitution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

The entire premise behind having the "District of Columbia" is, has been and will always be a valid one. That no one state can make claim to being the seat of power of these great United States.. That has not changed...

I agree and that is the way it should be. Quite ingenious if you ask me.

While there are tons of people that call DC "home", many are transient and retain residence elsewhere. That being said, when one moves to DC for a job or other reason, do they not also accept the Constitutional situation as it is? I don't imagine the individuals living in the "Inner City" care one whit about the issues you raise and the others.. Well they can always move..

Many of the "transient" workers you describe are still considered residents of their home state and have representation in Congress from that home state. But there are those that live in DC that are not represented at all as they call DC their home.

I suppose you're right, they accept the conditions when they move there or continue to live there and I'm sure many people really do not care one bit, but there have been attempts made by the citizens of DC to gain representation in congress and each time it has been squashed.

My point is this: America declared their independence from the British due to many issues they had with the empire, one including taxation without representation. Then we turn around and create a district in which anyone living within will not have a friend in congress to represent their best interests...but they will pay taxes.

Therefore, as defined by colonial writers and people like Joseph Story DC, the Constitution is hypocritical and opens the doors for tyranny.

ETA:

It has been this way since the founding of DC and now people are not satisfied?

Not dissatisfied, per se, just pointing it out to spark a great conversation. You joined in....so it was a success.

edit on 5-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I see no other idea but for District of Columbia to declare independence because of that. That's the American way, right?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadow1024
I see no other idea but for District of Columbia to declare independence because of that.

The other solution is to return the bulk of the District to Virginia and Maryland and have the Federal Government keep the Federal District (monuments, government buildings, museums, etc.) with no private residences remaining.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join